Monitors

As the tittle says guys.

After a little advice on monitors for a tripple screen set up or am i just beter off getting a big screen tv.

I sit at a desk so would only be 3 ft away from screen/screens.

Budget wise i have £1500 to use, but there are so many to choose from i am at a loss where to start.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Resolution is more important than size.

If you have more pixels you can display more image information with better quality.

So forget about TVs, they are all 1920x1080 or less.

I would consider three 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution and use them in portrait mode.

Not sure if it would fit in your budget because it depends what monitor brand and from where you buy them.

What are your system specs.

Don't ask for that i have no idea where to look or find it, all i know is it was my sons he gave it to me its 8 months old i asked him if it would run this game.

He said no probs dad it'll run that game plus all the other stuff you want to connect with space to spare.

System Spec.

Resolution is more important than size.

If you have more pixels you can display more image information with better quality.

So forget about TVs, they are all 1920x1080 or less.

I would consider three 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution and use them in portrait mode.

Not sure if it would fit in your budget because it depends what monitor brand and from where you buy them.

Thank you, in portrait mode i ask why is this better.

Only most set ups i see are running in landscape mode.

System Spec.

Sorin is correct in that TV's do not have the resolution on their own, and that is where multi monitors score.

Three times 2560 x 1440 is a lot of resolution though and will bring most PCs to there knees in DCS. Remember that DCS will have to use only use one GPU to do that even with Crossfire / SLI.

More affordably 1920 x either 1200 or 1080 monitors would cost less and need less power to run at a reasonable FPS.

The debate over Landscape or portrait is very much personal preference. I haven't run a Portrait setup but I can see that it would be better for an Air to Air engagement, whereas I think landscape is better for a ground attack scenario.

Of late I've been running the Mustang using SoFTH to project onto 4 monitors in a Tee shape with the benefit that the lower monitor is a touchscreen enabling button pushing within the cockpit area.

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Thank you, in portrait mode i ask why is this better.

Only most set ups i see are running in landscape mode.

Portrait gives you more height, which is important in flight simulators.

With portrait you get 4320x2560 total resolution while with landscape you get 7680x1440.

7680 is very wide and not useful for DCS.

Once you have the monitors you can try both landscape and portrait and then make your decision.

Point of caution: you will need powerful hardware to drive such resolution.

I use 5 monitors. Download/SaveAs this image to see how much detail DCS displays with lots of pixels:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=79228&d=1365014115

Portrait gives you more height, which is important in flight simulators.

With portrait you get 4320x2560 total resolution while with landscape you get 7680x1440.

7680 is very wide and not useful for DCS.

Once you have the monitors you can try both landscape and portrait and then make your decision.

Point of caution: you will need powerful hardware to drive such resolution.

I use 5 monitors. Download/SaveAs this image to see how much detail DCS displays with lots of pixels:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=79228&d=1365014115

Sorin thats a nice set up you have there.

I take it the picture is some sort of screen shot on there seems to be no bezels.

So tv's out of the question then.

System Spec.

Don't ask for that i have no idea where to look or find it, all i know is it was my sons he gave it to me its 8 months old i asked him if it would run this game.

He said no probs dad it'll run that game plus all the other stuff you want to connect with space to spare.

Honestly.. if you dont know the specs, then you shouldn't be trying to use capabilities that require a certain level of hardware. Secondly if you dont know how to look up the specs of the machine on the machine, then you shouldnt be installing more equipment, eye finity isnt simply plug n play, it requires technical knowledge to setup the hardware and software, let alone the application that's gonna use it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If im not mistaken that would be in an ingame Printscreen. There wont be any bezels because as far as the PC is concerned its all one image.

Im in the same position as yourself at the moment more screens, projectors or just a big screen with track IR.

I saw some dirt cheap and well rated AOC screens 27" 200-250 each.

http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2757fh

Very Slim Bezels. But im going to hold out for the Oculus Rift if I can. and if thats tripe in 3d I hope the 2d should work as other Headsets do like the Sony HMZ thing.

In regards to Portrait Mode, I dont think the Tech is quite there yet, there is always either a huge thick bezel around evenly or thin Top and sides with a thick base. Obviously the latter is good for Landscape but not Portrait.

Im assuming you have already purchased a trackIR?

If not this is the first point of call IMHO. Trouble is I think there is a new one coming out sometime this year, they restarted their newsletter, added a Employment ops bit to the site etc etc.

So for me its sticking as I am until I get the oculus rift or the (I HOPE... This isnt a release date anyone...) new track IR. I cant find the TrackIR5 to buy anywhere but Ebay anyway.

In Short. Forget screens at the moment start building a cockpit.

Oh and first thing is first, before anyone starts recommending random mixes that will cripple you PC get a CPUz and GPUz screenshots up, ive heard people say that things like GTX460TI will run anything and that really is not the case when it comes to DCS in Multi Monitor.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Edited by Subliminal-SS

Ok so I am looking at these any good or not seem to have good reveiws.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-AS&groupid=17&catid=510

System Spec.

If im not mistaken that would be in an ingame Printscreen. There wont be any bezels because as far as the PC is concerned its all one image.

Im in the same position as yourself at the moment more screens, projectors or just a big screen with track IR.

I saw some dirt cheap and well rated AOC screens 27" 200-250 each.

http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2757fh

Very Slim Bezels. But im going to hold out for the Oculus Rift if I can. and if thats tripe in 3d I hope the 2d should work as other Headsets do like the Sony HMZ thing.

In regards to Portrait Mode, I dont think the Tech is quite there yet, there is always either a huge thick bezel around evenly or thin Top and sides with a thick base. Obviously the latter is good for Landscape but not Portrait.

Im assuming you have already purchased a trackIR?

If not this is the first point of call IMHO. Trouble is I think there is a new one coming out sometime this year, they restarted their newsletter, added a Employment ops bit to the site etc etc.

So for me its sticking as I am until I get the oculus rift or the (I HOPE... This isnt a release date anyone...) new track IR. I cant find the TrackIR5 to buy anywhere but Ebay anyway.

In Short. Forget screens at the moment start building a cockpit.

Oh and first thing is first, before anyone starts recommending random mixes that will cripple you PC get a CPUz and GPUz screenshots up, ive heard people say that things like GTX460TI will run anything and that really is not the case when it comes to DCS in Multi Monitor.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Yeah got trackir 5 already typical they're gonna bring another out grrrr.

System Spec.

Honestly.. if you dont know the specs, then you shouldn't be trying to use capabilities that require a certain level of hardware. Secondly if you dont know how to look up the specs of the machine on the machine, then you shouldnt be installing more equipment, eye finity isnt simply plug n play, it requires technical knowledge to setup the hardware and software, let alone the application that's gonna use it.

Seriously dude back off lead me to somehting positive or just don't comment at all.

My specs are above and beyond what they need to be just because i personally don't know where they are is not really a big issue.

My son built this for me he checked all the specs of this game spent sometime on here looking around.

He asked me what i wanted it do and what i would be connecting up he also knew my budget was pretty much unlimited so he didn't cheap out on me.

Now i would be asking him but he's a bit busy with study and work he will be over this weekend as its my bday i will ask him then but for now i am asking here so try yo help me please.

While he is here just for you i will get him to add the specs of this system to my posts. Not that i am into bragging as it just seems with that rubbish at the bottom of every post everyone is trying to out do each other.

Bit like being back in school my bike is faster than your bike who really cares.

System Spec.

Seriously dude back off lead me to somehting positive or just don't comment at all.

My specs are above and beyond what they need to be just because i personally don't know where they are is not really a big issue.

My son built this for me he checked all the specs of this game spent sometime on here looking around.

He asked me what i wanted it do and what i would be connecting up he also knew my budget was pretty much unlimited so he didn't cheap out on me.

Now i would be asking him but he's a bit busy with study and work he will be over this weekend as its my bday i will ask him then but for now i am asking here so try yo help me please.

While he is here just for you i will get him to add the specs of this system to my posts. Not that i am into bragging as it just seems with that rubbish at the bottom of every post everyone is trying to out do each other.

Bit like being back in school my bike is faster than your bike who really cares.

You need to calm down, my response was a clean professional opinion.

- if you dont know what the specs are, how do you know they are above and beyond what they need to be?

- if you dont know how to click a few icons to get your system specs, then how do you expect to setup the software to run correctly?

You need more than just screens,

-You'd need a Video Card that can support Multiple Displays

-You'd Need An Active MiniDP to HDMI/DVI Adapter or Active DisplayPORT to HDMI/DVI Adapter depending on the Video Card.

-You'd Need the Software knowledge and software to run the configuration wizard for multiple displays.

-The Easy Way, you still need the Software and Setup knowledge to setup the displays w/ Bezel Compensation

-The Hard Way, you need to write your own display .LUA File.

Specs in Signatures are there to help people diagnose problems, not to get into "who has a bigger rig" contest.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You need to calm down, my response was a clean professional opinion.

- if you dont know what the specs are, how do you know they are above and beyond what they need to be?

- if you dont know how to click a few icons to get your system specs, then how do you expect to setup the software to run correctly?

You need more than just screens,

-You'd need a Video Card that can support Multiple Displays

-You'd Need An Active MiniDP to HDMI/DVI Adapter or Active DisplayPORT to HDMI/DVI Adapter depending on the Video Card.

-You'd Need the Software knowledge and software to run the configuration wizard for multiple displays.

-The Easy Way, you still need the Software and Setup knowledge to setup the displays w/ Bezel Compensation

-The Hard Way, you need to write your own display .LUA File.

Specs in Signatures are there to help people diagnose problems, not to get into "who has a bigger rig" contest.

Did you read this line.

I can assure you it is well within spec i can run 6 screens if i want to but don't all i want is 3 and all i want is a little nudge in the right direction to some good quality screens.

But thanks for ya help really appreciate it.

Instead of bleating on about where are your specs why don't you point me in the right direction as to where i could find them so i can help you to see my system specs.

If it helps i have this icon on my ribbon called AI Suite II from Asus it seems to have some information in it but i don't know what you are looking for from it.

System Spec.

Sorin thats a nice set up you have there.

I take it the picture is some sort of screen shot on there seems to be no bezels.

So tv's out of the question then.

Yes, of course it is a screenshot. I wish I could do it with projectors and have no bezels but I do not have the room for that.

Screenshot was done with Fraps and after that I have added the Helios screenshot done separately. Instruments are all at zero because only Helios was running.

Yes, I would stay away from TVs because of low resolution, higher latency and lower image quality.

If anybody here can come up with a better display solution at about same money than 3 x 2560x1440 monitors please reply.

Of course there is 3 x 2560x1600 monitors but the price jumps up significantly.

I ended up with 1 x 2560x1600 and 4 x 1920x1200 because it was not a clean design, I have got the 30" monitor first and then added the others in time.

If I would do a clean design now 3 x 2560x1600 portrait is my solution.

That is a lower resolution monitor (1920x1080).

I was thinking of something like this for 2560x1440:

http://www.pc-canada.com/item/XW476A8%23ABA.html

Nice but what about one of these types http://www.scan.co.uk/products/29-lg-29ea93-p-ips-led-ultrawide-219-performance-full-hd-hdmi-displayport-dvi-2560x1080-300cd-m2-50m

System Spec.

Those are 2560x1080, very wide.

3 of those in portrait will provide 3240x2560.

The problem with these is that the 1080 pixels width (in portrait) is too narrow, it is like you look at the world through a narrow window.

You can easily try/test with a normal 1920x1080 monitor in portrait mode because it has the same 1080 pixels width.

The difference between 1440 and 1080 is significant for this purpose in my opinion.

Of course you can do 3 x 1920x1080 in landscape if you want, which is much more cost effective than the higher resolution monitors.

As in everything we should always think about value for our money and what the objective is.

Those are 2560x1080, very wide.

3 of those in portrait will provide 3240x2560.

The problem with these is that the 1080 pixels width (in portrait) is too narrow, it is like you look at the world through a narrow window.

You can easily try/test with a normal 1920x1080 monitor in portrait mode because it has the same 1080 pixels width.

The difference between 1440 and 1080 is significant for this purpose in my opinion.

Of course you can do 3 x 1920x1080 in landscape if you want, which is much more cost effective than the higher resolution monitors.

As in everything we should always think about value for our money and what the objective is.

Sorry Sorin i should've said i was thinking of 1 of those instead of 3 or am i just being stupid.

System Spec.

Did you read this line.

I can assure you it is well within spec i can run 6 screens if i want to but don't all i want is 3 and all i want is a little nudge in the right direction to some good quality screens.

But thanks for ya help really appreciate it.

Instead of bleating on about where are your specs why don't you point me in the right direction as to where i could find them so i can help you to see my system specs.

If it helps i have this icon on my ribbon called AI Suite II from Asus it seems to have some information in it but i don't know what you are looking for from it.

Sorry but I have to say you have a remarkably annoying way of asking for help here where we have an amazingly tolerant and helpful community.

Eg: "Seriously back off dude"

If you were to take the time to reread your posts you might see what I mean!

You are obviously referring to signatures such as mine & suggesting that it's size & placement is a means of bragging. And if that is so then it's you that needs to grow up!

For forum members like myself who have posted many setups, videos & profiles, it is a sensible way to avoid the oft repeated "what GPU/CPU/MONITOR etc etc" are you using?

So rather than take shots at people who are trying to help (and may well not be using their native language) try using the sig format to investigate your setup and help people to help you.

Windows System Information has many of the answers. What is the point of buying 3 moitors if you don't know what graphics card you have as not all can run Multi monitors, & some of those that can will be brought to their knees by DCS.

Hope this is helpful overall!

• Like 1

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.