How can I identify an A-10A ?

Vitormouraa

Good Morning Pilots!

Can you guys tell me how can I identify an A-10A? without weapons, without the TGP, without the sensors on the wings, without photos of the cockpit? Is there any difference in the external view?

I fly the A-10C more than a year, and sometimes my friends ask me about it, how to identify an A-10A.

For example, the F/A-18C and F/A-18E/F are really easy to identify.

OBS: I know the differences between the A-10A and A-10C, I want to know differences in the external view.

Edited by Vitormouraa
Spelling and others

Good Morning Pilots! (here is morning right now)

Can you guys tell me how can I identify an A-10A without weapons, without the TGP, without the sensors on the wings, without photos of cockpit ? I mean, if I see one photo of A-10, how can I see (view of the exterior) differences ? Is there any differences on exterior view ? :(

I fly the A-10C more than a year, and sometimes my friends ask me about it, how to identify an A-10A, A-10C is easy. :smilewink:

For example, the F/A-18C and F/A-18E/F are really easy identify. :smilewink:

sorry for any wrong on the text. :thumbup:

OBS: I know the differences of A-10A and A-10C, I want to know differences at exterior view.

A10 A doesn't carry a litening pod?

the A-10A doesn't carry the Litening Pod, that's the difference of A-10C, only the C version carry it, A-10A not. I want to know, how I can identify the A-10A empty.
I'd rather not use that assumption because you could stumple upon an image of a test platform A with a TGP on it. Instead, the C has a small dome on the back behind the canopy (GPS antenna) and a T-shaped wing, also on the back behind the canopy.

The C: T-shaped wing clearly visible

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/A-10-3.jpg

The A: clearly no T-shaped wing present

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

I'd rather not use that assumption because you could stumple upon an image of a test platform A with a TGP on it. Instead, the C has a small dome on the back behind the canopy (GPS antenna) and a T-shaped wing, also on the back behind the canopy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg

Thank you dude!!

I didn't understand the last part, " T-shaped wing, also on the back behind the canopy." can you explain it for me ? :noexpression:

He's talking about the "T" shaped antenna. Although why he calls it a wing I have no idea.

I'm headed out for work but I will try to post a list tonight.

And to clarify, some A-10As did carry a TGP, specifically during the start of the second Iraq war. It hung on station 9 (or 3) so they had one less lag available. It was the A-10A+

Also A models had the GPS antenna.

Edited by Snoopy

Are you sure? He said T-Shapped WING, He was talking about the Wing, this part that I am not understanding.. " the C has a small dome on the back behind the canopy (GPS antenna)"

That thing on the back behind the canopy, its the GPS Antenna.

He said about the wing, explain it for me please

He's talking about the "T" shaped antenna. Although why he calls it a wing I have no idea.

I'm headed out for work but I will try to post a list tonight.

And to clarify, some A-10As did carry a TGP, specifically during the start of the second Iraq war. It hung on station 9 (or 3) so they had one less lag available. It was the A-10A+

Also, A models had the GPS antenna.

I am talking about this Fairchild_Republic_A-10A_Thunderbolt_II_cockpit_2_USAF.jpg

Edited by Vitormouraa

How can I identify an A-10A ?

You asked about the "t shaped wing" comment and I answered.

What he was talking about is the antenna, he worded his description wrong.

Maybe you need to be more specific what era A-10A your asking about.

Edited by Snoopy

or... wing-shaped antenna....? ;-)

But... check this page, that must be wrong..?? http://air-attack.com/images/single/703/An-A-10C-Thunderbolt-II-practices-attack-maneuvers.html

Are you talking about this photo?

a10c_20080222.jpg

It looks the A-10A. that's the question, is it A, A+ or C? that's my doubt, how can we identify it?

Edited by Vitormouraa
Spelling and others

BtW, why is it called "Warthog"? It's a pretty plane in my eyes.

I found this in the DCs A-10C Manual:

"At the delivery of the 100th A-10A, the Pentagon christened the aircraft the Thunderbolt II. However, in the tradition of the F-84 nickname "Groundhog", the F-84F "Superhog" and the F-105 "Ultra-Hog", the A-10A community nicknamed the A-10A the "Warthog" or just "Hog" for short. This nickname tradition coupled with the not-so-graceful lines of the A-10A was quite apt."

I believe the more you watch at the bird the more beautiful it gets. Was the same for me. Now I love it :)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

I found this in the DCs A-10C Manual:

"At the delivery of the 100th A-10A, the Pentagon christened the aircraft the Thunderbolt II. However, in the tradition of the F-84 nickname "Groundhog", the F-84F "Superhog" and the F-105 "Ultra-Hog", the A-10A community nicknamed the A-10A the "Warthog" or just "Hog" for short. This nickname tradition coupled with the not-so-graceful lines of the A-10A was quite apt."

I believe the more you watch at the bird the more beautiful it gets. Was the same for me. Now I love it :)

The cigar-like engines, the canopy and the tail section design does it for me.

And this big big gun :gun_rifle:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

The cigar-like engines, the canopy and the tail section design does it for me.

The beauty came to me the more i learned about it and flew it and understood the design.

Its basically like hey, lets take thus effin huge gun and make it fly. It is a bit narly at first, but after so long flying it (virtually) the beast is a beauty.

Now im not an expert so im just posting this for clarification.

The statement regarding the "T shaped wing" which has been clarified to really have meant "T shaped Antennae" behind the cockpit. I have put the two pictures side by side you can see in the left image the "T shaped antennae" and while hard to see, there is a circular GPS done in front of it, circled in red. On the right image the "I" shaped or straight protruding antennae is there and no GPS dome where the arrow is.

It was also stated that in a post that while its shown in the DCS A-10C, the actual final A-10C didn't have the pavepeny pod which is also marked in the left image at the bottom under the cockpit, but you cant see it int he right image as it was from the wrong side. Im not sure if this is fact, again just noting it as it was mentioned.

Its also worth clarifying that there is probably a pretty grey line between the A-10A and the A-10C. Its not like a Car where between models the design is finalized and 100K of them are produced. There are a number already in use and they get continually upgraded they dont just start cranking out a ton new planes with the "C Design". So the A-10A transitioned to the C and there are likely to be images showing these transitional states where equipment and parts are on it for testing or as a partial upgrade suite, at least this is my understanding.

Anyways, like i said, im NOT an expert, just trying to clarify the previous posts.

A-10.jpg.250d7c0ee4445d611efc75209762a043.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals