Just getting started...need advice!

I had run a few of the old Jane's series some years ago but never had time with work to become proficient. Then last year I heard about DCS and now have the A-10C Warthog, the P51D Mustang, the TF51D Mustang, the SU25T, and now the F-15C beta. Up till this very day however I was still working and raising my family and just didn't have time to get into it. I was saving DCS for the future, and that future is now here!

I just got the F-15C because I assumed with its game flight version I could move into the series a little easier, but there's no instruction or training with it! There's a menu item for training videos, but all I get is an unknown module error when I try to download them. And my Thrustmaster T-HotasX is not setup correctly evidently, but their are no instructions for doing so. A lot of buttons in the bindings options, but no info on their proper use, etc.

Basically what I'm looking for are good setup instructions for this joystick/throttle for each plane or one common to all of them, and some help in starting out the "right" way with DCS so that I can slowly build up my abilities and knowledge with each plane. Which to begin with? Good training info? And anything else that might help me to get to the point where I can start going head to head in the MP side of the games/sims. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to try and keep the number of dumb questions down as much as possible. Once I really get started I should be okay, but right now I feel overwhelmed!

Thanx in advance!

From 'Robert Meek' aka "FFOman" dba Tangentals Design Creative Concepts in Programming Design & Code

Business e-mail: TanDesign@comcast.net Gaming e-mail: FFOlonghair@comcast.net

Games I Play: DCS World, FreeSpace 2, Star Citizen, F1 2015, Chess.

FFOman's World Blog: Coming Soon!ttp://ffomansworldblog.wordpress.com/

Had not the time to get into it? Just to make sure ... but you are up to date with your DCS installation (i.e. running version 1.2.8)?

Anyhow, you might want to read the manuals first - they should be accessible from the windows start menu.

To set up your controllers ... I can only give you the advice to work through it manually. Whenever you learn something, check back and make sure, your controllers are set up for that task. This might result in several iterations of reworking the controller assignments, but I found for me this is a good way to get familar with either the functions you are learning at a point in time and to get familar with your controlle setup as such. A pre-defined profile would probably of not too much help anyways - if you are completely unfamilar all the mapped functions and their meaning.

That said, just some pointers where the controller mapping maybe has some rough edged that could surprise you:

1. The dialog where you set up your controls shows horizontally the functions of the aircraft that you can use. Vertically your controllers are shown (note the horizontal scroll bar! :o)
  2. You select a "Layer" that you want to configure. That is the aircraft. Make sure, you select the correct one - there are distinct entries for an aircraft for "game mode" and "simulation mode"!
  3. You can filter the functions (the horizontal lines) by selecting a "category" (next to "Layer"). This makes the whole configuring process a bit less intimidating and easier.
  4. DCS maps certain functions to more or less random buttons on your controllers by default. That means, you can end up with a mapping of one function to different controllers at the same time (i.e. "Release Weapon" as a button on your stick AND as an other button on your throttle). This is especially important to check and to correct for analog axes! Otherwise you end up banking wiht your stick AND your throttle AND your rudder ... which could (will!) lead to "interesting flight behaviour" ... :o)
    In short: make sure, that for each (relevant) function only one controller assignment exists.
  5. Some weired behaviour of axes can be helped with if you click "Tune Axis". For example, some rudder pedals need their toe break axes to be reversed. You can also define cuves to your axes to make them less "twitchy" (can help with some joysticks ... although I reccomend to try it without curves first!).

Edited by Flagrum

I had run a few of the old Jane's series some years ago but never had time with work to become proficient. Then last year I heard about DCS and now have the A-10C Warthog, the P51D Mustang, the TF51D Mustang, the SU25T, and now the F-15C beta. Up till this very day however I was still working and raising my family and just didn't have time to get into it. I was saving DCS for the future, and that future is now here!

I just got the F-15C because I assumed with its game flight version I could move into the series a little easier, but there's no instruction or training with it! There's a menu item for training videos, but all I get is an unknown module error when I try to download them. And my Thrustmaster T-HotasX is not setup correctly evidently, but their are no instructions for doing so. A lot of buttons in the bindings options, but no info on their proper use, etc.

Basically what I'm looking for are good setup instructions for this joystick/throttle for each plane or one common to all of them, and some help in starting out the "right" way with DCS so that I can slowly build up my abilities and knowledge with each plane. Which to begin with? Good training info? And anything else that might help me to get to the point where I can start going head to head in the MP side of the games/sims. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to try and keep the number of dumb questions down as much as possible. Once I really get started I should be okay, but right now I feel overwhelmed!

Thanx in advance!

I have a great set of video tutorials for the Su-25T - most of the basics apply to the F-15C and the other Flaming Cliffs aircraft. The first six videos are all about getting started, taxi, takeoff, navigation, landing and countermeasures - and these are applicable to pretty much any DCS aircraft you fly. So you may want to start by learning the basics in the Su-25T, and then taking what you've learned on to the more advanced aircraft.

Here's the link, hope it helps!

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

I have a great set of video tutorials for the Su-25T - most of the basics apply to the F-15C and the other Flaming Cliffs aircraft. The first six videos are all about getting started, taxi, takeoff, navigation, landing and countermeasures - and these are applicable to pretty much any DCS aircraft you fly. So you may want to start by learning the basics in the Su-25T, and then taking what you've learned on to the more advanced aircraft.

Here's the link, hope it helps!

These tutorials are absolutely superb. Thanks Psyrixx by the way. They should be standard viewing for everybody new to DCS World.

Blooze...thanx for the invite but the Warthog has a real steep learning curve and I doubt it's the best place to start. Did you actually read my message?

From 'Robert Meek' aka "FFOman" dba Tangentals Design Creative Concepts in Programming Design & Code

Thanx much to Flagrum and Psyrixx for their helpful replies. I'm going to give it my best shot, but if anyone has any more helpful hits, tutorials, etc., please let me know. Also, what setups are flyers playing MP using? I mean are their standards I must learn to fly using in order to get into MP? I don't want to screw myself up using settings that I'll definitely have to alter later on to get into flying with others!

Psy's videos are great. I started less than a week ago (first sim ever for me) by watching the first few of his vids. They really helped to get me going. Then I DL'd FC3 and thought "These aren't really applicable to my F-15", so I stopped watching them. Wrong. They are still great for building a base level knowledge. I will be continuing to work through them.

FWIW, I also find it ridiculous that ED didn't include any training videos with each aircraft...but I'm sure there's a good reason.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Blooze...thanx for the invite but the Warthog has a real steep learning curve and I doubt it's the best place to start. Did you actually read my message?

I read, Then last year I heard about DCS and now have the A-10C Warthog, and offered an invitation for a future time when you may have learned to fly it.

Ok Blooze...got it, but it may be a while before I get to the Warthog! <g no offense intended!>

I'm going to check these vids out first thing tomorrow. The hard part I'm having with the tutorials is that I can't read the small print on the controls or hash marks on trims, etc, and so am not sure I'm setting them correctly. Mustn't be though cause after trying to set the three trims the tutorial doesn't move on! I'm hoping between the manual and the tutorials I'll be able to figure it out, as well as which controls I really need to worry about! Should I get used to game mode before trying to fly the sims?

Thanx so much for your reply...very helpful! Over the last few months I've been flying the Iron Cross WW 1 sim and having a lot of fun learning navigation and map reading. Also these bi and tri-planes are like leaves blowing in the wind, making target holding extremely tough! I'm sure what I've learned will come in handy. In any case, and for my own enjoyment, the minute I'm feeling confident with the Mustang in takeoffs and landings, I plan on trying to pick a dogfight on MP to learn tactics by doing! I can learn equally well using written or video'd tutorials, but nothing beats hand-on experience with someone having more experience than yourself! If you would be interested in spending a little of your own air-time flying circles around a noob I'll look you up in about a month or so!

This is a fool's paradise. Go 0/0 curve and fly better from day 1. :thumbup:

use an x52 for a month with 0/0 and actually have an enjoyable time in the game, and im buying you a lobster dinner.