Field of view issue.

Hi,

I'm using a custom server.lua (working well in stable) to widen the field of view,

so I can fly properly on 3 surround monitors

(I still don't get why ED is not implementing support for multi monitors in a user friendly way...but that's a fight for another day...)

I use an axis on my throttle to control the zoom level,

and in this beta 2.5.2.17559, the field of view is not correlating to the values in the server.lua, as they are in the stable, i.e I can't zoom out far enough as before.

See changed lines in server.lua (exact copy from stable version) below in red :

function default_fighter_player(t)

local res = {

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,165.000000}, --140 >>165

CameraAngleRestriction = {false ,165.000000,0.500000},--90 >>165

EyePoint = {0.05 ,0.000000 ,0.000000},

Am I missing something that was changed or is it a bug?

Thanks!

Callsign   SETUP

This is a serious problem for me as well. I too use an axis for zoom, and I need to specify a custom maximum field of view.

I only recently discovered that third party aircraft, such as the MiG-21 and F/A-18C, can't have their view settings changed from "%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\Server.lua". Other, ED in-house planes, such as the F-15C and P-51D, are in the file and respect the edits to it.

I found this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205338

Yes, It's intentional as far as modding files in the main game folder is concerned. All custom mods are supposed to go to Saved Games location nowadays.

The problem is, placing files affecting FoV there doesn't work either. Apparently someone decided the view settings are to be "protected" for multiplayer. This is unacceptable solution for strictly offliners - for example, the change made the MiG-21 unflyable for me and looks like I'm not allowed to do anything about it.

I really hope ED is going to figure out something better.

That post is at least two months old as of now. I wouldn't want to wait two months before I'm allowed to not get headaches trying to fly my MiG-21 or F/A-18C, whether online or not!

PLEASE do something about this!

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

Hey, I also change the FOV and have done so successfully in the F-18. You are right that the views are set for the "older" aircrafts in the server.lua.

However for all newer aircrafts (like the F-18 ) you need to go to DCS_folder/mods/aircraft/FA-18C/views.lua and change the FOV to whatever you desire. I changed mine to 130 since in 140 some stuff was too small. Works like a charm. Also with the zoom axis.

This change will be reverted with the next patch process thats why I use JSGME to keep those settings intact.

Not sure how / if this works in MP since I only fly SP.

It’s not a problem of the Hornet or other DCS aircrafts only,

It doesn’t work for FC3 aircrafts as well, i.e. F-15C. I opened this thread before the Hornet was released.

Still can’t find a way to zoom out far enough.

I find it funny that ED have decided for me the proper FOV for my setup...

I hope it’s a bug that is going to be fixed.

Callsign   SETUP

Hey, I also change the FOV and have done so successfully in the F-18. You are right that the views are set for the "older" aircrafts in the server.lua.

However for all newer aircrafts (like the F-18 ) you need to go to DCS_folder/mods/aircraft/FA-18C/views.lua and change the FOV to whatever you desire. I changed mine to 130 since in 140 some stuff was too small. Works like a charm. Also with the zoom axis.

This change will be reverted with the next patch process thats why I use JSGME to keep those settings intact.

Not sure how / if this works in MP since I only fly SP.

I missed the "Mods" folder. You're right, I can change the settings for the F/A-18C there, but the MiG doesn't have a Views.lua file. There's a file called 03_Views.lua under Entry, but when I edit that the MiG becomes unflyable.

It’s not a problem of the Hornet or other DCS aircrafts only,

It doesn’t work for FC3 aircrafts as well, i.e. F-15C. I opened this thread before the Hornet was released.

Still can’t find a way to zoom out far enough.

I find it funny that ED have decided for me the proper FOV for my setup...

I hope it’s a bug that is going to be fixed.

Do you mean for multiplayer? It does work at least offline for FC3 aircraft. As I said, they are in the Server.lua file that can be edited and saved to "%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS[.openbeta]\Config\View".

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

I missed the "Mods" folder. You're right, I can change the settings for the F/A-18C there, but the MiG doesn't have a Views.lua file. There's a file called 03_Views.lua under Entry, but when I edit that the MiG becomes unflyable.

Do you mean for multiplayer? It does work at least offline for FC3 aircraft. As I said, they are in the Server.lua file that can be edited and saved to "%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS[.openbeta]\Config\View".

Already did that, see my first post, but the FOV is not the same as before, as if ED put a limit to the FOV.

Callsign   SETUP

• 1 month later...

I just figured something up !

I use slider on my throttle for zooming like some of you mentioned.

However default "zoom out limit" is way too high.

So in the past i have edited line:

local gCameraViewAngleLimits = {25.000000, 110.000000}

in file

X:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Server.lua

to lower the value. Which is how it is supposed to be. We aren't supposed to change module files.

Although it worked for most planes, some were not affected. Like Harrier, for instance.

The only way to limit FOV for it was to edit :

X:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Views.lua

But that will make your client not suitable for multiplayer and you would loose your setting after each patch.

Now the important bit. I was looking at the

and i noticed it didn't have harrier module mentioned there at all in the file.

Just for fun i copied entire sequence for mirage (since its razbam also) and changed the name string to harrier's

... figured it got to be same as folder names are so :

["AV8BNA"]

And guess what?

it worked :D

Edited by DirkLarien

Well, I'm a bit frustrated now... :mad:

I can't seem to change the FOV via the old way...

I used to edit the server.lua file - which is now in saved games folder for IC reasons,

and it does not seem to affect...

I've tried editing DCS planes like the Uh-1h also in saved games under their corresponding path in the original DCS folder , i.e.

Saved Games\DCS\Mods\Aircraft\UH-1H\view.lua

still does not work...

I use 3 monitors and I'm too close to the screen, I need to zoom out a bit which now DCS wont allow me...

Help needed please.

Thanks!!

Callsign   SETUP

• 2 months later...

Bum the topic.

Is any solution find yet?

I found most planes got unrealistic maximum FOV. It should be restritced to about 100-120 degrees instead of default 140.

Its really annoying thing.

Also why still we cant change zoom speed?? Like it is ex. in BOX?

BTW in BOX we got also more realistic maximum FOV without editing and changing anything.

Bum the topic.

Is any solution find yet?

I found most planes got unrealistic maximum FOV. It should be restritced to about 100-120 degrees instead of default 140.

Its really annoying thing.

Also why still we cant change zoom speed?? Like it is ex. in BOX?

BTW in BOX we got also more realistic maximum FOV without editing and changing anything.

With 3 monitors and resolution of 6000 pixels, you need a wider FOV, or else your face is stuck in the HUD...

It should be correlated to the viewport resolution, and adjustable accordingly.

p.s. still no fix for this.

Callsign   SETUP

I just figured something up !

I use slider on my throttle for zooming like some of you mentioned.

However default "zoom out limit" is way too high.

So in the past i have edited line:

local gCameraViewAngleLimits = {25.000000, 110.000000}

in file

to lower the value. Which is how it is supposed to be. We aren't supposed to change module files.

Although it worked for most planes, some were not affected. Like Harrier, for instance.

The only way to limit FOV for it was to edit :

X:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Views.lua

But that will make your client not suitable for multiplayer and you would loose your setting after each patch.

Now the important bit. I was looking at the

and i noticed it didn't have harrier module mentioned there at all in the file.

Just for fun i copied entire sequence for mirage (since its razbam also) and changed the name string to harrier's

... figured it got to be same as folder names are so :

["AV8BNA"]

And guess what?

it worked :D

Could help more details here?

What lines You copied ?

I would like to limit FOV to most planes i got to 110-120 degress like i was used to do it long time ago but actually i filed with new versions of game ::(

BTW file server.lua is not in Saved Games folder but in main folder of Your Game

Provided are two files modified to 110 degrees fov for most aircraft.

This will pass IC check :thumbup:

Spitfire, C101, Gazelle ,Mirage, Yak have not been added as i do not currently own them.

Place these files in DCSW/Config/View and overwrite.

Always make a backup first!.

Reference

Server.lua, CameraViewAngleLimits for min/max fov.

SnapViewsDefault.lua Index [13] for initial Fov.

If anyone is willing to provide the /entry/views file for those aircraft listed above, I will gladly add them to the file and upload them here.

Please be aware that ED has a rather harsh max limit of 140.

This can be verified with status window Rctrl+pausex2.

Hope this helps.

FOV.rar

• 1 month later...

3D Vision Surround 3 monitors

Well, I'm a bit frustrated now... :mad:

I can't seem to change the FOV via the old way...

I used to edit the server.lua file - which is now in saved games folder for IC reasons,

and it does not seem to affect...

I've tried editing DCS planes like the Uh-1h also in saved games under their corresponding path in the original DCS folder , i.e.

Saved Games\DCS\Mods\Aircraft\UH-1H\view.lua

still does not work...

I use 3 monitors and I'm too close to the screen, I need to zoom out a bit which now DCS wont allow me...

Help needed please.

Thanks!!

I have the same problem. I have Ka-50 sit very close to devices, I do not fly on it in the Surround 3D Vision mode, and there is a strong wish...! I use settings in DCS 3 monitors, but then is absent 3D Vision it turns out 2D Surround and with izgtby the horizon - it is very sad. L-39 it is possible to fly - it is admissible! It is necessary that all of us were heard by DCS developers. BUT AT the RUSSIAN FORUM THIS SUBJECT DOES NOT RISE... likely no who has no 3D Vision Surround and 3 stereos of the monitor :mad::director:

• 3 months later...

Hi, I need tech support with I am having. I increased my surround resolution with my 3 43" TCL monitors to 11,520x 2160 and plugged in my new Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle. The Warthog appears to use the slider to zoom in and out. Now the side monitor views are screwed up. I'm using Nvidia surround. The angle is seriously off. No matter where I place the zoom the view is still of showing the tips of the wings like a starfighter. Aspect ratio is showing 5.3333333333333 at this resolution. Before adding the Warthog I used to fly at 5,760x1080 and never had a problem. Is there a known & proper setting that can be used for 4k resolution? I have not edited any files or button assignments. Can someone from tech support let me know how to fix this?