Oh those pesky helicopters

maturin

Whoever wrote the gunship AI did a very good job of modeling a pilot who wanted with his whole heart to be Tom Cruise from Top Gun, yet didn't have the grades and got stuck in a Hind instead. What I'm trying to say is, why are these helicopters dogfighting me?

When you are advancing along a front, with enemy IR-missile fast movers all over the sky, you're supposed to hug the ground and take out armored targets. In this case, I'm talking about a campaign mission, but it holds up equally well when you generate a mission (and the generator places the gunships at 2000m altitude for some reason). You DON'T take some potshots at the tanks and then climb into the sun to gank the ground attack aircraft who should be about to murder you if you so much as make eye contact.

Hellfires should not be shooting down aircraft. I won't call bullshit entirely, because I read that Israel once shot down a Cessna with one, but I do call bullshit on the AI that is so gung ho about taking on jets with them, especially in this gamey environment where THEY have the advantage (range of 8km versus an R-60 of 2km). And once the Mi-24Ds with their Shturm missiles go after me, then I call bullshit in a big way. Do these choppers even have automated targeting FCS? There's no way in hell the gunner can keep a speeding jet manually locked with the laser, not when a momentary error will send the missile out into the wild blue yonder. And what is he doing at 5000m coming after me?

Sure, my noobish flying and lack of situational awareness is what got me shot down by a puny little chopper in reality, but only because of the brazen and unexpected decisions the AI makes, doing routinely what would be a tactical abberation in the real world.

I have no idea whether ED did any research on the acrobatic abilities of laser-guided AT missiles, but until proven otherwise, I rather doubt they have the air-chasing abilities seen in-game. Taking down a 90mph cessna at level flight is one thing, but heading off a maneuvering jet is another. Tanks don't move that fast.

Edited by maturin

I have no idea whether ED did any research on the acrobatic abilities of laser-guided AT missiles, but until proven otherwise, I rather doubt they have the air-chasing abilities seen in-game.

I've seen video of a hellfire engagement of a ground target where the terminal dive-down maneuver and change in direction was stunningly abrupt. These missiles apparently do have the baseline manoeuvre performance to do what the sim depicts. Whether they can shootdown aircraft or not, I don't know.

I can understand the rant, however, I would remind you to please keep the language you use clean.

Forum Rules:

1.1. - Lock On and Digital Combat Simulator are entertainment-line products and these forums are intended for a general audience. As such, it is strictly prohibited to post material considered inappropriate for minors or discriminating toward any individual or group, including:

Profanity

* Adult content (sexually explicit and/or relating to the use of drugs and alcohol)

* National, ethnic, racial, religious and sexual discrimination

Edited by BigfootMSR

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

I can understand the rant, however, I would remind you to please keep the language you use clean.

Forum Rules:

1.1. - Lock On and Digital Combat Simulator are entertainment-line products and these forums are intended for a general audience. As such, it is strictly prohibited to post material considered inappropriate for minors or discriminating toward any individual or group, including:

Profanity

* Adult content (sexually explicit and/or relating to the use of drugs and alcohol)

* National, ethnic, racial, religious and sexual discrimination

Oh please, were all adults here. I hear worse from 2 year olds these days.

His language was fine.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

It is true that I have heard such things from small children as well. However, since we are all adults here, it is our obligation to not contribute to this bad behavior. In fact, its your obligation as an adult to teach a child that such language is inappropriate and wrong.

However, "were all adults here,"

Oh please, were all adults here. I hear worse from 2 year olds these days.

His language was fine.

Is flawed. Just the other day, I saw a post by a 12 year old and 16 year old who do play this game. SO, this statement is fundamentally flawed. I'm not trying to be the police, or be degrading in anyway. I was simply reminding the OP about the forums rules and to please keep it clean because children DO play this game.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

I kind of like it actually. It's more fun/comical seeing helicopters trying to engage jets (lol).

If you get shot down by it... well... how did *THAT* happen? :)

And yes, Hellfire should have plausible enough capability to try against slow moving aircraft or even CAS craft in optimal geometry. It's just that it doesn't have proximity fuse optimal for AA use; but it can pull some decent maneuvers and also uses PN homing.

If you're not maneuvering hard enough, it's entirely believable and well plausible that a helicopter can keep the laser locked onto you using Auto-Tracking.