Using "penny pod" with human players in the A-10A

Fer109

According to FC3 manual page 137/320 regarding A-10A:

"A diamond symbol on the HUD indicates a target this is being laser designated for you."

But working with other human players (JTACs of Combined Arms lasing, or A-10C with TGP) was impossible to find any designated target.

Is anybody ever successful with that?

Its is really implemented the Penny pod in A-10A? Or a mistake in the manual:

For interaction with forward air controllers (FAC) and getting precise target location, the aircraft is equipped with the "Pave Penny" pod, which is a reflected laser energy detector. The Pave Penny pod can detect the reflected laser energy from a target being designated by a third party source.

I assume Penny pod is integrated in A-10A built-in, because I dind´t find as external store.

Thank you in advance for a simulator-tested answer.

The A-10A in DCS has a Penny pod attached and in missions it does provide a designation marker - I just tried out a mission with a A-10C lasing the target for a A-10A and it appears on the HUD. Of course I can't deploy laser weapons, but at least the target marker is working.

Thank you Oesau. Good to know somebody flying A-10A and being marked successfully from an human controlled A-10C.

I will try again with some friends.

Have you ever tried with a Combined Arms JTAC?

Edited by Fer109

I assume Penny pod is integrated in A-10A built-in, because I dind´t find as external store.

101029700.bahLCSSW.jpg

you'll find it below your plane on the righthand side of your cockpit. It's also on the A-10C and we can even adjust some things to it but it doesn't really work because whatever this thing can, the TGP can do better. And in this simulation there's no need for redundancy as the tgp cannot break.

Check my F-15C guide

The A-10A in DCS has a Penny pod attached and in missions it does provide a designation marker - I just tried out a mission with a A-10C lasing the target for a A-10A and it appears on the HUD. Of course I can't deploy laser weapons, but at least the target marker is working.

Maybe a simple mod of the A-10A armament to put on a few GBU-10's and this would work then?

Oesau, I tried again with one friend lasing a ground TGT with an A-10C to my A-10A but I am unable to see any "diamon" designated for me.

We tried several times. I tested it in NAV and AIR TO GROUND modes, but it was impossible.

Would you mind to explain how did you do that?

Will be very nice for me.

• 4 weeks later...

code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes, I can confirm that...

As a JTAC or A-10C pilot, you set laser code to 1113 and in A-10A's HUD a small dimond will apear... You can strafe it, or bomb that spot also it helps A LOT with Mav targeting. Tested multiple times...it works.

Shame A-10A connot use GBU-12 ( as it could in real life ) and drop it in CCRP on laser from other platform equipped with Targeting POD or lased by a JTAC from ground.

So,a tactical employment here would be nice: A-10C spotting tgts (HUNTER) and A-10A attacking it (KILLER)

Edited by Scorpion27

Shame A-10A connot use GBU-12 ( as it could in real life ) and drop it in CCRP on laser from other platform equipped with Targeting POD or lased by a JTAC from ground.

So,a tactical employment here would be nice: A-10C spotting tgts (HUNTER) and A-10A attacking it (KILLER)

+1. This would be a great multiplayer gateway for newer players (who could then want to upgrade to the A-10C), and would also give the A-10A an A/G capaiblity that exists with the Mirage 2000C and F-5E. There shouldn't need to be anything done other than coding the stores and release ballistics into the aircraft; the avionics could use the existing visual CCRP in the A-10A.

Edited by Home Fries