MiG-23MLD with LD/SD capability ?

MBot

The MiG-23MLD in Lock On has look down/shoot down capabilitys. Does this correspond with reality ? I wasn't aware the MLD got a new radar system. Alfa, please enlight me :)

If this is indeed correct, then I would like to open a motion to model an older MiG-23 variant aswell. Fighters without LD/SD capabilitys are a great way for a mission designer to force the player to fly low and perhaps the only reason why the player should fly low at all in Lock On, apart from the fun aspect. NATO has such an old bird ( F-4 ) so the Su-25 drivers get their reason to fly low, but on the russian side non non-LD/SD aircraft exists.

Yes the MiG-23MLD does have LD/SD IRL. The radar fitted to the MLD, the then new SP-23L radar is a improvement over the one in the previous MF. It has a range of 56 miles (90km) rather than 37 miles (60km) and has improved LD/SD and jamming abilities. But the MLD LD/SD radar has a lot of limitations when compared to an F-15 for example.

But the MLD LD/SD radar has a lot of limitations when compared to an F-15 for example.

Like, not being LD/SD, for example? ;)

LD/SD = coherent = pulse-Doppler

The MiG-23MLD radar only has MTI envelope-detection technology. This allows it to occassionally see a very strong target against very weak background clutter, but there's no frequency filtering as in LD/SD.

The word "improved" can be applied as debonnairely to a 1% improvement as to a 1000% improvement.

-SK