What is difference between flares and chaff? When to use which?

guitarxe

Sorry if this question is dumb obvious to some, but this is my first modern military flight sim, and I can't find information anywhere when to use chaff and when to use flares? There is no explicable difference described in the manual. When should I use which?

• Like 1

Flares are just that, flares that burn with very carefully tailored light emissions so as to prevent an infrared seeker from locking onto the aircraft.

Chaff are aluminium coated glass fibers of varying length that are made to be reflective to a broad spectrum of radar waves so as to throw off the radar of a plane or missile that has locked on to your aircraft.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 2 weeks later...

Not many have both. None of the air to air missiles in DCS do.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

But don't some missiles have both IR and Radar tracking? I think especially those carried by fighters? Or do those not exist in DCS?

For the most part they don't exist in reality as far as air to air missiles go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Because they don't know if it's only the radar missile that has been launched.

Or, because they don't know any better.

Why can't you read their minds? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Because they don't know if it's only the radar missile that has been launched.

Or, because they don't know any better.

Why can't you read their minds? ;)

While this is true, rumor also has it that some people are too lazy to use two buttons when Q works just fine. Whoever those people may be...

On an unrelated note, I'm taking donations for HOTAS with more buttons.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

well in theory enemy could punch IR and radar missile at you, and you wouldn't have a warning that IR is in the mix of those two missiles..

IR is autonomous anyway not being detected by your plane when targeted by EOS, and radar missile would make your RWR alert u.. but in reality in our pc gamers ppl yes i think ppl just lazy and punch "Q" a bit too much not differentiating the two decoys..

i think ppl just lazy and punch "Q" a bit too much not differentiating the two decoys..

It's a lazy habit but it's not necessarily a bad one in this case for the reasons you mentioned. If it wasn't for the fact that missile range was so short I'd probably conserve flares a bit more, but as it stands right now the radar guided missiles can barely outreach the IR's (ET).

When it comes to ground attack, if you're near enemy ground forces and low enough, flares are probably a good idea even if you don't think a missile is actually coming.