ADF radio discrepancies in the manual

AJaromir

Good day.

In the manual, page 135 (137 in page selector) is written:

The AN/ARC-164 UHF radio has an interface with AN/ARA-50 UHF/ADF radio and provides direction-finding capability, i.e. taking relative bearing to tuned ground-based ADF beacons or airborne UHF radios. For direction-finding, the function selector must be in ADF position.

The NAV MODE selector must be set to DF position on the TACAN AN/ARC(N)-118 panel to display relative bearing information of the HIS.

But on page 137 (139 in page selector) is written something different:

DF – HIS pointer points to UHF station selected on UHF ARC-164 radio with radio function selector in MAIN or BOTH.

ADF (automatic direction finder) UHF radio operates as an automatic direction finder for visual and aural ADF homing. Emergency channel and transceiver operation are disabled in this mode. NAV MODE Selector must be set to TACAN.

So I am totally cofused and don't know which is correct and which not. Or I do not understand what is meant. Thank you for any help.

Edited by AJaromir

Hi there. I found there are 5 stations that work with de DF in the F5 UHF radio. This are Gelendaki (114.3Mhz), Krasnodsar (115.8Mhz), Kutaisi (113.6Mhz), Mineralnyye (117.1Mhz) and Irilisi (113.7Mhz).

You must put the left knob ->"T" that work like "1" and the rest knob, 1,4,3. for tune 114.3Mhz (Gelendaki).

Can anyone tell me how the frecuency selector work for the left knob ? They have 4 positons, T,2,3,A ???

9mZNgAr.jpg

Edited by Diskey

The T and A positions are IRL I believe associated with HAVE QUICK and setting it up with the the cyphers etc. Not sure it should be working the way you describe but great find. :)

The 2 and 3 are there just to select the first digit which in the UHF band can only be a 2 or a 3 .... for like 234Mhz and 305Mhz

Edited by IvanK

Just did some testing on Diskey's findings.

Basically if you select the first digit as "T" it then allows you to tune any VOR or ILS station ...i.e any VHF navaid. the "T" representing the first digit as a 1. So tune whatever VOR or ILS you want then select the UHF selector to DF and the Nav selector lower down to DF and the HSI bearing pointer will give you mag bearing to the tuned VOR or ILS localiser station. No DME is available but bearing is.

So in addition to the VOR stations Diskey labelled the following ILS stations are tuneable as well:

ILS LOCALISERS

Kutasi 109.75

Koblutei 111.50

Batumi 110.3

Min Vody 111.7 and 109.3

Nachlik 110.5

Beslan 110.5

Tiblisi (Lochini) 110.3 and 108.75

Tiblisi Vaziani 108.9 and 108.75

Great little "Easter egg"

Now to play around with the "A" setting to see if it allows certain NDB's

Can anyone tell me how the frecuency selector work for the left knob ? They have 4 positons, T,2,3,A ???

IRL

• T has a spring loaded return and is used to receive/sync the TOD clock with other radios
  • 2 & 3 are frequency digits in normal operation
  • A is Active mode (for jam resistant frequency hopping)

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080