NVG ANVS-9 more REAL...

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Shameless bump.. Have you had any progress? :)

Things need time , patience is the word.

And there will be no update until a semi-final DCS:World is on my HDD, as it brings some possibilities I didn't was thinking of before.

And zarthrag has also one or two, maybe even three surprises in his pocket.

Edited by PeterP

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK - This post is just to create a little hype...:)

I'm now able to draw my own textures as a overlay inside of DCS without the need of Third-party tools.

Here is a little preview of a test:

Screen_120923_140018_zps8df7604d.jpg

This overlay is rendered directly in DCS -but up to now you will lost the control indicator, because I hijacked this function for my texture overlay - so it is functional by a key command [RShift+Enter]...

When all is properly tested I will write a macro in DCS that enables the NVG with the masking via [RShift+Enter] instad of [RShift+H].

So the overlay and the NVG will be triggered by a single key-press/Controller button.

Sacrificing the control indicator seems up to now the most convenient option instead of installing completely new input files (and forcing you to remap your controllers) that will add a new key-press.

Edited by PeterP

I removed my mod because it is obsolete now.

Please head over to nrgized thread.

He implemented the features in a much more elegant way.

>>> NVG Mod

legacy data about the old mod :

NVG-Mask for DCS World 1.2.1 Release candidate 4b

(see attachment - need your feedback)

Change-log RC4b:

Fix:

-New instruction and file-structure of the package.

Separates the installations for each module to fix the the crash when coping files for a module you do not own into the DCS World root folder.

-Updated the "Macro_sequencies.lua" for P-51D to include the new auto-start sequence that came with 1.2.1 .

-removed accidental slipped in new trim logic from the "Ka-50" files.

added:

-New NVG Shaders for P-51D and A-10C

People that use a edited graphics.cfg may want to check the changes in it.

>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1585674&postcount=243

-included in this mod the option to use the "unchain rudder from trim" logic for Ka-50

>>> more info : http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/218201/

Example images:

Singel Screen 16:9

Screen_120924_184059_zps5e4f4205.jpg

Dual Screen side by side and Camera Left both 5:4

Screen_120924_185210_zpsd53928df.jpg

Triple Head each 5:4

Screen_120924_190229_zpsf66ffc0f.jpg

Default shader

Screen_120929_173622.jpg

New shader

Screen_120929_164842.jpg

Real image:

NVG-Night-Vision-Anvis-9-4.jpg

>>> http://liandigitalmedia.com/helicopter-nvg/

Watch the Video

Technical Notes

We built a custom rig to secure two 3 CCD, 1 lux cameras side by side for simultaneous recording. Anvis 9 NVGs were aligned and secured to one camera to simulate a pilot’s view through night vision goggles while a second camera simultaneously recorded a pilot’s view without the benefit of NVGs.

No NVG:

Screen_120929_210528.jpg

Default shaders:

Screen_120929_211335.jpg

New Shaders:

Screen_120929_205827.jpg

The Readme.txt:

NVG-Mask for DCS World 1.2.1 Release candidate 4b

ACHTUNG!:

You will lost the Control Indicator!

\\\\\

Instruction for Single Screen / Dual Head (Main on left) / Triple Head users:

Choose the Module you want to mod by opening the appropriate folder.

Open the folder named

"Single- Dual- Triple-Screen Setup"

and choose your Setup.

Than copy the contend of your folder into your DCS World 1.2.1 installation

Example target path:

G:Program FilesEagle DynamicsDCS World

That's it!

\\\\\

Instruction for Custom-, Multi-, PitBuilder-Screen Setup users:

(and all that doesn't find a fitting pre-set)

Choose the Module you want to mod by opening the appropriate folder.

Copy the contend of the folder named

"Custom- Multi- PitBuilder-Screen Setup"

into your DCS World 1.2.1 installation.

(Now you can already test the function in DCS by choosing

"NVG_Mask example" in Options>System>Monitors)

Example target path:

G:Program FilesEagle DynamicsDCS World

Than resize/place the new export "NVG_Mask" into your "Monitorsetup.lua"

You can a example of this export in

DCS WorldConfigMonitorSetupNVG_Mask Example.lua

and it looks like this:

NVG_Mask =

-- ideally width=height (aspect 1:1) and covering 50° of your default FOV (the zoom setting you use most),

-- so the NVG image is ~40°

{

x = (screen.width * 0.5) - (screen.height * 0.5);

y = 0;

width = screen.height;

height = screen.height;

}

Once you have Placed the NVG_Mask where you want it,

take a in-game screenshot with the NVG_Mask visible [RCtrl+Enter]

and edit it like I show in this Video instruction:

Save this edited Image in 1024x1024px as focus.png in

DCS WorldBazarEffectsPostMotionEffectNightVisionGoogle

That's it!

\\\\\

Key-bindings for the the NVG

A-10C:

[RShift+H] (No change)

Controls > A-10C Real > Sensors > Toggle goggles

P-51D:

[RShift+H] (No change)

Controls > P-51D Real > Sensors > Night Vision Goggles

Ka-50:

HMS = [H] (No change)

Controls > Ka-50 Sim > Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR > Helmet-mounted system On/Off

NVG = [RCtrl+Enter]

Controls > Ka-50 Sim > General > Show controls Indicator

\\\\\

Change-log RC4:

Fix:

-New instruction and file-structure of the package.

Separates the installations for each module to fix the the crash when coping files for a module you do not own into the DCS World root folder.

-Updated the "Macro_sequencies.lua" for P-51D to include the new auto-start sequence that came with 1.2.1 .

added:

-New NVG Shaders for P-51D and A-10C

-included in this mod the option to use the "unchain rudder from trim" logic for Ka-50

>>> more info : http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/218201/

-PeterP

EDIT:

Before you want to tell me that the shape of the NVG_Mask isn't right....

Please read this Postings before commenting:

Originally Posted by 213 viewpost.gif

ask anyone who has used a binocular night vision device.

Ooh, ooh, ask me, ask me! I just used a set of AN/AVS-9's last night for nearly 4 hours!

Originally Posted by 213 viewpost.gif

it's not like looking through a toilet roll at all. perfect circle=wrong.

Oh but it IS like looking through a toilet paper roll, and it IS a perfect circle!

Sorry.

Today, i spent a lot of time in my squadron equipment room with my helmets and the ANVS-9. The result is this one:

The modification of PeterP on Blackshark video is impressive, is exactly what i see in my NVGs. This morning i carefully paid attention to NVG FOV. I wore my helmets with the NVG and focalising on what i could and couldn't see.

I noticed that i can't see the upper portion at all (due to "baseball cup effect"), which is hidden by my helmet and by the structure of the NVG. On the contrary, I can clearly see everythings on right left and down side of the tube. Imagining the FOV as a clock, i can't see anythings from 11 oclock to 1 oclock.

Another interesting aspect is the ovalized sight: if i focus on the inner part of the tubes my sight is a little bit ovalized, on the contrary, if i look far away (as i normally do), i canonly see a unique circular tube, as i previsouly said.

Thank you all, expecially PeterP for awesome work with the game modification.

Attached Thumbnails attachment.php?attachmentid=57619&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1318969904 attachment.php?attachmentid=57620&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1318969904 attachment.php?attachmentid=57621&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1318969904

question @ paulrkiii, giaco1 and all others out there that have actually used the ANVS-9

can you tell me how many degrees of your view is blocked when wearing them - and which form of the mask is more realistic - please comment on these pictures (1:/2:/3: ) or make your own example to tell me how it should look:

1:

binocular5fli.jpg

2:

ANVS9Mask.jpg

It is very important to know it before I start working on different versions for different aspect-ratios,

because when it is wrong - and other are complaining.... I don't have to edit every single aspect-ratio again..and again.... wink.gif(right now this modification works only with 16:9)

Taped already two tubes together that fit the size of the real goggles:

anvis9.jpg

and will tape them with a strong wire to my headset at home to see what I will not see when wearing them (smile.gif )... but I would really like to hear your opinion.

Edit:

I think I nailed it fairly well down - and made also a drawing that reflects my observation - the mask must have a similar shape like on this image:

3:

NVG-FOV-1.jpg

Edited by PeterP

Very nice. i can't wait to try this out!

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Thanks for this PeterP, just a couple of questions.

1) What is the Controls Indicator? Just want to check I don't mind losing it, although I probably don't if I don't know what it is ;)

2) Did the KA-50 not have any Night Vision before? Looking at some key command lists, I can't actually see a key for it, although I've seen videos where the entire screen (not just the HMS like you've done) is in Night Vision.

Incidentally, I was a bit confused to find a ControlsIndicator_page.lua in both step 1 and step 2 (I'm using Dual Screen 16:10). Perhaps there's a way to put this only in one of the steps to avoid confusion?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

1+2 can be answered by spending a little time with the manual and some few seconds inside the cockpit .

3:

NO - This is done by purpose . Step 1 prepares the install already for a centred symmetrical setting. - so the lua isn't needed to be included in the other pre-sets.

The asymmetric Dual Screen setup is a special case that needs another setting and I added it later in the process of composing the zip.

I think your confusion is negligible...just Imagine you had to go the route of all other Multi-monitor users to position it by your self instead.

1+2 can be answered by spending a little time with the manual and some few seconds inside the cockpit .

Well like I said, I can't see a key for Night Vision in the keylists. Perhaps I'm overlooking it amongst the hundreds of keys. I've installed your mod already anyway, so I'm not going to be able to see what the Controls Indicator is without uninstalling it again ;)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Nice mod, cheers.

Well like I said, I can't see a key for Night Vision in the keylists. Perhaps I'm overlooking it amongst the hundreds of keys. I've installed your mod already anyway, so I'm not going to be able to see what the Controls Indicator is without uninstalling it again ;)

I'll answer for you :music_whistling:

The Ka50 has a helmet mounted targeting system (i cant remember the correct name for it)... that uses H keystroke by default. For night missions you can replace this with NVGs... via the ground crew comms menu (if i remember correctly). So you need to have the NVG loaded via contacting the ground crew and asking for it to be installed. The NVGs then use the H keystoke by default. In the key listing NVG might not be listed.

The 'control indicator' is an overlay that shows you the position of your control inputs.. rudder, throttle, pitch, roll. it is only normally needed for fault finding with your HOTAS/Pedals..

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

NVG-Mask for DCS World 1.2.0 Release candidate 2

(probably also final Release - need your feedback)

Custom-, Multi-, PitBuilder-Screen Setup users:

Now The NVG_Mask is a "ordinary" export and can be controlled via your "Monitor-Setup".lua

Much easier to Handel now! - Read the ReadMe!

Single Screen / Dual Head (Main on left) / Triple Head users:

You don't have to reload it if you have already RC1 working - there is no change for you.

Edited by PeterP

NVG-Mask for DCS World 1.2.0 Release candidate 2

(probably also final Release - need your feedback)

Custom-, Multi-, PitBuilder-Screen Setup users:

Now The NVG_Mask is a "ordinary" export and can be controlled via your "Monitor-Setup".lua

Much easier to Handel now! - Read the ReadMe!

Single Screen / Dual Head (Main on left) / Triple Head users:

You don't have to reload it if you have already RC1 working - there is no change for you.

Another Great PeterP Job! you are amazing man!

That's a good news if you know what i'm thinkin' about... :thumbup:

how about using the backup and looking up what "HMS" in the Ka-50 is and/or using the forum search with these separate phrases:

1. "controls indicator"

2. "Ka-50 HMS"

I managed to find a description of both in the manual. In case anyone else doesn't know, the controls indicator gives an on-screen readout of the stick/throttle/rudder pedals to help with calibration problems (so no big loss) and the pilot has to choose between HMS and NVG before take-off, which would explain why I couldn't find a way to activate NVG, as I had HMS equipped!

I presume NVG normally (i.e. without this mod) puts the whole screen into Night Vision, as I've seen in videos but I can't be bothered to uninstall the mod to confirm this.

That's a good news if you know what i'm thinkin' about... :thumbup:

Yes - last night I just discovered the key to "Pandora's Box" ...

pandora4_347151856_std.jpg

I'm now able to draw almost everything what comes in my mind as a Common/Collimate/Helmet export... and even placing it inside the cockpit.

an example :

turning the the knee-board of the P-51D in to a universal Knee-board for all modules and also exporting it.

, yes Rainmaker - that also includes the possibility for Bino-view and Sun-Visor...

I (we) will have to use it very wisely! :)

...But before I go on with it I will wait for a final P-51D and a updated DCS World engine.

(I also think it is time for me to familiarize myself with 3DMax and refresh my C++ knowledge...)

so lets first make one step after another:

need feed-back and bug-reports (If there are any?..) for the NVG_Masking.

I'm looking especially for M-Monitor users feedback and the most common difficulties while setting it up first time.

I will than try to compensate it by editing the readme.

Once this is done I will Load it up to the user-files section.

Edited by PeterP

Hello Peter,

I am using the RC2 Dual Monitor setup version of the NVG-Mod and I found a little problem with the laser/IR-beam visibility.

When you fire the laser/IR beam of the LITENING pod, you are not able to see the actual beam/ray. Perhaps you can test it yourself and see if you experience it too!

Greetz and keep up the good work,

Tim

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it got tits or wings, it makes you trouble!!

Please post a short track - and also tell at which time in track it is happening.

Than I will have a look.

Tell me also which exact version and the total resolution you are using.

Any other mods installed ?

Edited by PeterP

Nice work!

Is possible to add a sound? For take and wear NVG? I see this for mod NVG for Ka-50.

screen120926222544.jpg

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hi Peter. Is there a chance you can add static fuz to the green?

My photo from my experience in Afghanistan...

61122_1637722426025_2680950_n.jpg

61277_1637721506002_3656233_n.jpg

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD