arrestor cable

hi guy's:

my mind was wondering, seeing as I am working on an f-18C and Canada does not have carrier ops. What we do have at certain runways where the F-18c's land, there is an arrestor cable setup for emergency use in case one of the f18's losses brakes.

Can this be duplicated in FC2? I kinda think out of the box so what if you did a texture for a carrier but just had the cables high enough out of the ground and the rest of the carrier with some modifications under could that be a way to do it or is there a much easier way. Just thinking again. cheers.

rattler

• Like 1

Not possible in FC2, the only jet with a working hook is the Su-33.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Not possible in FC2, the only jet with a working hook is the Su-33.

No, the only cockpit with a working hook is the Su-33 cockpit, but im unsure. I think VNAO use F-15 cockpit with a working hook also.

So i guess u can use any cockpit for any plane.

By the way, are you a pilot Cali, IRL ?

• Like 1

sign-pic4.jpg

Let's just say he's more familiar with the subject than you. :P

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No, the only cockpit with a working hook is the Su-33 cockpit, but im unsure. I think VNAO use F-15 cockpit with a working hook also.

So i guess u can use any cockpit for any plane.

By the way, are you a pilot Cali, IRL ?

No, not a real pilot, just work on jets, well not anymore, I work on ones that drop a lot of bombs. If VNAO uses a F-15 with working cockpit that would be amazing, since the F-15 isn't designed to land on a carrier. I don't know much about the VNAO mod, but I thought they somehow can use the Su-33 for both the F-14 and F-18 at the same time. Maybe Moa can shed some light on this. USAF jets aren't made to withstand the forces of a carrier landing.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

You can have all planes use arrester hook, however, I am using the FC2 version of the F-18c with an su-33 cockpit and an a10 keyboard. The F-18A is like the Canadian a/c , it has a hook used for emergency landings at certain airports in the country. So the question is can you some how make a work around that would put an arrestor cable on a runway.

If you can sink objects below earths surface, you should be able to remodel and sink a carrier just under the surface with the cables running along runway. This is just a thought.

When we had a/c popping up to early on radar, we could put the radar site below ground till we had the right visual on radar. Just a thought.

Flaming Cliffs 2 has the flexibility that any aircraft can have an arrestor hook modeled for landing (even if it is not shown on the model mesh). To do this you need to add entries to the aircraft's LUA in Scripts/Database/planes/<aircraft.lua>

In particular you need to add one of two entries depending on whether you'd like to take-off and land from either a ski-ramp carrier like the Kuznetsov (or Ark Royal etc) or an arresting cable carrier like the Carl Vison.

The ski-ramp entry is:

TakeOffRWCategories =

{

[1] =

{

CLSID = "{498729D7-0504-43f4-9585-F906CFE3B508}",

Name = "AircraftCarrier With Tramplin",

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of TakeOffRWCategories

The arrestor-wire entry is:

TakeOffRWCategories =

{

[1] =

{

CLSID = "{A899CB38-FECC-46ef-9F85-165779669F56}",

Name = "AircraftCarrier With Catapult",

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of TakeOffRWCategories

For some aircraft you can just use the VNAO mod. I'll digress from the arrestor cable topic here to describe this mod, as it may help you since it covers much of the same ground:

The VNAO mod 2.0.0 has the following:

* F/A-18F model with MiG-29G cockpit. This was selected because it has air-to-air and air-to-ground capability and displays in NATO units (feet, pounds, nautical miles) which means the carrier manuals can be followed for numbers (VNAO has a retired naval flight instructor and a guy currently transitioning to the F/A-18 at Miramar, so the numbers work for them).

* F-14D. This uses the F-15C cockpit since air-to-air is the primary mission. However, you can drop dumb bombs with a basic fall line (check out the video JAR made of his Operation Geronimo mission, which we flew two weeks after the real thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXxXsLefn6Q; in that video the Tomcats give the smack-down to SAMs using tactics JAR gleaned from real-life Tomcat pilots and RAAF F-111 pilots).

* MiG-29K. This uses the MiG-29S cockpit. Integrated into VNAO by 104th_Presing and based on the MiG-29K mod by Tomcatz and others (sorry, I can't remember off-hand all the contributors so can't credit them here).

Soon to be released (hopefully within the next week or two):

* EF-18G (replaces stock F/A-18A) with MiG-29G cockpit. Basically the VNAO Hornet F but tweaked so that it carries AGM-88 HARMS instead of AGM-84A Harpoons. There is a fudge in getting the HARMS to lock, but once they're away they scream away around Mach 4 like the real thing. Based on launch work by SVK_Sniper with tweaks to missile model (warhead and speed works like a fast, small-warhead HARM and not a slow, large-warhead Harpoon).

The VNAO mod also integrates some of the excellent models being produced by Becszl and others (SA-3, Scud, plus this 3GO Flanker, improved F-15, A-10A etc). The intent is for a single "ubermod" to make it easy for everyone to share the sublime work still being done on FC2 by the community.

You can download and examine the mod yourself. The following is a link to the VNAO mods, but on that page are mediafire links which are much faster to download than from stallturn itself:

http://www.stallturn.com/wiki/en/VNAO_mods

FYI: The next version of the VNAO mod after that will be some time away as we hope to integrate the EFA (Extra Flyable Aircraft) mod with the VNAO mod.

• Like 1

Moa:

Yes I have that mod but I am using the FC2 F-18 flyable and I think you will see it will not be easy to get all weapons loads working.

The question is can you put the aircraft carrier underground so all that would be visible would be the arrestor cable. Now some mod will have to be done to get the tower structure removed. Point is some F18A's do not land on carriers but have the hook for emergencies at certain airports that have an arrestor cable setup. I was wondering if this kind of thing can be done with FC2. VNAO has done such a great job on it's mod and if anyone can answer that question, I would think it would come form one of the modders.

If I can't get the F-18C loads right, I will switch to the VNAO F-18's.

Good luck in all your future works. Fantastic work.

rattler

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry rattler, did not see your post until now.

I dunno about sinking the carrier to the runway. Turns out the F-16 also has an arrestor cable for emergency landings too (and things like the A-4 had them too). Most ships cannot be placed on land (although you can place some right on the shoreline so that it looks like they're beached).

I dunno if the ability to simulate this would compensate for the lost of the ability to use an actual carrier though.

Moa:

Yes I can understand the lose of a carrier. Just thought I would get an idea going and see where it leads.

aaron886: there is never a solid no. Not highly probable but until one thinks of the possibilities and tries then the possibility exists. It is computer software and one never knows what can be done until one tries. It may not be a carrier but just maybe there might be a way to move the arrester cables. Who knows until one with software knowledge tries the idea. You may be absolutely correct but it has to be tried first.

I have tried. Quite a bit. There's no practical or usable way to do this.

Good on you: I like people who think outside the box and willing to try and use something for something different. Takes talent to change objects or whatever to do something else. Just look at what FC2 modders,skinners etc. have done to improve this series. Don't stop thinking and trying, even once in a while throw an idea out to forum, like I do at times. Who knows what may come of it. Maybe something and maybe nothing. One has to try. Cheers.

rattler

• 11 months later...
hi guy's:

my mind was wondering, seeing as I am working on an f-18C and Canada does not have carrier ops. What we do have at certain runways where the F-18c's land, there is an arrestor cable setup for emergency use in case one of the f18's losses brakes.

Can this be duplicated in FC2? I kinda think out of the box so what if you did a texture for a carrier but just had the cables high enough out of the ground and the rest of the carrier with some modifications under could that be a way to do it or is there a much easier way. Just thinking again. cheers.

rattler

(re: top of thread, Message #1)

Your question concerns FC2.

My answer concerns FSX and VNAO's add-on downloads for it:

http://www.carrierpilot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61

The Arrestor Cables add-on is fun to use with the Hornet and the Goshawk on a land based runway.

Actually the US Navy "pilot cadets" (?) practice cable traps on runway landings before going out on a ship to qualify using the T-45 Goshawk.

There is a scripting variable within the FSX code to adjust how heavy the jet hits the cables on the carrier as in the Acceleration Pack's Hornet model after catching a cable the aircraft is not modeled correctly and dances hard after a trap. In real life the cables are set with weights below deck to allow for each aircraft's unique approach weight. There is a better way to say this in writing and I am not saying it properly. I found this script change in my browsing travels.

FSX's programming code is not the same as what LockOn uses, but I would think the concept is the same. I would think it would be possible. The link above attests for what 3rd party contributors have contributed on their own time and for free. I also put one of those "AiCarriers2" carriers on a FSX runway just for the fun of it, but it was 50 feet above the runway. The Arrestor Cables add-on is inches above the runway.

Edited by ErichVon