Slow auto-updates

Hi,

Whenever I install a module thru DCS World or the software updates itself, the downloading speeds are incredibly slow.

For example, I'm sitting here now waiting for the 2.6gb update to install at roughly 100kb a second... this is incredibly frustrating!

Any way to get the downloads quicker?

Cheers,

It might just be faster to torrent the whole installation sometimes if you have a fast enough Internet connection.

If you're talking about modules, I think ED is doing away with the separate installers for those, but not sure about it. It's much simpler (but a bit slower) to use the mod manager from the menu bar on the launch screen. I think you can still download the modules from the website though.

It might just be faster to torrent the whole installation sometimes if you have a fast enough Internet connection.

Not might, is. The autoupdater is fine for small patches but I would never use it for entire modules or major updates (unless ED forces the issue like they did with the Open Beta).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

unless ED forces the issue like they did with the Open Beta
Well, for the openbeta, the autoupdater does reuse most files from the existing 1.2.6 installation (local copy instead of download).

As for the download speeds, they seem to vary greatly, from time to time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91821&d=1387531269

It varies wildly for me too from a few KB/s to several MB/s, more on the slow side than fast... :(

I think it would be best if the autoupdater was torrent based. The server could do the initial and backup seeding, and when everyone is online trying to get the latest update at the same time the speed would fly. Seems like a win-win to me.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS