Is there any way to increase AI detection range?

piipu

I find it a bit odd that the AI is so passive in this game. Strela-10M's just let me sit in my Akula at 4 km range and shoot them with Vikhrs all day long. If I miss one, it gets scared for a bit but instead of trying to return fire, it just scoots forward ten meters and just sits still waiting to get shot. They don't seem to even know you're there unless you go within 3km, then the missiles start flying. I think this is highly silly, seeing how the maximum engagement range for them should be 5 kilometers.

Even Tunguskas seem to do this. A Tunguska should have a maximum firing range of 12km but it seems even they want to give me a chance to kill them with my Vikhrs, as the don't do anything until I'm at 7.5 kilometers, when they suddenly see me and start shooting. This lets me kill an excellent skill Tunguska 100% of the time before they have a chance to retaliate, as Vikhrs hit reliably even at 8 kilometers range. Even if I try to tell them I'm there by shooting a Vikrh right behind them, they just do that same scooting maneuver and continue sitting still.

I tried to increase the detection ranges in the Scripts/AI/detection.lua but that doesn't seem to do anything either. Is that an obsolete file that does nothing any more, or is there something that I'm missing? It seems a bit weird that the Akula with its relatively short range missiles should be the king of the battlefield, being able to just kill anything with no chance of dying as long as you're careful with your recon. I'd like to increase the AI detection range to fix this, but I haven't found anything on my own. Is there some way to do this or is AI behaviour hardcoded?

• 10 months later...
...[cut]...

I tried to increase the detection ranges in the Scripts/AI/detection.lua but that doesn't seem to do anything either. Is that an obsolete file that does nothing any more, or is there something that I'm missing? It seems a bit weird that the Akula with its relatively short range missiles should be the king of the battlefield, being able to just kill anything with no chance of dying as long as you're careful with your recon. I'd like to increase the AI detection range to fix this, but I haven't found anything on my own. Is there some way to do this or is AI behaviour hardcoded?

I would also like to know if this file is obsolete or is actually used by the AI code. And does it apply only to aircraft doing the detecting or also ground units?

I would also like to know if this file is obsolete or is actually used by the AI code. And does it apply only to aircraft doing the detecting or also ground units?

Same! Hopefully its tweakable. It isnt exactly fair the Akula is the only one "suffering" from these... mistakes :smilewink:

I hope not really, thats a very interesting file. I hope it isnt antiquated!