A-10 "offline" study material?

pexmo

Hello people.

I recently acquired DCS A-10 ( also FC3 but i post about that in the proper sub forum) and I am eager to get into the mastering of this fine sim. I have flown a lot of WW II fighter sims in the past but the last modern jet sim was something like Falcon 2 :) Flew a bit of black shark one when it came out but that isn't in the same ballpark.

Unfortunately I will be away from my stationary computer and my flying gear for a month or two, so I turn to you guys for tips on " offline" training material. With offline I'm referring to material that can be read or watched outside of the sim itself. I will have access to my laptop, iphone and internet - so anything that I can watch and/or read on these devices. I am mostly interested in information that directly will improve my understanding about the aircraft and its systems relative to how they work within the sim, also the fact that the information teaches without having hands on access to the sim itself.

Thanks before hand guys!! Hope to get airborne as soon aspossible and maybe fly with some of you :)

This is probably really obvious... The manual.

If you read all 600+ pages from cover to cover you'll pretty much cover everything. It can get dry however.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Foolish me just found the eagle wiki for the a-10, loads of geat info there. Sorry guys for not checking things out better

The manual I am reading, but as pointed out here, it gets dry when pushing through.

Any good audiobook written or co-written by a A-10 pilot or similar? Would be great to get some feel into the dryness :)

If you like dry, the real A-10A flight manual from the late 80s, and the aircraft performance supplemental that you can find paired with it, contains quite a bit of interesting information, but it will take a lot of familiarity with the A-10C as as modelled in DCS to be able to parse the relevant info from obsolete systems iterated out during and after the conversion to the C model.

In addition, it'll take a lot of experience with the sim to know when the sim is flat wrong compared to the real numbers. Landing distance was one that I found to be... well lets just say a galaxy away from accurate.

Performance data is also largely unchanged from A to C model, in case you're wondering. Most changes have occurred in the avionics department, not with flight performance.

Though, if you don't know the A-10C DCS manual page to page, you're not really ready to dig into potentially misleading and inaccurate real life references, but its there when you really want it.

However, there are many systems that are poorly explained in the DCS manual that are more adequately explained in the A-10A manual and which are completely unchanged since before Desert Storm. Between those two and lots of community supplementals there's a lot of info to digest, but frankly you're not gonna be able to internalize much til you can actually do it in cockpit.

Frankly, reading about a study sim is gonna be dry and boring as hell. Videos are the only way you're not gonna get bored probably.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.