Autopilot/Co-Pilot

Fuzzy_bear

I'm not sure if this can be classified a bug or not but it's something that's been bugging me.

When at higher altitude and speed I quite often turn control over to the Co-Pilot to light a cigi.. take a sip of coffee etc. but it seems the higher and faster I'm flying the more intent the Co-Pilot is in trying to rip the collective right off it's hinges it would seem. Normally all I get is the low rpm warning but this evening during a campaign mission the Co-pilot yanked the collective up so Violently at around 4000feet doing 110(ish) KIAS that I got rotor separation.

Needless to say I was not amused at watching the main rotor go spinning off in the distance as I plummeted towards an unexpected early arrival.

(edit)

Just did a little experiment. Flew low level red lining the speed, hit the autopilot and he took control quite smoothly tried various speeds and altitudes and it's definitely A problem at high speed and altitude. The Autopilot first dumps the collective to full zero then yanks it back up to 100%. I got the Huey at 3500feet doing 95Kias put on the the AP and let it settle then i moved my stick rudder and collective to the same position as indicated and trimmed it there. After disengaging the AP the Huey flew almost perfectly "hands-off" when I re-engaged the AP it dropped the collective to zero then yanked it up again but because I was going slower it didn't go full collective. the higher the collective value at the time of AP on the more violently it gets pulled up and the longer it gets kept at full.

Edited by Fuzzy_bear

I've noticed this behaviour a lot. I only use the autopilot for using weapons, but when I do use it the aircraft is already trimmed for the flight conditions (no bank, pitch, climbing/descending). I get the same thing you're talking about, rapid collective increase which results in low rpm and sometimes he just gives up and nosedives.

Since I don't use it much it's not a huge deal for me and it is in beta after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I use it also for Weapons...

For Example at the Campaign Aurora, where you play around in the City, i often flew with Speeds below 20kn... The Problem is, when i hit the AP Button, it raises the Collective to the Max. and then the TR is not Strong enough to hold the HEading. Ergo: Helo goes up, LOW Rpm, Right Turning and Backwards...

With a little bit luck after a few Seconds, it wobbles around but the got the Control and all is smooth... But in "Stress" Situations and under Combat, its not that funny ^^

Changing to co-pilot while landed, and having the sight pulled down, makes pilot try to take off again. and at such a low hover he keeps makes taking over the pilots position impossible.

But with the new patch the chopper survives the fall at least, but it's not good looking! :smilewink:

CPU i7-6700K 4,3Ghz, RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666M 2x16GB, GPU Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 1080, Monitor Benq 24" 1920x1080 @ 144Hz, MB ASUS Z170-A, OS Win 10 Pro (Creators ED), HOTAS X52 Pro, VR Oculus Rift Cv1