Please Help - Saitek X45 cannot get to work...

I am an old internet fighter pilot looking to get back into the fight. Last flew online around 2002. Things are sure different now! Everything is so much more complicated and getting stuff to work on a PC seems like rocket science the frustration has me needing to kill something.

I have a newist PC I bought specifically for DCS and with an eye to getting an Oculus just over a year ago. I posted a thread then about getting a PC, the full specs of my machine are in this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153536

I have a Saitek X45 stick and throttle and Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. The X45 is ancient, I used it over 15 years ago flying Warbirds and AH. But it is paid for and right now that matters.

When I first plugged in the X45 it worked fine. No problems at all. Calibrated in windows perfectly and gave no issues. I got IL2 CLOD running a bit but then I plugged in the rudder pedals and suddenly they stick axis would not function. All axis - joystick, throttle, sliders and rotating knobs - they are pinned to a corner. By that I mean that when you go into the joysticks properties and test, the little x indicator does not move around in sync with the joystick but rather it does not move at all and stays pinned into a corner - to the far extreme. The raw value will indicate 1. The throttle and sliders are the same. All hat switches and buttons indicate and work fine. This of course makes flying any sim impossible, no joystick no controls.

I did post a thread about this on the ATAG forums a while back. The issue never got resolved but this does show some ideas and explanations of the issue:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22121

This issue has to be all about Windows 10 and an ancient Saitek system with drivers that have compatibility issues. It also has something to do with the computers registry and how a joystick is noted or listed there. I am NOT a tech guru in any sense and I honestly have no idea what a computer registry really is. I certainly have no idea how to edit one.

I have tried uninstalling the X45 and plugging it back in to try and get it to install as a default generic joystick and then just calibrate it in windows but I cannot get that to work and really do not know what I am doing. It also seems that when I plug it in and it installs itself when I look in Device Manager it shows as - Other Devices - Unknown Device. I do not know what is going on but when the X45 gets plugged in and it installs itself something goes on that screws it up from working. Driver? The X45 is not supported by Saitek for Windows 10 for sure. But it DID work initially AND it seems that it would work if installed as just a plain generic joytick/throttle. But also with the rudder pedals. Has to be a way.

I have this PC running and the Oculus Rift working and it runs Project Cars just fine. I am turning some pretty hot laps at Spa in my Lotus 98T F1 car using a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals setup. That works without any issues.

I know this can be fixed and made to work but I am totally lost at this point. It would be awesome to get DCS running and do some VR flying in a 109 but I cannot afford to buy a new stick setup right now. Any help here is hugely appreciated.

Fangio

Hi. I know what you mean, gone are the days when you can just boot up your favourite flight sim, plug in a joystick and get flying! Try downloading latest Windows 10 drivers from here:

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

You'll need to uninstall current drivers first (right click Start menu, Programs and Features, look for Saitek entries and Uninstall, just in case you're not familiar!). Run the drivers file with X45 unplugged, then plug it in when program asks. Try that for starters.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Tone71 -- thank you for the suggestion. I did uninstall everything related to the X45 I could find and then installed the drivers you linked too but that did not work. Problem remains exactly the same.

The drivers you linked too do not include X45 drivers. The X45 is no longer supported by Saitek. I did download X52 Windows 10 64byte drivers which would seem to be the closest or oldest device drivers Saitek offers.

I remain stuck and unable to fly. Close to $2500 all in on this little expedition to once again become a fighter pilot and not one flight to show for it. Incredibly frustrating. I know that it is possible for this stick to work but I have no clue at all how to make that happen. When people wonder why flight sims remain such a tiny niche market - THIS is why. You pretty much have to be a software/hardware engineer with a very deep understanding of software code and hardware configuration drivers to have an hope of getting PC games to work. It will never be mass market.

Anyone who is willing and capable to get on a phone with me and/or do screen sharing to get this all fixed and working correctly there is $50 in it. Thats right - I will pay whomever can get this all fixed and have my up and flying with no hardware problems with this X45 stick/throttle and my Saitek pro flight pedals will get a $50 payment from me.

Sorry, you're quite right, for some reason the X45 doesn't appear on the drop-down list. Grab the latest driver from here, dated September last year:

http://downloads.madcatzhosting.com/full/

Then we'll take it from there... :)

Edit: Make sure you get either 32 or 64 bit version, to match your version of Windows.

Edited by Tone71

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Sorry, you're quite right, for some reason the X45 doesn't appear on the drop-down list. Grab the latest driver from here, dated September last year:

http://downloads.madcatzhosting.com/full/

Then we'll take it from there... :)

Edit: Make sure you get either 32 or 64 bit version, to match your version of Windows.

I did download the X45 driver from that site and installed it. No change. The calibration routine and testing in properties show the same symptoms.

Okay, try this:

1. With your X45 plugged in, go into your Device Manager; you should see it under Human Interface Devices.

2. From the view menu click Show Hidden Devices; more X45 entries may appear, depending on USB ports you've tried.

3. Right-click and Uninstall all of these entries (leave the darker one that isn't greyed out).

4. Test your joystick.

Still no luck?

5. Right-click X45 (USB) in Device Manager and Update Driver Software; select Browse My Computer for Driver Software; select Let Me Pick From a List...; from here you should be able to select USB Input Device, which is hopefully the driver that was originally installed and working, before you installed Saitek drivers.

6. Test again.

:joystick:

Tone71.... following your instructions step by step -

1. With your X45 plugged in, go into your Device Manager; you should see it under Human Interface Devices.

I do see it - twice. Once it says: "Saitek X45 Flight Controller (HID)" and the second listing right after the first says "Saitek X45 Flight Controller (USB)"

2. From the view menu click Show Hidden Devices; more X45 entries may appear, depending on USB ports you've tried.

More X45 entries did NOT appear but a number of other controllers did. Many of them such as the Logitech G27 Racing Wheel is also listed twice but it is grayed out I assume as it is not plugged in. There is however a double listed and not grayed out "Logitech Virtual Hid Device" that I have no idea what could be as no Logitech device is plugged in? I did uninstall both of these.

I tested the joystick in joy.cpl at this point and the problem was exactly the same - no change.

So I tried moving on to your next step...

5. Right-click X45 (USB) in Device Manager and Update Driver Software; select Browse My Computer for Driver Software; select Let Me Pick From a List...; from here you should be able to select USB Input Device, which is hopefully the driver that was originally installed and working, before you installed Saitek drivers.

6. Test again.

I did this for both of the X45s listed (USB and HID) and when I was done no X45 was noted in Device Manager as it had changed to just game controller. I went in and tested and now nothing at all works. The axis are not pinned to one extreme as before but instead they just sit in the middle and there is no response to controller input at all. Calibration also does nothing.

So.... I messed with it some more.

I uninstalled from Device Manager all of the game controllers (not those grayed out and not attached) and unplugged the X45.

Then I plugged the X45 back in hoping to get an install routine. The X45 installs the same and once again does not work. The axis are back to being pinned in an extreme corner and refuse to calibrate at all. When looking at the stick calibration or test screen, the little x is pinned to the top left corner and does not move regardless of stick input. Same for rotaries, throttle slider and rudder rocker switch on the throttle.

Basically - everything is the same, no change. :(

Have you ever had the Saitek Programming Software installed (even if it is not currently installed)? Try this:

Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and look for a file called "SaiD####.pr0" where the #'s are numbers; could also be called SaiC####.pr0. Delete or rename this file. Reboot computer. Test joystick.

Tone71....

First off.... THANK YOU for all your efforts to help!

I did search as you instructed for that file. I did find it. I also found many other files beginning sai that appear to be related to the X45 including many .dll files....

That said, I cannot delete any of them. I am not allowed too. Any attempt returns a message:

"File Access Denied

You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file"

Nothing I do changes this. It does not appear that I am logged in as an administrator nor is it possible for anyone to ever login as administrator. Note that I am the only user for this PC and always have been. There is NO other person who ever uses this PC. If I am not the administrator, nobody is.

I spent 3 full hours searching google and trying everything I could find regarding how to login as the administrator, how to grant adminstrator privledges and how to manage user accounts.

Nothing works. At this point it is impossible to proceed with deleting that file or any file in System32 because it is impossible to access, create or designate an administrator account for this computer.

So.... how to gain administrator account rights in Windows 10. THAT is the new major tech problem.

This is all very shocking to me. That just doing simple things and getting basic stuff to work on a computer is THIS hard represents a massive failure in PC design. I do now understand why PC gaming will never approach mainstream adoption.

Hey, no problem, just hope I can help; I went through most of this trying to get my X52 Pro to work! Don't worry about those .dll files, just need to try and delete the .pr0 file. To change privileges on the file you'll need to do this:

1. Right click file - Properties - Security tab - Advanced

2. Next to Owner click Change

3. In "Enter the object name.." box type your PC username, then click Check Names (computer name/username should appear in box now). Click OK.

4. Click OK on previous window and OK again on Properties window (so all windows now closed).

5. Open Properites - Security - Advanced again, double click on Users (in the permissions window), then click Full Control, then OK, and Yes to dialog pop-up.

6. OK on previous window and OK to close properties window.

You should now have control over the file and can delete or rename it. Reboot. Test joystick. Fingers crossed because I'm running out of ideas, unless we do some Registry tidy up!

Tone....

I followed your instructions but it did not work. I can change the owner to me but there is no option in the principals selection window for Users nor any option that allows me to make any changes. When I do go into the UI for any of the listed Principals none of the selections are clickable, such as "Full Control" is listed with a check box but the check box cannot be checked - it is greyed out. So I cannot gain control over the file. Does it seem like this would be tied to the issue of not having any means at all of gaining adminstrator privledges?

Once you've set yourself as owner you should be able to go into Properties - Security - Advanced again and double click Users (in the list that's in the Permissions window); that's where you can set full control.

You mention earlier that the joystick was working fine before you added the pedals. Did you try without the pedals?

Did you try the pedals by themselves

Did you try a different USB port?

Did you install the drivers for the pedals?

Marc..

You mention earlier that the joystick was working fine before you added the pedals. Did you try without the pedals?

Did you try the pedals by themselves

Did you try a different USB port?

Did you install the drivers for the pedals?

Marc..

The Pedals plug into a separate USB, not the joystick. Pedals work fine regardless of whether stick is plugged in or not. I have tried all the different USB ports including 3.0 USB and older versions. Drivers for pedals installed automatically fine. Stick has all the same problems regardless of pedals.

Did you plug the Joystick and Rudders into a USB 2.0 Port on the back of the PC and not a HUB or 3.0 Port??

Do you have any other devices like Racing Wheels or MFD's Plugged in also??

You said you had it working before was it in this same PC Running Windows 10??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2