Runway Lights

JetwasH

• ED Team

We have a long standing bug where runway lights do not show for aircraft who did not take off from the airfield, but will work after landing

If you are from the same airfield make sure you use the radio to contact ATC

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

:-(

We have a long standing bug where runway lights do not show for aircraft who did not take off from the airfield, but will work after landing

If developers believe this too, we cannot get soon the fix for the bug.

I uploaded enough short MP tracks from spawning in airfield, taxi to dark runway, clear for takeoff,

takeoff, get ATC clearance to land, land, and my plane still on the dark runway on Senaki for example.

-There was a time when developers modified things and runway lights lit up for clients at touchdown... but that faded out.

-There was a time when developers modified things and runway lights from the early mission start

stay on for longer, very long time... but that faded out.

I can imagine in case of JetwasH, the "other" see the runway lights was the host.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Thx for reply BIGNEWY, I ask for clearance etc, The mission is hosted on a dedicated server and others can see the runway lights.

Bignewys mention of old bug is interesting. I edited this mission and moved the aircraft from another runway to this one, I wonder if this caused the "old bug" mentioned.

AEF JetwasH | 161 SQN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you are from the same airfield make sure you use the radio to contact ATC

thanks

Man please take note it's not just that!

If server ( dedicated or full client with -no-render option ) starts on daytime and turn into darkness during the mission time-span, the runway lights doesn't work for all connected clients.

There is no connection with anything else, you can setup aircraft IA take off or land, doesn't change! You can contact ATC and get all authorization, doesn't change the fact. The runway light will NOT turn on if server start during daytime.

As I already suggested many time, please directly chain the runway lights to ingame current time like you have done for city-lights and nothing else please! we don't need anything else!

If you don't want to make this behavior the only one, make on mission editor the option to control runway lights but please, don't go search for something that add complexity when it's not needed at all!

More then two year right now that we have the same problem. If the actual code is not working trow it away, and paste the code that you have already done for the city lights ( at least that one are working for all clients )

Sincerely

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Here is a startup and takeoff and touchdown, full stop demonstration of the issue

what Maverick87Shaka and I said:

With J-11A - Caucasus/MinVody.

Server simulation time more then 13 hours, started simulation at 8:30AM

Test Cauc Training v17.12.15-20200427-25647404minvodiDARKj11a_13h+runtime_8h30mStart_2019jun24.trk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12R6s2gC7JPbHkNX-2SpavF3fCXFntal-

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

would it be a good idea to have the lights on 24/7?

not realistic...but feck it...

I would say should be better than don't have them at all! :thumbup:

But since in game there is already some part of code that works on multiplayer ( look at city lights) I would much more happy if ED waste completely actual code and copy paste that one.

I mean, it was good try to chain to the ATC comm, full authorization and stuff like that, but it's not working and it's time to fix it. Let's leave the past behind and start a new era for DCS :pilotfly:

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

• 4 weeks later...

Pm2xyoCqwNTr6IJKe6WdvzmYUEmmcB

As you can see, also parking light are now chained to in game time and they are working on both client and server........but not the runway lights.

IMHO best option is to use the same behavior of all other lights for the runway. :thumbup:

A good result with not much effort since the code is already there ;)

• 2 months later...

In daylight, runway lights are too dim to be seen ; intensity (brightness) should be turned up when fog is selected, including approach lights, but lights should not be seen beyond the visibility distance set in the fog settings.

At real airports in daytime, the runway lights are usually turned on, but not at the brightest settings, unless visibility is low and instrument approaches are being conducted.

would it be a good idea to have the lights on 24/7?

not realistic...but feck it...

The runway lights at controlled civil airports are always on. So what would be unrealistic about that?

At uncontrolled civil airports with little traffic, they would be turned on by the pilot by keying the transmitter so many times on the Unicom frequency (ARCAL).

As far as military airports, they may be turned off during wartime conditions, but for big airports that have a fair amount of traffic, unless they're so broke that they can't afford the electricity to run them they should always be on.

So having to call ATC every time you want to land so the runway lights come on seems to add an unnecessary level of complexity that brings along other problems.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, I can't believe what my eyes are seeing! After more than one year, finally I can appreciate runway lights in multiplayer

1cPn4bEGthWKnXDsBar35hxAe7CvdD

If anyone is wondering if it's come with the latest OB update, OFC the answer is NO! Is not the DCS Update that solve this problem, but just the new Syria map that has runway lights always on, that IMHO if the ED are not able to fix the base engine code to make it working according ATC or/AND Daytime, it's the only solution available to get back lights work on this simulator.

So, now that we've seen that is possible to have lights in multiplayer, the real question is: when you're going to upgrade all other maps to make the lights works?

Thanks

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

I wish they would fix the approach lights in the Caucasus map. For example, at Mineralye-Vody, runway 12 has a Cat II approach, and runway 30 has a Cat I approach, but no approach lights either end.

If they took the time to feature functional ILS at these airports, should they not complete the picture with appropriate runway and approach lights?

For those fair weather flyers, it would at least appear prettier.