Elbrus Mission - Question

YoYo

The climb is no problem IMO with EGT at 600°C. Like Andydigital said, disable de-icing (I do it for take-off and once I passed the first big hill, when the snow starts). The first part, I fly around 60kts, sometimes a bit slower. When I turn-off de-ice and when I'm approaching the summit, I slow down to 40kts. That gives me a good climb up the summit.

However, I wonder if I do something wrong with refueling. When I chose rearm and refuel, I get the information that rearming is done (they don't mention refueling but that might be by design?). I even changed the value from 4% to 7%, but the fuel needle didn't seem to change.

So what happened twice at the same location is that I got a low RPM warning because I most probably ran out of fuel - at least the needle looked pretty much like it was at zero.

Did I miss something when it comes down to refueling? Oh well, while writing, I suppose I noticed the mistake. I need to shut down the engine for refueling, right?

Too bad because I really had nice landings and take-offs in this attempt.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you need to shut down and once the rotors have stopped moving then open the re-arming refuelling interface and choose the fuel amount yourself. If you just ask for refuelling it will put way too much fuel in. I think I went back up with 30%, so a bit less than the first run, so I could get back up easier. I still botched the landing though and ended up rolling over. I’m going to try again tomorrow.

I don't even know yet how the 2nd LZ will look like... already the 1st one only has one spot to really land. Everything else is way too steep.

30% is a good value in that case? I hope I can also do my next attempt today. It was kindda frustrating to crash twice due to lack of fuel. I did not even manage to autorotate because I was close to the ground.

Isn't only the 1st part time critical? I never had a problem to save the wounded with that speed. Like I said, 60 kts for the first part and once I'm in snow region, I go down to 40 kts. I could maybe go for 50 kts, but then I'd have to do a 360° turn to gain some more altitude. As long as it works this way, I'm not gonna change my strategy ;-)

Downhill, I'm going 120....always the most fun part.

Well I finally did it, but not sure how the mission is supposed to end when you get back down on the ground. I got the music on the way down from the summit but nothing after that.

Funny story, on the way down I was avoiding cloud and ended up being much further away from the FARP than I normally am, I ended up adding about 5 minutes to the flight time because of that. I landed with about 150lbs of fuel, eek!!

EDIT: Ah I can see why it doesn't complete now, there are two more 1815 altitudes that need changing in the Complete section!!, damn it gotta fly it again now lol.

Edited by Andydigital

Congratulations and thanks for the info. Looks like I also have to change the triggers in that case. Let's hope they fix it for the 2.5 stable version.

At least it's one of those missions you can really re-fly several times because of the different clouds. That makes it interesting again and again IMO.

I dislike that the green light is turned on by default (I turn it off all the time). That was fine with 1.5 when it was a lot darker. With 2.5 when it's already morning and bright, the green light doesn't make sense anymore.

Did you also have to adjust the "x: Cockpit Argument in Range" again? It's 0.1 for the last trigger and not 0.2. However, you changed the other one to 0.3.

BTW, it's best to save the altered mission under a different name, otherwise DCS will overwrite your corrections with the latest hotfix - and you'll have to edit it again.

I didn't change the other part for this edit, it convinced me even more now that it didn't need changing anyway.

I'm hoping they fix it for the final version, so hopefully it wont need editing again.

I had problems with my second try earlier after the fix, so I'm not sure if it works yet, I just couldn't land on this second run up for the 2nd team :(

I tried the plateau at the summit and it wouldn't trigger for me, too far away. The first time I tried to relocate from that spot I hit the boom with the mains and it was game over. Second attempt I managed to get it down by flying down hill from the summit towards the soldiers, which is into wind too and that was my successful attempt.

I then edited the mission again to fix the triggers at base camp (FARP) and on my next run up I spent about 4 minutes up their trying to land the same way. I ended up using Emergency rotor RPM to get it down but had another boom strike somehow, so I gave up for the day lol. I spent that long trying to get her down I think I borked the engine, hence the need for Emergency RPM.

Yeah, that's my biggest concern, hitting the ground with the tail. That's why I prefer landing up the hill, no matter what the wind comes from.

Looks like it will take quite some more attempts to me to finish it. Maybe it would make sense to edit the mission (and save under a different name) to start close to the 2nd summit - simply to practice the landing.

It's quite hard to do the 1st run all the time to end up crashing on the 2nd LZ.

Having looked at the mission code for the 2nd group I think they are supposed to be able to get in on the summit. The value of 5612 which you have to be below to trigger is probably why it's not working in its current form. I'm going to try changing that to 5912 and move their travel waypoint to the edge of the summit to make it look a bit more realistic. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Edited by Andydigital

That's almost cheating :music_whistling: Just kidding.

On the other hand, the mission really should also be realistic in a way - and I doubt we'll get an adjusted "official" mission in the near future. It really would make more sense to wait in a more flat area. It's still a challenge.

You should send your adjusted mission to ED in the end ;) In a way it's stupid if you fix the thing and ED has to fix it again in the end.

Well I'm glad to say that the mission now works perfectly for me and the 2nd summit rescue location now makes more sense, it's much safer for all parties. To be honest I've never tried this mission before 2.5 was released as I only bought the Huey because of 2.5 (so I don't know this for sure) but I think this is how the mission was supposed to look before the terrain mesh update changed things. I've made no further changes so the file above (post #96) will work fine if people want to give it a try.

Edited by Andydigital

Just finished it. Yeah, the 2nd location makes a lot more sense now and iirr, it was similiar in 1.5. I'm surprised that it felt a lot easier than in 1.5, but that's probably because I never turned off de-ice. With de-ice off, it's no problem to take-off from the summit.