TrackIR HUD Ladder Offset

Oneway

I have a problem with TrackIR 4 Pro running the TrackIR 5 software flying the A10....using 6DOF 1.1 with the A10 add on

When I bank/turn the aircraft and then level ou,t the HUD ladder is off center...hitting F12 has no effect on re-centering it...the text portion and the heading indicator appear fine...

If you look carefully at the picture you will see the heading caret is basically centered in the HUD relative to the actual canopy frame and that little black box over that switch panel...thus indicating when the picture was taken my head was basically dead center in the cockpit...yet the display of the HUD ladder appears as if my head is shifted far left on the X axis...there by rendering the ladder far right...

This condition was simply created by lifting off the airfield and executing a climbing right 30 degree turn and then leveling out around 1000 feet...

Any idea what is going on here?

Oneway

Here is a picture...

hud_skew.png

Edited by Oneway
Because I can't spell and my grammar is horrible

try the v1.2 beta

I have a problem with TrackIR 4 Pro running the TrackIR 5 software flying the A10....using 6DOF 1.1 with the A10 add on

When I bank/turn the aircraft and then level ou,t the HUD ladder is off center...hitting F12 has no effect on re-centering it...the text portion and the heading indicator appear fine...

If you look carefully at the picture you will see the heading caret is basically centered in the HUD relative to the actual canopy frame and that little black box over that switch panel...thus indicating when the picture was taken my head was basically dead center in the cockpit...yet the display of the HUD ladder appears as if my head is shifted far left on the X axis...there by rendering the ladder far right...

This condition was simply created by lifting off the airfield and executing a climbing right 30 degree turn and then leveling out around 1000 feet...

Any idea what is going on here?

Oneway

Here is a picture...

hud_skew.png

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

your too fasttt, silly I'm lookoing for it.

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1046

And what Wags said too it will effect the hud ladder the wind that is.

:thumbup:

Do you have a link for 1.2?

I can't find that searching at lockonfiles...

Salute

Oneway

Edited by Mastiff
updated just now

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Either wind or rudder input.

Negative on both....wind only exists when your standing on the ground...once an aircraft has entered the air it has entered the airstream...consider how calm it is when your in a hot air balloon even though the wind is blowing 20kts...

Maybe I am missing something but how in the world would Wind effect a HUD Ladder...and if it did why would software engineers of a real world HUD do so for a ladder? Further what sensor on aircraft could possibly calculate ambient/relative wind other than a GPS and some fancy algorithms that cross referenced indicated heading and velocity and the over the ground heading and velocity?

As to rudder input or rudder trim not center also negative...the ball is centered and aircraft is properly trimmed for level flight attitude...

Interestingly enough I can slew the ladder back to center with rudder input, but only to the extent that the slip skid ball below the HSI becomes pegged full over...

Oneway

Edited by Oneway

well if its on the ground its in the air up to 2,000feet. check if the hud lader is on the same side when you go out and come back I bet it ain't.

Negative on both....wind only exists when your standing on the ground...once an aircraft has entered the air it has entered the airstream...consider how calm it is when your in a hot air balloon even though the wind is blowing 20kts...

Maybe I am missing something but how in the world would Wind effect a HUD Ladder...and if it did why would software engineers of a real world HUD do so for a ladder? Further what sensor on aircraft could possibly calculate ambient/relative wind other than a GPS and some fancy algorithms that cross referenced indicated heading and velocity and the over the ground heading and velocity?

As to rudder input or rudder trim not center also negative...the ball is centered and aircraft is properly trimmed for level flight attitude...

Oneway

Interestingly enough I can slew the ladder back to center with rudder input, but only to the extent that the slip skid ball below the HSI becomes pegged full over...

Oneway

You're missing something. If you want to fly north, but the wind is blowing from the east, it's going to be just like you're standing still, relative to the wind. You'll be pushed to the west, and that's what your HUD ladder is showing you.

Think of a boat crossing a river - if you wanted to go straight across you'd have to adjust your "thrust" to keep the current from pushing you downriver, and wind has the same effect on an aircraft.

Edited by Arthonon

ASUS P6T SE / Intel i7 930@2.8GHz / 6GB RAM / ATI 5870 1GB / 40 GB Intel X25-V MLC SSD / 2TB 7200 RPM HD

Photo site: http://www.techflyer.net

You're missing something. If you want to fly north, but the wind is blowing from the east, it's going to be just like you're standing still, relative to the wind. You'll be pushed to the west, and that's what your HUD ladder is showing you.

I am fully aware of the whole effect of wind upon velocity/vector of aircraft...that was part of Civ GA ground school...but I was also taught that once airborne wind is irrelevant in terms of trimming an aircraft out...in other words if you flying in cross wind you don't trim rudder into to it, you simply adjust your heading to compensate for it to maintain and intended track across the ground...

I will check it out but that is the strangest thing I have heard...again I ask the question why would the HUD ladder move?

I could understand some sort of wind effect being programed into the HUD when in ground attack mode...but other than that it seems illogical. In that case it would seem more logical to keep the ladder pivoting about center and instead slew or offset the pippers instead for rockets, bombs etc...that would make sense to me...

Take for instance an air to air engagment...both aircraft are "swimming" in the same moving river...wind becomes and is completely irrelevant. Aircraft never feel wind with the exception of when they at that moment when the transition from aircraft to ground vehicle and vice versa...

I am not talking turbulence and layer sheers...Just a pure moving mass of air...

Thanks for the feed back...gonna do a left hand turn and see if the ladder is on the left side this time...

Oneway

Edited by Oneway

Yep that's it...the wind...

I still think its strange as heck but I am sure the engineers and designers did it for good reason...I will probably figure that out when I start weapons training....that there is great reason to always be able to instantly ascertain the fractional components of wind relative to aircraft vector...

Thanks guys for straightening that out for me

Salute

Oneway

That one had me for a while, but its as Wags said, wind and rudder. The HUD projection also takes into account the parallax effect. With TrackIR, if you move your head laterally left, the HUD projection shifts right.

Centering the HUD with rudder is, in effect, cancelling out drift caused by wind, as you have discovered.

BTW

Negative on both....wind only exists when your standing on the ground...

Oneway

Thats not right, (apologies if you have already sussed this). I always add wind to my missions and its a rollercoaster all the way! Wind is modelled at 3 altitude levels in FC2.0,"sea level", 2000m & 8000m

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Ladder and flight path marker are uncaged from HUD center in FC2, it's function - so they can clearly show you are drifting to the right

but you already got this one!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer