7800 GTX disappointment

JACN

Like I said, its all in what you're accustomed to. ;)

I understand that, but is it choppy for you? I normally get above 25-30. If it drops to 18 it is still smooth.

Cool thread...I've enjoyed reading this. In the next day or two I'll have my 7800GT (factory overclocked) in my machine and I'll report back here the differences I see between it and my 9800Pro in Lomac. I'm hoping my 9800Pro falls somewhat beneath Evil Scotsman's definition of a decent videocard! :cool:

-----------------------------

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Asrock 939 Dual SATA 2 mobo

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

Actuelly a 9800XT isn't that far off from an X800XL, fps wise, but with a newer card you can afford more AA and AF. I'll stick to my 9800 pro, and hardmod it to a 9800XT when I get my new CPU, in a month or so. Yes the XT bios is stable, no artifacts thanks to the Zalman Cu-700, but running it at XT speeds is just unnecessairy wear, and considering that my pc is cpu botlenecked I run my 9800 Pro at vanilla clocks.

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 266mhz fsb

going from that to a athlon 64 3700+ will make some differnce fps-wise in lomac... I hope.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

The fact is the Lomac is the most dependant on CPU. Its extremely inefective in using that power thats why even todays CPUs cant run it all maxed out. Well its a Russian game... Drivers also make very big difference on performance and remember latest are almost never the best. Even if developers said so. You will have to try many versions to see which suits you best.... Good luck.

PS: And remember cpu,cpu and again cpu is the rule for Lomac.

I saw FPS increases when I upgraded to a 9600 pro from a 9200se and then again when I upgraded from the 9600 pro to my X800 pro.

Force Feedback you will see a huge difference when you have your new system up and running.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

rasputin, 9800 was/is a good card. I have never owned one, but what i have read and been told they pwnd the equivelant nvidia cards. and i was sick cuz i went threw 3 5900ultras. never did learn my lesson with them :)

but with your 78, you will notice a huge increase in gaming pleasure. one game I cannot get over how nice it looks is bf2, no matter how many times i play it, i still find nice touches that blow me away.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
A new video card might not give much more FPS (depending on your settings), but you should be able to have more eye candy options enabled.

Exactly, hardly any more fps if your cpu is already being taxed to f00k with lockon, but you will be able to get more AA and more AF with no problems and still have roughly same fps.

I was set a test via a dude from the russian side of the forums, and his test was to see what the max number of fps in a given situation.

with aa/af off i got e.g. say 40fps, with 8sAA/16xAF i got 40fps and with 16X sli AA i got yup you guessed it 40 fps.

no increase in fps, but more eye candy for the same fps. weird game this lockon, ahwell back to :icon_jook

Guest IguanaKing
I understand that, but is it choppy for you? I normally get above 25-30. If it drops to 18 it is still smooth.

Well, not really choppy so much as it just makes my eyes hurt. Its like looking at a fluorescent light that has gone bad. I don't get the same ground rush at 25 fps as I do with my normal 42-80 over land (60-112 over water) either.

Well, not really choppy so much as it just makes my eyes hurt. Its like looking at a fluorescent light that has gone bad. I don't get the same ground rush at 25 fps as I do with my normal 42-80 over land (60-112 over water) either.

What do you have your monitor refreash rate set at, I have mine at 90. I might change it to 100mhz and see what happens. Thats one nice thing about CRT's.

rasputin, 9800 was/is a good card. I have never owned one, but what i have read and been told they pwnd the equivelant nvidia cards. and i was sick cuz i went threw 3 5900ultras. never did learn my lesson with them :)

but with your 78, you will notice a huge increase in gaming pleasure. one game I cannot get over how nice it looks is bf2, no matter how many times i play it, i still find nice touches that blow me away.

Wow three 5900's!? Dayum...were you massively overclocking them? :icon_madu

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

na, when the 59s first came out, they were messed up, 2 died due to power issues on the cards and the other i killed/damaged when i OCed it after i got my first 6800gt, it shudnt of died, but they were made badly them 5*** series of nvidia cards. the only ones i would buy now would be the 57/58 as the problems were fixed before they came out.

and yes, your 9800pro would infact wipe a 5900ultra

He's Scottish - was cooling them with whisky (hey, you've heard of alcohol cooling), and drank the coolant one night while pished.

Fact.

;)

Hehe...nothing like a little Bushmills to up the ol' FPS counter, or blur it into obscurity. :icon_jook :icon_supe

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

Guest IguanaKing
What do you have your monitor refreash rate set at, I have mine at 90. I might change it to 100mhz and see what happens. Thats one nice thing about CRT's.

Mine is at 85Hz. That's the highest rate I can set for my Sony E540 21" Trinitron. Its not a refresh rate issue anyway, its just a relative comparison. Let's just say I'm spoiled, since I played the A-10A Dave campaign first when I got FC, it didn't have much weather in it, so I got used to higher frame rates. Then I went back and played the classic campaign again. There is a noticeable difference. ;) I took care of most of it with one of the Overcast FPS mods. The cloud tops look kinda nasty, but that's OK, a Hog driver doesn't spend much time up there anyway. :cool: Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. :D

Guest IguanaKing
He's Scottish - was cooling them with whisky (hey, you've heard of alcohol cooling), and drank the coolant one night while pished.

Fact.

;)

OMG...what an insensitive remark. :mad:

Hehehe...just kidding. :D