Axis mapping as buttons, x52 non-pro

Hey guys-

Just got a new stick today, tried it out, and it would appear that my axis are mapping as buttons. Only X and Y, throttle, and rudder work perfectly, but pitch and roll are mapped either "full" or "off" for lack of a better explaination.

The stick works perfectly fine in the Windows Game Controllers menu, all axis move smoothly, but when I map it in DCS it will only register those two axis as buttons. The stick is a non-pro x52.

ANY help would be appreciated. I've tried moving USB ports, unplugging, and replugging, updating drivers, etc. I am so bummed. :(

:joystick:

Take a look at our in-depth DCS A10C tutorials

If you want to participate in these tutorial sessions, please send me a PM and I can get you setup! :)

TUTORIALS TO RETURN "VERY SOON"

Hey guys-

Just got a new stick today, tried it out, and it would appear that my axis are mapping as buttons. Only X and Y, throttle, and rudder work perfectly, but pitch and roll are mapped either "full" or "off" for lack of a better explaination.

The stick works perfectly fine in the Windows Game Controllers menu, all axis move smoothly, but when I map it in DCS it will only register those two axis as buttons. The stick is a non-pro x52.

ANY help would be appreciated. I've tried moving USB ports, unplugging, and replugging, updating drivers, etc. I am so bummed. :(

:joystick:

Check out Options->Controls-><your aircraft> and make sure that only one controler(-axis) is assigned to each axis.

Out of the box DCS has the annoying habit to mix and garble the weiredests(sp??) axis combinations for a new controller ... unless it's a Thrustmaster Warthog. :o)

I have the X52 Pro and have completely deleted the category from the DCS World options menu. I rely on a profile created with the Saitek software instead. This eliminates most potential mapping conflicts and gives me complete control of all programming. I recommend downloading the software for your stick from Saitak and building your own profile. It takes time to learn the profile editor but it's well worth the time spent IMO.

I have the X52 Pro and have completely deleted the category from the DCS World options menu. I rely on a profile created with the Saitek software instead. This eliminates most potential mapping conflicts and gives me complete control of all programming. I recommend downloading the software for your stick from Saitak and building your own profile. It takes time to learn the profile editor but it's well worth the time spent IMO.

I do use a profile, but how do you get the axis to work in DCS if they are not mapped? I unmapped my axis in DCS, and then I had no flight controls at all. What do you do in the profiler to make it work with the flight controls in DCS?

If you want to participate in these tutorial sessions, please send me a PM and I can get you setup! :)

I do use a profile, but how do you get the axis to work in DCS if they are not mapped? I unmapped my axis in DCS, and then I had no flight controls at all. What do you do in the profiler to make it work with the flight controls in DCS?

I could help you trouble shoot this on Teamspeak but it's tough to try to do it in the forums. Do you have Teamspeak? If so click my sig for TS3 address and jump in.

Update - Issue still happening, but happens in ALL games.

The X and Y map as either fully on, or fully off, while the throttle, and rudder are both correct in moving progressively like they should. When having the Windows Game Controller window open while mapping, it shows the stick moving perfectly smooth, however, in-game it is mapping with only 2 steps, on and off.

If anyone has any more suggestions, no matter how "out there" they are, please do not hesitate to say something. This is pretty frustrating. :(

Update - Issue still happening, but happens in ALL games.

The X and Y map as either fully on, or fully off, while the throttle, and rudder are both correct in moving progressively like they should. When having the Windows Game Controller window open while mapping, it shows the stick moving perfectly smooth, however, in-game it is mapping with only 2 steps, on and off.

If anyone has any more suggestions, no matter how "out there" they are, please do not hesitate to say something. This is pretty frustrating. :(

You wrote that you use a profile - a profile within the saitek software, right? And how are X and Y defined there? Or just try to disable/delete that profile again so you just have the "naked" controller - how would it behave then?

If I remember correctly, you could quite mess around with the axles, different zones, curvatures, etc. which are maybe not too obvious to find within the saitek software. So you might probably have to fiddle around a bit. :o)

If all that doesn't help, describe a bit further how X and Y behave. Joystick centered = 0% axis output and at what deflection of the stick (i.e. %) does the 100% axis output occur? Is it for all axles and all directions the same?

Edited by Flagrum

The axis aren't assigned, I am not sure how you assign them to work inside the game, which is why "JOY_X, and Y" are assigned in game. Using a naked controller also did not prove any progress. :(

The axis aren't assigned, I am not sure how you assign them to work inside the game, which is why "JOY_X, and Y" are assigned in game. Using a naked controller also did not prove any progress. :(

The windows controller window shows that X and Y axis are working correctly. The ammount of stick deflection is shown there. That means, we have no hardware problem and theoretically the stick is working fine.

The odd on/off behaviour is present in every game. That means, it is not just a mapping problem within DCS.

This leaves only the Saitek software as the only suspect left, in my eyes. Sorry to have to ask this, but are you sure that you really were testing the "naked" stick? That no saitek profile was active and maybe better, the saitek software wasn't even running (check windows system tray!)? At this point, I would even suggest to completely uninstall the saitek software.

Otherwise ... I am a bit clueless now as well.

Anyhow, concerning how to map axles in DCS: normally you select the DCS entry for your controller under Options->Controls and in the mapping window you just would have to move the controller axis fully(!) in both(!) directions. Then DCS should recocnize the axis. (But JOY_X or JOY_Y manually selected should be equivalent, though)

edit: just to be sure, afterwards check the settings under "Axis Tune" that there is no odd curvature or saturation configured

Edited by Flagrum

EDIT TO REPLY TO FLAGRUM- Yes, it was totally off, and totally closed. There was no software open at the time. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled software/drivers at LEAST 15 times, so unless I am clicking "NEXT" wrong in the installers, I dunno what could be wrong there. :/

UPDATE-

When all controls in game are cleared, and a profile is loaded with the STT software, the aircraft is unresponsive in all aspects. No guns, no axis for flight controls, not 1 single button works. That leads me to think that the profile is having trouble attaching itself to the game, maybe?

I dont plan on sleeping tonight since I really want to get this fixed (with so long of a break I took, I am dying to get back in the seat.) so please, no matter how abstract your suggestion is, give it a shot. :)

Hope this gives someone some needed information.

Edited by JetlinerX

EDIT TO REPLY TO FLAGRUM- Yes, it was totally off, and totally closed. There was no software open at the time. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled software/drivers at LEAST 15 times, so unless I am clicking "NEXT" wrong in the installers, I dunno what could be wrong there. :/

UPDATE-

When all controls in game are cleared, and a profile is loaded with the STT software, the aircraft is unresponsive in all aspects. No guns, no axis for flight controls, not 1 single button works. That leads me to think that the profile is having trouble attaching itself to the game, maybe?

I dont plan on sleeping tonight since I really want to get this fixed (with so long of a break I took, I am dying to get back in the seat.) so please, no matter how abstract your suggestion is, give it a shot. :)

Hope this gives someone some needed information.

When all controls in game are cleared ... then you have no connection between DCS and your controller. No matter if or what profile you configure with the saitek software, at least for working axes you need to do a proper mapping within DCS.

What the saitek software does is to make the controller look like it has other properties than it actually has. It is a layer between the actual controller (as windows sees it) and your game. For example, you can configure a button to act like one or more keystrokes. Then that button will be unavailable within DCS, but DCS will recieve keystrokes as if typed in on your keyboard. Similar for axes. Here you could configure the axis that way, that it acts as keyboard as well. For example, you define "Zones": the Zone 0-10% shall be "Cursor up", the zone 90-100% shall be "Cursor down" and inbetween from 10-90% there is nothing mapped - this would result in a similar effect you are describing.

So, in short:

- you have to do the axis mapping within DCS

- you do not NEED the saitek software. Although it can give you more possibilities, it also gives you more complexity.

- to narrow down the issue, reduce the complexity :o)

Click HERE and see if this may offer any useful info about how to do a thorough un-install.

Well, well, well, Mr. Blooze. I had a feeling you'd come through for me! :)

Seems I had some bad files laying around, and after doing the total uninstall, the stick works perfectly when mapped with in game controls. I will now start testing the profiler, but even so, if I need to map in game, so be it, I am willing. xD

Thanks so much Blooze, you are the reason I will have a ton of fun this week, and also the reason I can start the tutorials back up again! :)

Also - Thank you Flagrum. Without you, none of this would have made ANY progress. You will both be formally thanked in the next video (if that means something, cool, if not, I wish I could show my appreciation better.)

Eitherway, thank you both. I really do appreciate you sticking with me, and not just saying "Welp, I give" it's nice to see. :)

I shall now go blast some Russians! :D

Glad to see you got it working. Saitek products are fickle beasts.

I will now start testing the profiler, but even so, if I need to map in game, so be it, I am willing. xD

Having used Saitek products for 10+ years, I really recommend doing as much Direct Input for your controls as possible. The profiler will sometimes "jam" up and cause overlapping commands, especially with multi-key commands.

With my X-52 I had some minor command issues with DCS and major command problems with BMS. In DCS I had bombs not dropping, gear not coming down, etc. In BMS I would have missiles not firing until I would TMS right, and the list goes on. My issues seemed like the profiler was not getting the intended commands out quick enough so say command one is ctrl+1 and command two is shift+2, when pressing both in quick and close succession, I would find output problems such as: ctrl+shift+1, 2.

Since moving to Direct Input, I have had 0 issues. I upgraded shortly after all those problems to the X-65 and continue to have no issues.

Edited by Hobo

Well, well, well, Mr. Blooze. I had a feeling you'd come through for me! :)

Seems I had some bad files laying around, and after doing the total uninstall, the stick works perfectly when mapped with in game controls. I will now start testing the profiler, but even so, if I need to map in game, so be it, I am willing. xD

Thanks so much Blooze, you are the reason I will have a ton of fun this week, and also the reason I can start the tutorials back up again! :)

Also - Thank you Flagrum. Without you, none of this would have made ANY progress. You will both be formally thanked in the next video (if that means something, cool, if not, I wish I could show my appreciation better.)

Eitherway, thank you both. I really do appreciate you sticking with me, and not just saying "Welp, I give" it's nice to see. :)

I shall now go blast some Russians! :D

Awesome! :clap: