Altimeter setting

Invisibull

I've seen some discussion on this before, but, as a practical matter, exactly how should i be setting my altimeter when doing a ramp start? Seems that in multiplayer the altitudes in the TAD are always off by over 1000 feet as compared to hud/altimeter readings whether i leave the setting alone, or set it to reflect the airbase altitude. Oddly, this doesn't seem to be the case in single player.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Set the altimeter so that your altitude matches the airfield elevation. (QNH).

Mind that the tower is giving you QFE. Setting that will give you a 0 altitude at the airfield.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

By "on the TAD", you mean the nr shown underneath the aircraft symbols?

They never show exact altitude, but are always rounded.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

yes, but it's not rounded, it was off by well over 1000 ft. I.e., the entire flight was at exactly 20k on the altimeter, but the TAD symbols showed 18k

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Did you set the altimeter to QNE after take off?

Not sure what the exact flight level is in Georgia, but we always st QNE when crossing 10.000 ft.

QNE is 2992.

dUJOta.jpg

Yes, that's the default setting, which is what i meant by leaving it alone. It has no bearing whatsoever on the TAD-altimeter discrepancy i'm trying to alleviate.

What's the weather setup in the multiplayer missions where this is happening? Specifically, the temperature?

If the temperature is significantly colder than standard, it would be expected that the barometric altimeter would read higher than actual altitude, and this is not corrected for by the altimeter setting. At least that is what happens in the real world, so I'm wondering if that is modelled in the sim too.

In which case perhaps the TAD info is driven by the altitude from the EGI rather than the barometric altimeter, and so it's not affected by the temperature? Just a theory that could use some testing as I have seen similar mismatch between baro alt and waypoint alt in missions I've design with cold weather.

Just searching through the manual for more info on this, and found the description of the altitude readout on the HUD might be relevant:

Barometric Altitude. The altitude display is in feet and is displayed up to 5 digits. The barometric altitude range is -2,000 to 38,000 feet and is displayed to the nearest 10 feet. In NAV and Air-to-Air modes, the display is the uncorrected CADC barometric altitude. The displayed altitude in these modes should be the same as the cockpit altimeter. In GUNS, CCIP, and CCRP Modes, the displayed altitude is corrected by LASTE for installation errors, non-standard temperatures, and non-standard pressures.

Does the altitude shown on your HUD change to match what's showing up on the TAD if you (for example) go into GUNS master mode?