Technical Question about StarForce..

bflagg

Bumping for someone at ED to please provide feedback.

Remember.. I am not complaining about Starforce itself, but merely a setting.

Since ED licenses this technology.. they can pretty much implement it any way they see fit...right?

So why not set the drivers to startup "On Demand" instead of "Boot" .

It is a choice in Device Manager.. but us legitiamate end users cannot change it.

(NOT remove starforce..but change when it loads)

Thanks,

Brett

I think SF needs to be started on driver level when windows boots up, even if the driver is set to demand, you have to reboot anyway to make them work. I messed around with them some time, some of them can't be started/stopped without a reboot....

IMOH It makes no difference to delete them, start FC and reboot.... or

to set them on demand, activate them, have to reboot anyway.

But I'm by far no expert on this...

For every post I read saying "I've had no problems", there's another one with tales of problems. It's all just words on a screen, each side as open to inaccuracy and misinformation as the other.

Until you install SF and see what (if anything) breaks for yourself it's all internet hearsay. I for one don't see opting to avoid "possible" issues as paranoia, I see it as pragmatism. Why should I have to buy a product and then wonder if it will hose my system? Is it worth a $15 game to bring my $1500 machine to its knees?

And on top of that there are plenty of sims out there to keep busy with, so while I know I'm missing out on the Su-25T, I can't in good conscience spend money on something that may be more trouble than it's worth.

As I said in another thread, at this point it's not about whether SF is PROVEN to break stuff, it's about it's POTENTIAL to break stuff. You call it paranoia I call it cost/benefit analysis...Maybe one day when ED decide FC's shelf life has expired, I'll be able to get a non-SF version, until that day I'll continue to enjoy 1.02:icon_syda!

$1500 brought to its knees? Ive never heard of all the hardware never working again.

perhaps you need to re-evaulate the word paranoia.

Your missing out on more than the 25T by the way.

dredd4hd0.jpg

---= 169th Panthers -Flt Lt.- =---

http://www.169thpanthers.com.au

tbdreddey7.png

AMD64 S939 3700 | 2GB Corsair DDR500 | 21" CRT

ATI Radeon X800Pro | 2x36GB WD Raptors | SB Audigy

TIR3 | TM-868 | X52 | CH Pedals | Creative 5.1 Spkrs

I tried messing with this myself, with the same results as everyone else. It would be nice if ED could implement SF "on-demand". I have other pieces of software that will not work with SF installed. The forum for Port Royale 2 has directions to remove SF; otherwise it will not work, as an example. I've had problem such as SHIII not detecting my DVD. Uninstalling SF means I have to email SF tech support in order to reactivate SHIII every time. I personally think SF is a bit draconian, as I seem to have problems with it. On a good note, they (SF) have some of the best tech support I've ever seen. As for SF offer, how can anyone prove it was their software that ruins a cd-rom? I can't prove it of course, but after installing SHIII (my first SF game) my cd-rom died (that day). My new one works fine, so who's to say… Just seems awful suspect to me.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
My FC SF install is ok, it's my SHIII SF install that is causing my system fits. I recently did a complete reinstall and it continues to happen.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 and when the Starforce box comes up that checks (whatever it checks), I get this horrible sound through my speakers that I've only had during full system lockups. Very high pitched and it just sounds terrible.

Almost sure it's related to the IDE scan. 50% of the time my system locks solid and I have to unplug it, the other 50% it just hangs and comes back after 20 or 30 seconds.

I should note that my FC SF install is the downloaded version. SHIII is the DVD version.

Last time Tech Support just disabled the check after a couple of weeks of troubleshooting. Going back that way again I think.

that sound you have threw your speakers, you dont by anychance have an audigy soundcard do ya ?

as audigy soundcards are famous for a loud screech or some other weird noise just before the system crashes, and the loud noise continues to be heard even tho the pc has crashed.

If you do have an audigy soundcard, get the new beta drivers, they worked magic for me and i never had the noise or crashing again due to audigy drivers.

Wow.. So far that hasn't happened to me...

but either way....

ED, пожалуйста отвечает к этому вопросу !!!

I just posted this on the RU side..

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=166827#post166827

I am not arguing the use of Starforce, but am just asking a simple question about it's settings and implementation.

Thanks,

Brett