Freaking tilting

YorZor

First off, thank you for the excellent module. I'm having a blast with it and while I was trying to do some aerobatics to get a bit more comfortable with the huey I encountered something weird while flying backwards.

Short description. Once you're flying backwards fast enough the helicopter starts to bank 90degrees nose up. I can be mistaken but in my experience that shouldn't happen? More something to the lines of it trying to force the nose around instead of trying to get the tail in the ground?

Once more excellent work on this and just wanted to put this to your attention.

Yorick

ps. If I'm wrong my apologies.

2.miz

weird tilting.trk

I noticed another thing when in backwards flight. You seem to go into a vortex ring despite your attitude, flying sideways at speed no problem but as soon as you transition to backwards flight it kicks in hard I think you're correct about the backwards flight, everything I've read is that you should "weather vain".

Shouldn't transition to forward flight or backwards flight (from a hover) have similar tendencies? I'm not a chopper pilot so I could be way off base.

Edited by wess24m

I fly radio controlled helicopters and I have noticed when I turn down the gyro gain for more scale like flying when you get them going backwards at a fair lick they do nose up a bit and then bank left bringing the nose round in a left up then down arc. I have found though, that the nose up situation might seem like a tendency, but it's mostly controller related(my fault) because you add collective and cyclic to increase speed and maintain altitude thus resulting in the nose sometimes abruptly pitching up.

I've not tried it with the Huey but If I were to hazard a guess the Huey should throw it's nose up and to the right due to rotor direction( my Rc whirly birds go left-clockwise rotor)

I'm purely guessing but aerodynamics might also be a key factor in the Huey's behavior as the rearward speed increases. Also, the stabilizer would aerodynamically become a brake forcing the tail down... seems logical(to me at least)

But most of this is purely speculation with a touch of thought and a bit of experience as far as building things that fly goes.

Edited by Fuzzy_bear
lousy spelling and grammar lol

The synch elevator on the Huey will lift the tail when moving rearward.

The pilot will usually run out of aft cyclic by around 30-40 knots.

This bug has been submitted, thanks for raising the issue guys.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

While we are on the elevator, can you comment on the power setting to speed correlation, as explained in the RAAF Basic Operator Technique Manual :

speed.GIF

Do I understand this correctly, that to change the airspeed in that "stable" range of 60-100 kts, we would pull the collective, to get certain torque, push the cyclic, to accelerate keeping the VSI at zero - then throughout the acceleration maneuver I would start pulling the nose back up, as the speed builds up until a stable speed is achieved with 0° pitch attitude ? Because I'm not so sure I see that in current flight model.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

The aircraft will also be raising its own nose during the acceleration as the downward force of the synch elevator increase with increasing forward airspeed.

When you re-adopt the speed-stable attitude your cyclic position will be further forward than before.

These effects were very approximate, once installed there were no operational checks in the test flight schedule, apart from pilot 'feel'.

Not sure if this is modeled in the sim, I'll check it out tomorrow.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein