Laser/IR beam width?

Supersheep

This video gives the impression that either the beam is not particularly focused from the beginning or it gets disturbed by the air and what is in it. Since it is visible in NVGs, I assume it has to be IR, which might not be as focused as an actual invisible laser.

Is this still useful for guiding whatever would be used or is it a more general illumination/tracking/marking device?

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBPigVpPy0

Hmm good question. I don't know what's going on with laser/illumination in your video but if you watch closely in the video below, you can see a quick flash on the target usually just before impact. According to this, the diameter of the laser spot is not more than one meter wide. The distance to target isn't very long either though.

The one flash at 2:14 (approx) looks more like 10 - 20 cm indeed. In the video desc it says that the distance was 3,x and 6,x kilometers, so it is definitely comparable to the slant range of the C-130. I wonder if it is unrelated to a laser as above and has to do with the weapon/fuze because it is only seen with the Hellfire, but not the other missile. Different purposes might explain the difference in diameter seen here.

Additionally, there's an AH-64D doing some work in the test here, throwing in another variable...

Edit: My edit got lost. Standby.

Edit edit: Edit is edited back.

Right now, I only know that I know jack :book:

Edited by Supersheep

that flash immediately before impact is likely related to fusing

not mid-course guidance

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Info about the illuminator is here:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/usmc/mcwp/3-23-1/apph.pdf

It's a gated IR illuminator for use with the narrow television that works with the Low Light Level TV sensor system.

Here's video that shows it from a closer position, skip to 4:20 in to see them using it.

Edited by Invader ZIM