Lockonfiles Off-line

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Due to a server problem.

I contacted the Host , they don't know the cause , but a massive surge of CPU took place and before it brought down the server - and other sites, they turned off Lockonfiles.

Before they turn it back on, we'll have to figure out why.

Yeah I just got a "This account has been suspended" message and I was coming here to ask if anyone else had problems...dayum. :icon_conf

-----------------------------

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Asrock 939 Dual SATA 2 mobo

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

Guest ThomasDWeiss

In the last day of December 2006 , in the last hours of the day it reached 100% of allowed bandwidth.

Traffic is heavy, but nothing unusual.

What caused the overload, was not tied to traffic, but an innocuous item of the site being repeatedly accessed, over and over and over again.

Guest ThomasDWeiss

I don't know yet. I sent a couple of emails to find out.

If someone tried to hack the site again, he could have gone on for ages and would not have succeeded, and it has been going on since January 3rd, yesterday it finally reached a peak.

There is no hack proof site - but I made it very hard to find what to hack.

You were running an old version of PHPBB, and there has been a rather nasty security-hole in that version. So unless you have upgraded between the time your site got defaced and now, that might be how they got into the system. A DDOS-drone is one of the things I can think of what's happened.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Thanks Sleek :)

You were running an old version of PHPBB, and there has been a rather nasty security-hole in that version. So unless you have upgraded between the time your site got defaced and now, that might be how they got into the system. A DDOS-drone is one of the things I can think of what's happened.

The drone would have to work until hell froze before it hacked the site, if that was what happened.

Newer versions have stability problems of their own , I could upgrade to 7.6 (I use 7.5) but that would be a temporary but quite costly fix. I chose 5.7 for the ease of use to upload and download files, newer versions are not that friendly.

The thing is, a site that adds over a thousand new members a month, every month - generates a lot of CPU cycles and progressively needs more and more bandwidth - if that was the cause, there is not much I can do.

Yeah back up and runnin' woohoo! :horseback Hey Thomas...just wanted to also say a quick "thank you" to you and all the people who give of thier time and talents over there. You all have made Lomac much better! :icon_supe

-----------------------------

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Asrock 939 Dual SATA 2 mobo

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

Good news!

Thomas need's a medal for his effort's within the community..

I know theres other sites out there but he's "allway's " the first to help to host most files ect :icon_supe

just my thought's..good health! :icon_jook

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)