Autorotation landing

Para_Bellum

Hitting an obstacle at 40 knots is a crash. :)

A zero-zero isn't a crash in a Huey.

A zero-zero is likely a crash in a Chinook, but if there's no room for a run-on, it's worth a shot!

Both of us will stick to what we know and that's fine, but please don't tell someone who just demonstrated a very nice zero-zero that it was the wrong thing to do.

Cheers,

Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

Hitting an obstacle at 40 knots is a crash. :)
Then you should find a spot where you can roll out a little bit, duhhhh, because zero zero means crash crash anyway for a Chinook

A zero-zero isn't a crash in a Huey.

A zero-zero is likely a crash in a Chinook, but if there's no room for a run-on, it's worth a shot!

Both of us will stick to what we know and that's fine, but please don't tell someone who just demonstrated a very nice zero-zero that it was the wrong thing to do.

Cheers,

Bear

I didn't see anything demonstrated, and I'm just saying -again-, there's a difference between an autorotational landing an a crash.

Find a spot? You can't plan where you have an engine failure.

Robert, I don't think I can convince someone who believes the min rate of descent airspeed published in the US CH-47 Tech Manual is too slow for autorotation and now suggests only allowing engine failures to occur over suitable landing areas.

For everyone else interested in the Huey:

Run-on autos are safer and easier and should be used where possible.

Zero-zero autos are safe and easy and should be used where required.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

You have a hard time understanding what I'm saying...

The minimum rate of descent airspeed in the -10 is 80 knots. It's 105 knots for max range. 70 Knots just isn't correct, or it's outdated, I dunno. All I know is I have an up to date -10 for the ICH-47D/F. I don't think there's much difference for autorotational capability with the American or Australian Chinooks.

So yeah, 70 knots is sub-optimal.

And AGAIN you don't seem to understand the difference between an autorotational landing, and a crash. Ofcourse you don't know when or where you get a dual engine failure. But if you DO, you have to look for a spot where you can make a short roll on landing. If you can't find such a spot, you're going to crash.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

And I do think that in most cases you DO have SOME part in picking a spot for when the 2nd engine fails. Yes, a dual engine failure is unlikely, but certainly not impossible. And if it DOES happen, it probably won't happen at EXACTLY the same time the first engine quits. First one engine will flameout, and x seconds/minutes the other one. So after that first engine failure, you immediatly start looking outside to pick a spot where to go if the 2nd engine gets a failure.

I've been there. Had a single engine failure, on the edge of single engine capability, on short final in a confined area, at night, with a broken microphone (stopped working 1 min before flameout).

Murphy's law I guess.

Anyway, did the fly-away out of the confined area, climbed to at least 1000' AGL, maintained 80 knots (to be in the perfect situation for a dual engine failure) and RTB'ed, looking for suitable landing spots all along the way.

Edited by Robert1983NL

If it changed in the F, or Dutch Chinooks are different, that would explain it.

I only flew Aus and US 47Ds and discharged three years ago.

It was 70 knots since before I was born until I discharged. :)

As for the rest, you're convinced you're right, I'm convinced I'm right, but it doesn't matter.

Cheers,

- Bear

- Robert A. Heinlein

Ok then, managed it a few times now, but it aint pretty.

Tried the same with after I edited the mission in the ME to max out the load at 99% and I cant get back on terra firma in one piece from about 1500 :joystick:

Sinks like a stone and cant keep my airspeed up without giving away precious altitude.

Will keep at it.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Found a short clip of a Sikorsky S-92 making practice power off landings at full gross weight. Looks pretty intense and I'm guessing the pilot must be looking out the side window during his flare because the nose is pointing skywards. His concentration will have been at 110% plus I'm sure.

S-92 Autorotation

Also found this clip of an Mi-26 autorotation, also apparently at full gross weight. Some scary rotor disk coning after touchdown. I'd love to fly this beast in DCS!

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/on-the-ground-videos-99/autorotation-mi-26-t-33239.html?action=viewonline