Wingman Hold Position

StrongHarm

The 'Hold Position' command doesn't seem to do what I'd expect. When I give an attack command to my wingmen, they always get dangerously close to the objective and get shot down. So I thought I'd get in position, get in hover with wingmen at combat spread, tell them to hold position, then give them the engage command. At a hover when I said 'Hold Position' they responded in the affirmative, but left formation and flew in a 2km circle around me. I tried this in multiple maps and situations and always have the same result. Is 'Hold Position' telling them to defend this spot? That's not what the flight manual seems to say. Does anyone know a solution?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Ooops.. searched the forum again and found

It is definetely a bug in the 1.0.1 patch. Same problem here. I order the wingman to hold position, he turns about 120 degrees to the right and he keeps going, and going and....going.

I order the wingman to go to a datalink point. He goes to the point, announces " at destination", then he keeps going.

When I order my wingman to recon, he'll recon right into aromr or aaa threats and get blown out of the sky.

When I order my wingman to engage tgts, he'll fly too close and again get blown out of the sky.

I uninstalled BS and reinstalled. Wingmen worked just fine. Engaged tgts at a safe distance. Followed orders etc etc. When I reinstalled the 1.0.1 patch I had the same problems as listed above. So yes there is most definitely a bug in the patch.

Wags, are you all aware of this bug? And if so, are there any plans to fix it?

The post was from last September. Is there any news on a fix for this? I'll have to stop the campaign until it's resolved.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Yeah, the hold position bug has no announced fix-date. But hey, break out your credit card for DCS:A-10!

Count on it! I'll go to a midnight launch if they have one :thumbup:. ED does amazing work..

I didn't mean this to sound like a complaint thread.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

H. L. Mencken

God built the earth and heavens in 7 days... it's a good thing he wasn't developing an amazing modern combat flight sim on a fixed staff and budget. No one would have appreciated it and he would have made a horrible return compared to 'Dress Me Up Barbie'.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

H. L. Mencken

Edited by StrongHarm
Video was taken off of youtube.. had to point to another version
  • Like 2

I don't mean to rib you pal, I am just of the opinion that DCS:BS is a great product and under appreciated. Then again I'm approaching 40 and played the first Falcon in the late 80s. What they've created here is wondrous. Louis CK says it all in the posted video.