Just Realized that I Have Been Experiencing the Huey Tuck

Bearfoot

So there have been take-offs here and there that the ship seems to slowly and inexplicably (to my understanding) begin to slowly (at first) but surely tip over. It was bizarre, because I could not seem to recover by pulling back on the cyclic. At another time I tried kicking some power in the hope that forward speed would get me into translational flight anyway and then I could recover. Nope.

Then, just now, out of the blue, I remember Robert Mason describing the Huey Tuck. Went back and hunted down the passage:

"""

If the Huey was nosed over too far on takeoff, the wind resistance on top of the flat roof would force the nose even lower. The ship would then try to dive into the ground as it accelerated. If this happened over level ground, you were trapped in a vicious circle. Pulling the cyclic back would not overcome the wind pressure on the roof. Pulling up on the collective to stay away from the ground only added power to the system, causing you to crash at a higher speed. If you didn’t do anything but curse, you hit the ground at a lower speed. Either way, you lost.

"""

Mason, Robert (2005-03-29). Chickenhawk (p. 278). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

That was it! That was totally it.

KUDOS Belsimtek for getting the physics and FM so right that I can inadvertently recreate what seems to be a pretty obscure phenomenon!

• 2 weeks later...