Central Trimmer Methord Not Working

LupinYonder

Hi all

Yes yes its a trimmer question but I do know the systems quite well and this is not a n00b question ( I don't think )

I have noticed recently (in the latest auto update to DCSW possibly) that the centre trimmer method is no longer working.

When I first noticed this problem I went looking for the relevant Lua files and found 2 copies of the one I was after.

D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\FMOptions.lua

Which contained only

-- HelicopterTrimmerZonePitch = 0.05

-- reserved

and

D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\FM\FMOptions.lua

which contained

----------- for new helicopter trimmer method -----------------------------------------------

----------- (joystick will be disable after trim until it come to neutral zone) -------------

HelicopterTrimmerZonePitch = 0.05

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRoll = 0.05

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRudder = 0.1

---------- for old helicopter trimmer method ------------------------------------------------

----------- (aperiodic process) ------------------------------------------------------------

HelicopterTrimmerTauInverse = 7.0 --lower value - decrease trim speed after trim button release.

CyclicZPitch = 8.25 -- 8.25 Real Ka-50

CyclicMinXPitch = 15.0 -- 15 Real Ka-50 (îò ñåáÿ)

CyclicMaxXPitch = 9.5 -- 9.5 Real Ka-50 (íà ñåáÿ)

GeneralPitch = 16.0 -- ýòî äåëüòà! (GeneralPitchMax = GeneralPitch + GeneralPitch0) Real Ka-50: GeneralPitchMax = 22 ?

GeneralPitch0 = 3.0 -- 7.0 ?

DifferentPitch = 2.5 -- 2.5 Real Ka-50

AP_K_PitchPilot = 0.25

AP_K_RollPilot = 0.8

AP_K_RudderPilot = -0.15

AP_K_Vx = -0.02

AP_K_Yaw = 0.7

NoseWheelStaticFricK = 0.71

NoseWheelSideFricK = 0.73

NoseWheelRollFricK = 0.025

NoseWheelGlideFricK = 0.58

MainWheelStaticFricK = 0.71

MainWheelSideFricK = 0.73

MainWheelRollFricK = 0.03

MainWheelGlideFricK = 0.69

MainWheelBrakeMomentMax = 6000.0

NoseGearPostDamper = 37

This is file and correct as I understand it.

Now the effects in game :

When trimming using the central trim method, the joystick inputs reactivate immediately after trimming and not once the joystick has been re centred.

I have included a track file of my testing. It is a DCSW:BS2 Track file.

In it I am trimming my aircraft on the runway to the limits of the inputs without returning my joystick to the centre. The control inputs reactivate strait after the trimmer is released. This leads to somewhat bouncy trimming while in the air and is not nearly as smooth as when the central trimmer was working for me.

Any Ideas ?

P.S. Have now included DxDiag.txt

TrimmerTest.trk

DxDiag.txt

Edited by LupinYonder

I am using an x52 pro but an inaccurate centre position is not the cause. What I think you are describing is when the inputs don't reactivate after trim because the stick is not in the defined centre zone.

My problem is kinda the opposite. Read the red bit in the first post :-)

Edited by LupinYonder

You haven't by chance implemented the "unchain rudder" mod, have you? If you did, that will cancel the return-to-center wait.

I haven't but I will look at the relevant lua for this mod and see if it sheds any light on my problem. This really is making flying the shark tricky and annoying, its like being back to my first time flying.

Ok, Just checked the files used in the Unchain rudder mod. They seem to change the Macro_handler.lua and the Macro_sequencies.lua

These two lua are also changed by the "NVG-Mask for DCS World RC3'' (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1558358#post1558358)

I haven't tried RC4 yet. I will replace the affected Lua files with the originals and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by LupinYonder

Yes. Post #7 in the link is exactly what I do. (The poster seems to think it doesn't work for X52, but it works fine for me.) Anyway, as soon as the x z is sent, you no longer have to recenter the joystick to have authority again.

Now the effects in game :

When trimming using the central trim method, the joystick inputs reactivate immediately after trimming and not once the joystick has been re centred.

I simply meant that this behavior would be explained if you had used the xz unchain rudder method. That is all. Since you do not use it, then the cause must be elsewhere.

Sorry for late answer, good for you. was using X52 pro aswell with clean install, never tried any mod btw.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

I'm not running any mods and the trimmer's not working properly for me.

If I watch the in-cockpit joystick, after clicking Trim it jerks to the left or right, depending on which way I'm trying to bank, so that the Trim is then set much further to the left or right than I was holding it at. Same with pitch, although the joystick moving after clicking Trim isn't quite as pronounced or obvious.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I'm not running any mods and the trimmer's not working properly for me.

If I watch the in-cockpit joystick, after clicking Trim it jerks to the left or right, depending on which way I'm trying to bank, so that the Trim is then set much further to the left or right than I was holding it at. Same with pitch, although the joystick moving after clicking Trim isn't quite as pronounced or obvious.

And your using the central trim method ? The problem your having does not sound quite like the one I was having. If the control inputs are re-activating strait after trim without re centring your stick and your using the central method then its the same problem.

Hmm, maybe it's not the same. Whether I enable Central Trim or not, it always banks/pitches further than I'm holding it at when I click Trim but only with Central Trim unticked do I see the in-cockpit joystick jerk further than the position I'm holding it at.

I'll test your problem to see if I've got that too.

EDIT: OK, no. With Central Trim mode enabled the stick is locked out until I re-centre it. Trim is still only usable by holding it before banking/pitching though, because of the oversteering bug.

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

That over trim thing is well known and a cause of many trim threads I think. My personal opinion is that its todo with trimming inputs that are curved, I wonder it still over trims if you have strait axis curves in axis tune.

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll try resetting them and see if it helps, thanks.