Help on preparing navigation plans in campaign missions

Ralphk

RSBN and ARK emitters are only placed at airfields, so unless your flight plan comes near one they can't really be used for navigation. Think of them more as an approach tool than navigation equipment.

Either use AWACS vector to target or look at the map on your kneeboard (Ctrl Up arrow). You can also press Control Down arrow to mark your location on the map, but that's a bit of an immersion breaker.

RSBN and ARK emitters are only placed at airfields, so unless your flight plan comes near one they can't really be used for navigation.

Thats not correct. I fly with RSBN to all waypoints. The key is preparation. This is how I do my navigation. I guess there are plently other ways:

1. Open the mission editor.

2. measure the bearings between the waypoints ( 1 > 2, 2 > 3, etc.)

3. Use the measurement tool to get the distance and radial from a nearby RSBN station to the desired Waypoint. Write down the values (best done with setting switched to metrics)

So when flying I use the information gathered above as follows:

1. Set RSBN to the station used in ME.

2. Fly the heading to the next waypoint as notated

3. You reached your desired waypoint, when the NPP shows that you are on the radial notated in the Mission Editor AND the distance matches

And yes, it takes some practise and mostly you will miss the waypoint for maybe few kilometres. But with this I always got where I want to.

DCS21navi.png.0305f2ce67926b6d81a3c2fdba26e46e.png

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

You also might want to download TC-1 map

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/tc-1/

Print on a large poster and cut it into sectionals or fold it without cutting into sectionals.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I do roughly the same as MontyPython. Only I use the Mission planner to set up my information (more in the spirit of things imho). I created a simple chart in Calc (Xcel) which I fill in the details and have on my other screen. Of course ruling one up on some lined/graph paper would do just as well.

P.s Using this sort of method ignore the yellow line on the KPP.

Screen_150222_094707.jpg.d03449903f9164c6482572d068a72c01.jpg

Chart.jpg.555fe7f9589e756242c5d001c821a2c7.jpg

Edited by TJTAS

I do roughly the same as MontyPython. Only I use the Mission planner to set up my information (more in the spirit of things imho). I created a simple chart in Calc (Xcel) which I fill in the details and have on my other screen. Of course ruling one up on some lined/graph paper would do just as well.

P.s Using this sort of method ignore the yellow line on the KPP.

This is exactly what I do and it works a charm!

The only additional step I might do is cross-check my waypoint against an ARK. Eg, The mission editor bearing tool tells me that ARC 2/I-2 is bearing 90 from WP2. So, flying to WP2 using RSBN, I flick KPP to ARC to cross check position.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit | i7-4790K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | GTX970 347.52