How far can you get with 6Mbit Upload ?

BitMaster

I just checked my ISP's website and I can now opt for a 100/6 Mbit line for a few bucks more compared to my current 32/2 Mbit line.

I would only do this IF it would allow me to host say round about 10 players.

For my everyday surf experience the 32/2 is plenty for me, so the sole reason for this would be DCS. Mind you, they tie me for another 2 years to the contract if I do this, so I would like to know before if it makes sense or if 6Mbit will only allow 5-7 players in a stable manner.

Any RL experience if that is realistic ?

ENO maybe ?

Thanks for your input ;)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

just saw this, if I apply for that with my Business, which makes sense for tax reasons, they would give me 12 Mbit Upload.

So how far would 12 Mbit get me ?

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well- if people are doing what they're supposed to and connecting at 2048... you're a better math wiz than I am but you'd be able to host WAY more than DCS can reliably support at this point in time with 12 up. I run 15 up and have no complaints about performance regarding that- but then again remember the server is pretty empty now (just like everyone's save for maybe half a dozen out of 30+) so the demand hasn't been there. We needed bigger upload streams when we all had to run at LAN settings- but I am happy to report that is more than fixed. People connecting on LAN actually create issues.

Only reason I went with 15 is at the time, sometimes guys would draw 1.5mbps... restricting me to a MAX of 10... now they've cut that down by a quarter or more- in A2A / PVP servers you could easily get by on 1024... where 2048 comes in is when you have lots of AI and ground vehicles involved. I stuck with 15 up because I didn't feel 10 up was going to be quite enough... 15 is the most I can get through my ISP- unfortunately it's saddled with a USELESS 250 down... Anyway, it is what it is.

Even my heaviest missions upload is no more than 150kbps or so (1024) while 2048 is about twice that... maybe a bit more.

If all you want is to run 10 people then 6 up is fine.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Thanks ENO,

I will talk to Kitchen Command and apply if the General allows.

She does the budget as I am a good network guy but a lousy financial manager HAHA :)

Bit

• Like 1

It is insane !!!

When I started with Flanker all we had was an ISDN line with 64Kbit, 128Kbit if you paid double for the time. The glorius US guys had a THING called CABLE MODEM with 1Mbit but most of us had either ISDN or 56Kbit analog modems. And it worked for the whole Squad, including RogerWilco.

Reminds me of my mentor:

"Nowadays, they all use ready-to-use programming tools, producing thousands of lines of useless code whereas straight programming in a core language would need 1/100th of the space and code

and be so much more efficient" blabla I guess he is still right today.

The other guy I had for teaching me html ( back in 2003 ) told me not to use Word for html code.

He said, 1 empty page coded in Word uses 2 pages of code, whereas if done straight in html its 1 line. He showed the Word output to class and we all were surprised how inefficient tool boxes can be....

I am no programmer apart from scripts and batch files but I do believe that optimizing code is the best thing to speed things up in all directions ;)

Keep it lean and sleek

Bit

When I bought my first custom computer- a 166mmx with all the bells and whistles I can't even remember, what I DO remember VERY clearly was saying "a modem? What would I need that for? I'm not an internet guy. "

Of course I was to quickly learn how wrong I was and had to chose between a blazing 56k or the 33.6 (?) (can't remember). Of course still somewhat dubious I went with the lower. Then I met rainbow six-

And that was 5 years of my life spent in a basement.

Anyway if mp picks up with 1.3.0 maybe we can justify the 12 but right now I think 6 up would be plenty given the current mp climate.

"ENO"

Haha! My neighbor was a telco engineer (retired) and when he build his home in 1990, he installed ethernet lines in his home, in every room. Said the contractor: "Those are some expensive speaker wirings..."

Is there a system behind the changes of the DCS network setting? I remember LAN being the recommended one, and then, IIRC, 1024. I'm glad that some people have enough data to figure out the most stable setting, but having this change arbitrarily with every other patch seems both arcane and inconvenient.

Edit: for lack of attention and spelling.

Edited by Supersheep

well consider yourself lucky lol, I live in the middle of nowhere in NZ stuck with 250 kb/s download and 50 kb/s upload :D

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

It's not that it changed arbitrarily- in 127 it he LAN issue got fixed. They recommended 1024 for most applications unless there was heavy AI in which case 2048 was necessary. Considering it can be changed with a mouse click isn't so bad but an auto throttle would be nice eh?

"ENO"