Point to Point Navigation help

Hi,

I have been enjoying the campaign so far. I do have a question with regards to navigation though. I understand how to use the TACAN as a VOR and how to track along a specific radial from the station. That would be great if the flight plan was along specific radials but it is not, instead it appears to be from one named NAV point to another which are on separate radials and or stations at specific distances. Is there a guide on how to accomplish this type of navigation. Presently, I am just using the kneeboard mark function to check my heading along with visual cues. Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Brett

We have a Hints and Tips thread here which has some helpful info.

However some really good info about TACAN navigation can be found here.

This is one of the aspects we really like about the F-5E in that you have to actually fly the aircraft (not just line up some aircraft marker on a HUD heading indicator).

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thanks Sabre,

I had a decent handle on most of what was presented there. The real question I had was how do you know what heading to fly on to go from way point 2 to ensure you intersect point 3 at the correct distance and radial from the selected TACAN. It appears from the discussions that you use your map to pick out a rough heading and then evaluate that when you get closer to determine if you are left or right from intended track when the center bar of the radial pointer starts to converge with the arrow.

In the example from the post the pilot is going from waypoint 2 to waypoint 3. Waypoint 3 is located along the 297 radial from 18x at a distance of 46nm. So leaving waypoint two I dial in 18x and set the course for 297 and head in a general north (slightly east) direction. When I start to see the center bar converge with the arrow meaning I am about to intersect the 297 radial I check my distance. If the distance is at 46nm then I know I am right on the intended course. If it is 42nm then I know I am 4nm left of waypoint 3. Likewise if it is 50nm then I know I am 4nm right of waypoint 3. I then Make my best guess correction for intended course base don my deviation as I proceed onto waypoint 4.

Is this basically how its done? or is there a more exact approach

What you do would work.

Ideally you want to compute a heading that is as close to a straight line to the end point as you can. It won't be as accurate as a more modern NAV HUD but you will get close enough.

This page provides a good example explanation as well.

In it you will see that the pilot makes an educated guess where the endpoint is and what course he needs to fly to get directly to the end point.

Checking position frequently helps to ensure you stay on course and are not deviating (due to wind or a bad heading).

Using the in game map flight path is a good way to check your position since it replicates what you would mark on a printed map in planning your flight route.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Oh yeah, memories of my Tweet days ...

Learn the FIX to FIX technique. We would visualize the method with our pencil held up to the RMI card and then graduate to two fingers and then into your head. As the squids say, whatever floats your boat ... :music_whistling:

Here's a Herc Driver explanation:

"My personal FIX to FIX technique is the pinch 'n' pencil. First, put one finger on your desired radial and the other on your current course.

Pinch your fingers together to get a half way point. Then pinch again either from the desired radial and halfway point if you are going to a further DME or from the halfway to the course if you are going to a smaller DME.

The second pinch gives you a good initial heading. After that, perform the pencil maneuver. Draw a line from the radial and DME to the course and move it to the little airplane on the HSI.

Now just keep updating and you'll be within 0.5 every time (assuming you update correctly)."

Do whatever works best for you! :D

Damn the GPS I say!

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]