1.2.8 Mission Start / Time More trigger broken

Buzzles

Just because this has tripped me up over the past week while starting to learn the Mission Editor, it appears as if the Mission Start trigger is broken in 1.2.8.

Attached is a really simple test mission starting in a Ka50 at Tbilisi.

Two triggers:

Mission Start -> Time More (10) -> Message + Smoke and Flare at TR1.

Once -> Time More (15) -> Message + Smoke and Flare at TR2.

The Mission Start for TR1 never triggers, whereas the Once trigger works fine.

Edit: It appears to be all aircraft, regardless of it being a helo or plane as I tested with Ka-50, TF-51 and the Su-25T.

Start Trigger Test.miz

Edited by Buzzles

Yes, Mission Start won't work at time 10 seconds because the mission started 10 seconds ago. Mission Start triggers work at the exact start of the mission.

If you want the message to be selected to appear at mission start, but only display after 10 seconds, you can use a flag to store the mission start action I believe.

Mission Start > nothing (or random 100%) > Flag 1 On

Once > Flag 1 On & time more 10 seconds > Message + Smoke

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Righto, while that does make sense, and Mission Start does indeed work without a condition, I'd still argue it's a bug.

I'd just argue it's a UI bug instead of a logic bug and that the ME shouldn't let you set those conditions if you've selected a Mission Start trigger.

Still, thanks for the help guys.

Afaik there is no plausibilty checks at all for any combination of Trigger Type/ Event and Condition. So, while the handling could certainly be optimized, I would not really call this a bug.

And while thinking about it, the Trigger Type "At Mission Start" is basically redundant. More coherent would probably be if it were replaced with a new Event Type "Mission Start" for the Trigger Type "Once"? (which still would not solve the OPs problem at hand, but still ...?)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say it's not a bug, too. But, for Mission Start events the Conditions pane *could* be grayed out.

Tip: if you have more than one event that needs to be started asap, I suggest using a ONCE, Time More and separate these events by a couple few seconds so they are not all triggering at the same time.

I use Mission Start events mostly to set flags, especially random values.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.