PC upgrade - Advice needed please

Hey all,

I am currently not able to continue my DCS journey(work related), but that's not stopping me from thinking ahead :)

My current system is so ancient in PC terms that I am not bothering it anymore.

Q6600(Stock Clocks)

8GB Ram

XFX 7950 overclocked version.

So far I have in my wish list

i5 4670K or i7 4770K

Asus Maximus VI board

16GB Ram

240GB SSD

Corsair H100i cooler

The advice I need guys, is whether I need to also upgrade my GPU. Would 7950 be sufficient?

Thanks for reading.

Abdul

Edited to add:

I'm also considering to switch from Triple screen setup to Oculus Rift if its supported.

More editing lol:

Should I go for Win 8.1 or stick with Win 7 thinking solely on compatibility with DCS

Edited by AkheirAX

i7 4770 (No K) is fine. Overclocking will just degrade your parts lifetime, and really you don't need much more. Its a i7.

ASUS makes good mobo's AFAIK

RAM is good, I wouldn't go with any less actually. As for a manufacturer, I'd go with anything on the QVL [Qualified Vendor List] for the MOBO you pick.

SSD should be Samsung, they're the best on the market. [i just had my OCZ Drive fail twice in the last 7 months]

CPU Cooler should just be a Cooler master EVO or something, Liquid cooling [even closed loop] is pointless unless you're extremely into overclocking.

My 7950 does well in DCS. Sapphire DUAL-X is a good lineup for the 7950.

Also Windows 8 with the start menu mod is pretty nice, but the OS is whatever you please. If 8 only gives say a 3% increase in performance but makes you hate computers, it's not worth it.

Edited by CypherGrunyev

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

Rhinox, on the other hand, this is only the beginning of the century, using superlatives already is hazardous :D

I rarely overclock my 3770k, but when i do, it's for a reason.

Moreover, it helps a lot when your CPU is quite old.

now, if you intend to use it for 22years uninterrupted, don't overclock it.

The GPU should be fine imho. But EDGE can redistribuate cards at some point.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

No offence man, but this is the biggest bullsh*t I have heard in this century...

k. So you'd rather overclock the hell out of a part just to get 5 more FPS? Tell me how that goes for you.

He would be getting a Fourth Generation i7. Its a pretty powerful chip. I can run DCS just fine on stock settings for my CPU, why should he get a 4770k for an extra 30$ if overclocking would just risk degrading it faster?

It's like afterburner. Yes, you'll go a little bit faster for a while, but you'll run out of fuel even faster :)

Edits done because typing in anger is awesome!*

Edited by CypherGrunyev

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

BF4 should run well, given it supports mantle, as does your GPU.

DCS should also run quite well on that system.

No one knows quite yet what EDGE will make of things though.

Though, its supposed to support crossfire, so can always stick a 2nd 7950 in there if needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

I am a 30 year pc tech, and I would recommend a NVidia gtx 650 or higher. NVidia gpu's work better with intel cpu's, and Radeon's work better with amd cpu's.

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

he has a 79XX... there's no point to sell cheap and buy high for a Nvidia one, even if it's slighly better.

Keep in mind this is a transition era with those upcoming old PS4/XBone

and there is a good chance games will be optimized for AMD GPUs.

But, i'm not a PC engineer, so... this is my 2 cents

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Been running some performance monitoring on my PC the last few days (approx 10 hours of gameplay in total) and discovered that DCS has surprisingly little effect on CPU, memory and disk loads.

My CPU (older version 2,8 ghz quadcore I7) was never above 30%, my memory was constant on 4gb usage (even though i have 16gb available) and the disk load spiked once or twice every minute or so, not affecting game performance at all.

Moving on to my graphics card, an "old" Asus 580GTX, the game used every bit of resource it could get its hands on, constantly utilizing between 90% to 100% load, depending on buildings within range, units on the ground and firepower being delivered on the battlefield.

To me (though im no expert) the results indicate that CPU, memory and disk is no problem at all aslong as you dont buy 5+ year old hardware. Graphics cards however is the alfa and omega when it comes to high FPS in DCS. Not that this is much of a suprise, but im really surprised at just how little CPU, memory and disk load effects game performance.

So if your buying a new computer because DCS was performing poorly on your old system, id guess you'll want to add a new gfx card with your new configuration.

My 2 cents of research.

Edited by Shiwaz

Asus z170 motherboard; Intel i5-6600K OCd to 4,5GHz; Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000MHz; ASUS Cerberus 1070 Ti; Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD; Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp w/ Bifrost multibit DAC and Sennheiser 650 headphones; HP Reverb; Saitek x65-F; TrackIR5