Additional Coalitions

Oscar

I've read thru just about all the topics here and with (very) minor exceptions, the subject of expanding the "Coalitions" has not been discussed or expanded upon that much. Given the "terrain map" released several months ago and the "Area of Operations" involved, I'd like to see the following added with a proper grouping of objects representative of those groups:

(Of course, I'm speaking from purely a mision buiilder point of view...)

Additional Coalitions

GRVZ - Operational Group of Russian Forces in the Transcaucasus

UNOMIG - United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia

Abkhazian forces

North Ossetian forces (rebels/partisans)

South Ossetian forces (rebels/partisans)

Ajarian forces (rebels/partisans)

Armenia

Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti (rebels/partisans)

Guria (rebels/partisans)

Imereti (rebels/partisans)

Racha-Lechkhumi and Kvemo Svaneti (rebels/partisans)

Any action being taken in this area?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, as right now Black Shark is in a "feature-freeze", i.e. requests are being reviewed, but not implemented, and nor will they be. The scope you're looking for is way beyond the political viewpoint taken by Black Shark, which in all works, is just country specific, not as extensive as you would like to see. That's the part of scenario building, not country/coalition allocation.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Believe me Eric, I understand "feature creep" as much or more than the next guy - I am in the software business.

However, given the scope of theater (small) and the core sim "close support helo" operations (the only flyable IS a helo), I just don't see how the jet sim (LOFC) coalitions fit - not and be anything like realistic when it comes to shaping a campaign or mission plan based on real, likely or fictional events. Sure, I can plot AI jet missions overhead, but, they aren't going to have much impact on what happens down on the ground where I'm at in my KA-50.

What is the "Political Viewpoint" of Black Shark? Its an important question - yes? What are these combat helo's doing in Georgia - sightseeing? I would venture to guess that KA-50's are or could be used to put down rebel or partisan uprisings, support regional seperatist movements and autonomous governments, perform peace-keeping functions. If all we have to chose from is "Georgia" to represent both sides of an Abkhazian versus Georgia conflict, how are we supposed to do that? How can you interject a NATO peacekeeping force to separate these two combatants without some mechanism/coalition called UNOMIG?

It can't be that hard to add these coalitions with MANPAD's, assorted trucks and maybe some outdated IFV/APC units - can it?

Without an opponent aircraft type for the KA-50 - other than AI - not having these additional "coalitions" is going to severly constrict mission/campaign development plausability. KA-50 on KA-50 is going to get pretty boring - fast. We need these options to extend the playability and lifetime of the sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Black Shark will have an additional "Insurgent" coalition. Perhaps this will be expanded in the future, but I've not heard any specific plans. One of my hopes is that coalition editing is made possible in ED's future game engine, but no information is available yet.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

The coalition system in Black Shark is unchanged. You select which countries you want on Blue/Red coalitions. However, in addition to the previous countries list, there is now also an "Insurgent" faction, which you can assign to either blue or red side (like any other country). It is armed with a mix of eastern and western equipment.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

The coalition system in Black Shark is unchanged. You select which countries you want on Blue/Red coalitions. However, in addition to the previous countries list, there is now also an "Insurgent" faction, which you can assign to either blue or red side (like any other country). It is armed with a mix of eastern and western equipment.

Thank You EB. I look forward to putting the "Insurgent" faction to some use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]