Dutch Roll effect despite SAS engaged?

pewbeef

Was out free flying a bit and took the Hog to around angels 34 and engaged the altitude hold autopilot. Didn't take long until I noticed a typical Dutch Roll effect that rather quickly got out of hand and eventually made the autopilot disengage. I had both SAS systems and EAC enabled (don't know if EAC has input on the Dutch Roll prevention though).

Can it be that the SAS inputs are off at those extreme altitudes, or what can it be?:huh:

I'd take a guess his Pitot heat wasn't on and his IAS said he was going faster than he actually was?

Or his IAS was correct and he was just going too slow anyway.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

You might be on to something there guys...Think my IAS was around 130-150 knots, but I probably hadn't enabled pitot heating...did a foul start from the taxiway, and I normally enable pitot heat right before takeoff when rolling onto the runway, so I might have forgotten that!

Wrong IAS input would maybe lead to faulty automatic control parameters and thus failure of the Dutch Roll prevention...maybe?

That's a bit on the low side.

You mean in general or for the Yaw SAS to work properly? Flying at those heights will make your IAS slow however.

As I mentioned before, if pitot heating is not enabled, that might lead to erroneous speed indications, right?

As I mentioned before, if pitot heating is not enabled, that might lead to erroneous speed indications, right?

Correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850