Overclocking an FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz stock?

Hello world. I'm thinking of overclocking my FX-6300, my settings in DCS as follows:

Scenes: Medium

Visibility: Medium

Shadows: Low

Water: Low

Textures: High

Heat blur: Off

Civ. traffic: Off

Resolution: 1920x1080

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Monitors: 1 screen

Cockpit displays: 1024

MSAA: Off

HDR: Normal

Avg. FPS: 30-40, drops to around 20-30 in 3d cockpits, drops to 25-30 crashing on runways with AFM, drops to 5-10 crashing in fields with AFM (skidding across the field)

I'm really not sure how to overclock a CPU, so is there any help around here to get me started?

CPU Stock is 3.5GHz

Goal is 3.7GHz to 4.0GHz if able. I have heard somewhere that AMD CPU's shut down before they melt. That would be a big help, if someone can confirm it. Thanks for any help!

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Most important of all: What cooling solution do you have in the CPU? What are your ambient temps and CPU temps at stock clock?

Your goal should be easy to achive and will give you a small FPS gain. Maybe 2-4FPS Average.

I don't have the FX myself. I have the old PhenomIIX6 1100T clocked to 4Ghz. Been running it for years like that and it is still going strong.

As for the overclocking itself, try to google for articles covering overclocking. Keywords that could be useful for searching: Piledriver, bulldozer, overclock, guide

Most important of all: What cooling solution do you have in the CPU? What are your ambient temps and CPU temps at stock clock?

Your goal should be easy to achive and will give you a small FPS gain. Maybe 2-4FPS Average.

I don't have the FX myself. I have the old PhenomIIX6 1100T clocked to 4Ghz. Been running it for years like that and it is still going strong.

As for the overclocking itself, try to google for articles covering overclocking. Keywords that could be useful for searching: Piledriver, bulldozer, overclock, guide

I'm pretty sure it's air cooling. I found this thing called Core Temp that monitors CPU load and temperature. My ambient temperature in the house downstairs is 72 degrees F or 22 degrees C. It lists CPU #0 at 14 degrees C (52 degrees F) minimum to 35 degrees C maximum (95 degrees F). It goes up to 57 degrees C (135 degrees F) max while running DCS' instant action Su-25T ground attack on high settings (EVERYTHING ON HIGH OR TURNED ON). I launched many rockets to max the temps out. Does it sound safe for overclocking? Someone said he reached 4.9 GHz with a couple of "good" fans.

I do have one more question. If anyone has CoreTemp, it says Tj. Max. What does that mean?

Edited by Harpoon

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Alright. CPU temp reading is not correct becouse it cannot be lower than ambient. However, with such low ambient temp I'm sure you can overclock it without much extra cooling.

Before you start:

Turn off Turbo Core

Disable automatic overclocking if you have that

Try to unlock the extra CPU cores if possible.

Try to go into the BIOS or UEFI and increase the CPU multiplier a notch or two. Go and play some games or start a stress test. If it works fine then you can go back and increase multiplier even more. Keep doing that untill you start getting bluescreens or other strange behavior, then back down to the last setting that worked.

That should get you a moderate overclock without increasing power consumption and heat too much.

• 2 months later...

Yes, this thread is old but I forgot to tell you OC was successful. Here's the info.

OC'ed to 3.9: stable, but I wanted more

OC'ed to 4.0: stable, what I use now.

OC'ed to 4.2: BSOD's in dense trees in ArmA 2

OC'ed to 4.5: BSOD's on boot up