Mig 29s tactics online???

Hello gentleman i hope everyones holidays were a joyous one. I would like to hear about how you fly the mig online, what is the weapon and fuel loadout you take and what is the best way to fly her online. Do you prefer to stay low and use terrain masking to avoid the enemy or stay around 3 to 4000 for missle effectiveness. What are the preferred radar modes you like and why. I would just like to know peoples opinion on flyin the mig online, i like to fly her online on occasion and do pretty well,even if i must RTB after a short while do to fuel or missle replacement. Please comment on the mig and how you think she should be flown online and why. Thanks all have a good day.

You'll just about always want 100% fuel with the centreline drop tank. For missiles, it's more of a question of what you prefer. I usually stick with 2*73 and 4*77, but many use 27ER/27ET combination for some extra range/rear aspect shots. The altitude should be chosen pretty much the same way as with other fighters. And for your chosen 3-4k altitude feels a bit opposite of what you said about missile effectiviness.. if someone is higher, let's say 8k, he'll have much longer range for his missiles than you have etc.. Basically what limits your altitude selection is the contrail alititude between 8-12k, and aircraft manouverability at higher altitudes. The biggest diffrence when flying the mig compared to others is the fuel. Don't use AB unless you really need to, full military power is usually more than enough to what you need to get to good missile launching parameters. If you however need to go really fast from placa A to B, climb over 12k with full AB. At that altitude the consumption is much smaller than at lower levels, and you can keep a "decent" airspeed during your flight...:)

Sounds good Goon, at what altitude do you prefer to fly in the mig, i guess it depends on the server and at what height everyone is flyin huh. I also choose the centerline fuel as well as 4 r77s. When firing the 27er do you need to be below the enemy for the lock to hold or not?.

I personally prefer high altitudes (over 7k), but it depends on what i want to accomplish. For the ER you'll need to have the target locked on with your radar, so it doesn't require a look up situation. If the target however tries to beam you and break the lock, you can deny him this opportunity by having a look-up situation.

So you prefer to fly the mig around 7000 for certain tasks. A lock can be broken a bit easier if the enemy is below you and does try to beam is this correct compared to the look up aspect. Is the mig your plane of choice usually or depends really. Thanks for elaborating i appreciate it.

A lock can be broken a bit easier if the enemy is below you and does try to beam is this correct compared to the look up aspect.

Yes. The higher you shoot from the higher the probability of a kill, but its easier to be beamed if they are low. So shoot high and race under them to hold the lock.

This ties in very well with mig29 characteristics - you can climb and accelerate fantastically well, especially compared to a fully loaded flanker. So if you engage at long range at the same altitude, climb higher than they can, release a GOOD shot (my choice is an ER), then race under them. If they beam while you are still over them lock them up again and you should still be guiding your missile home, since that early it will still be capable of the kill. Also anything they shot at you will be trashed due to your steep dive.

If they are still after you then use your 77s for launch and leave, just make sure you support the missile long enough.

You have to take good shots with the mig as you are limited in your missile numbers!