MiG-21 manual targeting

ametzeala

Has anyone figured out or knows any guide on how to use the manual targeting for the mig 21 in dcs?I know it is something about setting the angle at which you will dive using the knob on the right of the gunsight,but that is about all i know.I can see it has different marks at certain angles with the names of different weapons.Are those the recommended dive angles for the weapons?

Nope, we probably need real life bombing charts but i haven't been able to find any online, and the LN manual is no help.

Mind you i'm not sure if the ASP has got full proper functionality implemented yet as patch notes for the 21 are bad to non-existent, which doesn't make bug finding very easy.

Has anyone figured out or knows any guide on how to use the manual targeting for the mig 21 in dcs?I know it is something about setting the angle at which you will dive using the knob on the right of the gunsight,but that is about all i know.I can see it has different marks at certain angles with the names of different weapons.Are those the recommended dive angles for the weapons?

The 'intercept angle' knob on the right side sets the pipper depression for each weapon with the sight in manual mode: the ГШ-23 setting is for the GSh-23L cannon, the 5M setting is for S-5M rockets and the 24 setting is for S-24 rockets. It basically serves to correct for the aim point of the weapon relative to the nose and its drop over normal firing distances. With the sight in auto mode the MiG chooses the correct intercept angle for you.

For bombing you instead look at a bombing table for your aircraft and bomb. From this you choose an appropriate dive angle, speed and release altitude for your situation- you can then read off the correct pipper depression angle. To make the attack you set the sight to manual and switch the shooting/bombardment switch to bombardment, then input the correct depression angle into the red window on the right side of the sight using the intercept angle knob. You then enter your dive (ensuring that you fly at the correct dive angle and speed) place the pipper on the target and monitor the altimeter. When you reach the correct altitude you release your bombs and pull out of the dive.

Edit: On the topic of bombing charts, there are a few for the L-39 (which uses the same bombs) on the forum. Sadly while the weapons are the same the MiG flies at roughly twice the speed, so the fastest release speeds on the L-39 charts are still too slow for the 21 to use effectively (I think the charts max out at around 600 km/h. Good luck flying the 21 that slowly in a dive, even at idle throttle with the speed brakes out).

Edited by Nerd1000

With regards to the above:

Upper table is for dive bombing, lower table is for level bombing.

The columns on the upper table from left to right:

Initial Dive speed?, initial altitude, dive angle (in grads- there are 400 grads in a circle), Release speed?, Release altitude, Aiming something (perhaps slant range?), pipper depression angle (and also I think something about time of flight for the bombs), Overflight altitude?, Overflight speed?.

Lower table:

Release altitude, Release speed, pipper depression angle, time of flight?

It would be good if someone could test those settings in the sim. My graphics card is deader than the dinosaurs, so I can't really do anything in DCS at the moment.

Initial speed, W and G are probably actual and indicated respectively.

Initial height, W/G actual/indicated again

Grad is just German for degree.

Release parameters (speed, height, true/indicated)

Ziel abwrfentfernung is either the distant to aim the zero sight line beyond the target or the bomb range (horizontal distance from release to impact).

Sight depression in degrees and mils (6°=105mil).

Height and speed at overflight.

I'm guessing the categories are "MiG-21, Xx10KG bomb." The would correspond well to 100KG 250KG ...Is there a 390 kg bomb?

The values are most definitely times in seconds. Interesting how the last entry is so much shorter than the top one. The extra 200 km/h must do something crazy to the release aerodynamics.