HEAD TRACKING 101

I have read many threads about head tracking. I am not a computer wizard but I am having FUN. I downloaded Face track NoIR1.7 along with the 64bit .dll and was hoping that it would work "out of the box" sort a say, well that did not happen. I down loaded the DCSA10C.ini file and selected Point Tracker1.0. The widget will "NOT" even come close to my head movements. I am using a ps3 camera with the filter removed, and the IR Pro Clip. What I am asking is does this "freeware" really work and if I were to purchase Tracker IR-4 or 5 would that work for me "out of the box" better for my pit sim.:helpsmilie:

What I am asking is does this "freeware" really work and if I were to purchase Tracker IR-4 or 5 would that work for me "out of the box" better for my pit sim.:helpsmilie:

I have never used anything but TIR.

For most people, TIR can work right out of the box. It did for me.

Even if it is not exactly to your liking 'out of the box' it is easy to fine tune it. There is an outstanding YT video by Gerry Abbott (I hope I got the name correct) for setting up and adjusting TIR. The bottom line, IMO, is that TIR is well worth the cost, simply because it does work so well. If your budget can handle it, then get it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I experimented with ftnoir with a PS3 eye without the filter removed, just doing face tracking. It worked pretty well, though not quite as responsive as my freetrack+wiimote setup. Can you provide a screenshot of the video feed from your camera with the IR pro clip visible?

It works well for me. You have to make sure that you have low light boost and any other of the camera's image enhancing settings turned off. Then under the pointtracker window settings there are a few things that need to be adjusted. Then changing the curves to suit your needs.

My camera olny delivers 30 FPS but it's very smooth and accurate.

Did you install a visible light filter in place of the IR filter?

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

A visible ligh filter can be made from an unused 3.5" floppy disk. Break it open and cut a piece from the disk the same size as the filter you removed and put it in it's place.

I'm not at my gaming rig right now but I will post a guide through the settings later.

Note.you will probably have to invert the yaw axis as it is wrong in game.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Alongside what Thick8 suggested you need to adjust the threshold settings.

Point Tracker > Settings > Camera Tab > Threshold slider. Reduce the threshold until the points register as smaller dots which don't intersect, the tracker will then be able to pick them up properly. If you can't get a good threshold level then you will definitely need a visible light filter as Thick8 suggested. As well as floppy disc you can use developed film negatives as well (the black frames at the end of the negative strips work).

I have exactly the same setup as you, PS3 Eye cam, Track Clip Pro, FaceTrackNoIR and it works flawlessly. The only difference between this kind of setup and Track IR in my opinion is A: the price and B: the amount of effort you are willing to put in to tweaking it a bit until it's perfect. If you don't have the patience and you have money to burn then yes, TrackIR is the best option.

EDIT: Attached my Profile if its any help: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=87693&d=1379004732

Also here is every screen of my setup if it helps also. http://imgur.com/a/C4Ow7

Edited by Tetra

Thanks guys, I thought I had it working, when I went to load my game a error message kept coming up "DCS has stopped working, shutting down". When I removed the head tracker 64 bit from my bin folder it worked fine (the game) so I reinstalled 32 bit into the bin folder, It work, (the game) however head tracker did not work . I do have a 64 bit system.

I set up my FTNIR with you settings and it seems to be working quite well. I move my head right and the widget goes right also as it should. when I start the game DCS World 1.2.6 and select a mission, there is "NO" movement what so ever showing me that FTNIR is working. I only installed the A10C part of the download into the Bin Folder. If I install the headtracker dll DCS quits working. Any Ideas?

I went back to 1.2.3. This works better for me, much faster

Edited by deskoilot

I use TIR with all the default setting, never fly without it. So if you (or anyone else) are looking for a no fuss solution out of the box I couldn't recommend trackir enough, but if you can get something else to work, even better! Good luck!