Co-Pilot Flexi Sight totally borked after 1.2.6u1

Reading the release notes, I was hoping for something like "use TIR for looking around but use mouse to move the sight around (independently from TIR)". This would be what I had suggested in an other thread - use the head tracker to move the head and use the mouse to aim with the flexi sight. That would make more sense in my eyes than the variant "move your gun with your head" ...

But what I found while experimenting with it is just, sorry to be so blunt, total crap.

Sitting on seat #2, the view changes according to the TIR - so far so good. The sight moves, if under Options "TIR aiming" is enabled. That is the same as before (and thus, no improvement). Okay. But mouse movements only shift the view. And that only in one plane. I.e. you don't "turn your head around", you can only shift your head up/down and left/right.

a) what is that silly movement option for the view good for anyways?

b) it does not control the sight at all. aiming is (still) only possible with TIR aiming enabled

and also

c) pressing the left mouse button starts firing and it doesn't stop! Only LALT+SPACE (gunners "fire/releas weapon") will stop it. Seriously ... WTF?

In summary: shooting as co-pilot = totally broken now.

edit: and yes, I did delete all my Huey input mappings before testing.

Edited by Flagrum

Without trackIR there seems to be no difference, mouse controls head movement as before. Concur with the LMB shooting issue though. It seemed that occasionally clicking again would stop it firing like it was toggle but otherwise those guns just kept firing.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Same here DCS 1.2.6.18651 (1.2.6 update 1)

When in the co-pilot seat and for instance slew flexible sight in non-TIR aiming mode the recticle keeps going. Also when you fire the main miniguns in the co-pilot seat it will autorepeat the same way.

Switching back to the main pilot and use the same switch like slew or fire, it stops.

Every function used in co-pilot seems to continuusly autorepeat.

Does this occur on every client?

Edited by BRooDJeRo

With TrackIR aiming OFF, you can control the Flex sight separately from the camera using the ; , . / keys. However it does looks like we have a "stuck" command issue at the moment. Investigating.

Yes, thanks.

After learning about the ; , . / keys, I tried them out. They seem to stick as well. Once one of these keys is depressed, the sight keeps on moving in the according direction.

Also I noticed, that the movement speed of the sight is very slow. Good for precision aiming, but I would assume, quite unusable when flying with 100 kts at 10 ft ...

And even if they would be responding really quickly, I am still not convinced that the co-pilot gunner would be viable. Aiming quickly and precise with keys just won't work. I really think, we need two analogue axis for moving the sight which are completely independend from the view axis (i.e. TIR)! The variant to disable TIR temporarely to control the view with the mouse in order to move the sight ... is maybe a work around, but not a solution.

No TIR users would enable "TIR aiming" (better called "combine sight and view axes"?). Result: sight and view move both as if they were mapped to the same axes. The user moves the sight while the view stays always behind the sight (so he can see the reticle always in the center). Default mapping: mouse axis X/Y

TIR users move the sight with (default) mouse axis X/Y, but have to move their head (TIR) themselvs to get a good view through the flexi sight.

Edited by Flagrum

I completely agree with you and have discussed it with the team, but unfortunately it is not currently possible for us to assign axes to the mouse separately from the view control. This is a universal DCS limitation for the moment.

Hrmph ... :(

But still, add axes please ... so that at least one can assing something else to it - for example a mini-stick on the HOTAS.

Can't the HOTAS software create an axis from a single key? The X52 software can. Or assign single keys to POV-head directions.

That would be too coarse, I think. That would be nothing better than just using the keyboard. But you need smooth but still quick movement in all directions (and not only horizontally and vertically) to aim at moving targets while on a moving platform. :o)

• ED Team

Wasn't it working in earlier version using mouse for gunner and co-pilot aiming for gun? When you were in co-pliot seat you just pressed M button and it was working how I expected.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro

Wasn't it working in earlier version using mouse for gunner and co-pilot aiming for gun? When you were in co-pliot seat you just pressed M button and it was working how I expected.

No, not with a running head tracker. Mouse and TIR cancel each other out (unless you temporarly disable TIR).

• ED Team
No, not with a running head tracker. Mouse and TIR cancel each other out (unless you temporarly disable TIR).

I don't have TiR. I just use mouse.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro

Evil has confirmed this is a bug they have some command issues, for some reason if you use the key bindings and say push the button assigned to move flexi left it will not stop tracking until its at full lock you can stop it by pushing the key assigned to move it right but then it just goes all the way to the right.

Plus if you fire it becomes live until all ammo is depleted.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

• 4 months later...
Hrmph ... :(

But still, add axes please ... so that at least one can assing something else to it - for example a mini-stick on the HOTAS.

+1.

Even if the mouse can't be used for aiming whilst using TIR (for camera view), we should have the option to assign an axis to aiming.

Perhaps a modifier (i.e. Shift) could be used with the ,.;/ keys (and maybe the axis once it's possible to assign one) to make the aiming move faster as well. So we could assign those keys to a hat on our sticks and then assing the modifer to another button, so when holding that button and moving the hat, the aim view would move faster.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen