G940 FF effects

sondo214

I have noticed that the G940 Force feedback system is not used in UH-1 apart from the Trim system, whereas in other modules there are some effects like aircraft stall programmed that the stick trembles. Wouldn't be nice that in UH-1 you could feel the transition to and from ETL, or the blade stall, or the VRS all of which in RL cause the aircraft to vibrate? Can this be done?

I'm guessing you've played around with the stick shaker setting. I don't know if Belsimtek is ever going to implement this. In the meantime, you could use a Buttkicker/transducer to give you better feel for the aircraft, or even a good subwoofer is strong enough to do this.

Well using one of these won't do any good. I mean when you pass ETL sound doesn't change, so buttkicker or a subwoofer won't give me any notice about that. The ability to feel these phases of flight would be nice as in RL. I know that you can see the cocpit shake but feeling it is next level to that, much more real...

Not only G940 whould benefit from this but every FF user...

Maybe if a few more people post their like in this the Dev's do it. I know nothing of programing but I beleive it's not that difficult. I mean other modules have these effects. Won't be that hard to just copy them I imagine...

They could probably get it done in an afternoon if they had to, but with these things it's how much time they are not spending doing other stuff that matters. There was a developer that helped out in the Bugs and Problems G940 FFB thread; you could bring it to his attention.

I have noticed that the G940 Force feedback system is not used in UH-1 apart from the Trim system, whereas in other modules there are some effects like aircraft stall programmed that the stick trembles. Wouldn't be nice that in UH-1 you could feel the transition to and from ETL, or the blade stall, or the VRS all of which in RL cause the aircraft to vibrate? Can this be done?

There is no vibration coming from the hydraulics/control mechanism to the cyclic-stick in the Huey. Only in hydraulics off condition the cyclic-stick kinda vibrates, but that has to do with valves opening and closing in rapid succession and is not connected to the airspeed.

Well using one of these won't do any good. I mean when you pass ETL sound doesn't change, so buttkicker or a subwoofer won't give me any notice about that. The ability to feel these phases of flight would be nice as in RL. I know that you can see the cocpit shake but feeling it is next level to that, much more real...

Not only G940 whould benefit from this but every FF user...

In professional full motion simulators you don´t have a stickshaker, but a seatshaker and you immediately "fall out of immersion" if the seatshaker stops working.

Maybe I´m wrong and a little shaking of the stick could add a bit to the immersion, but i´m highly sceptical about that.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I do not say that the vibration in these situations comes from hydraulics/control mechanism nor do I refuse that a seatshaker would be better/nicer/more realistic. But our stick is the one that is made to shake and why not use it to have these effects is my question.

I would also like to get more feedback through the stick. I just managed to get my hands on a sidewinder ffb2 and started up the huey because well, "this is gonna be awesome!", only to be left a bit underwhelmed.

The trimming works great and all and flying with the trim off is cool too, but i would like to feel my skids scraping over the concrete, buffeting, transition through ETL, perhaps a hint of VRS. I would like to feel more of what my helicopter is doing.

Now i only had a short flight so i don't know if damage (aside from hydraulic/trim failure) or taking hits is incorporated into the force feedback set or that it is really limited to the trim settings.

Belsimtek, if/when you get around to it, please add more aircraft/fuselage shaking to the FF package because, as has been said earlier: it's the only direct link we have with the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the real Huey you do not feel any vibration effect on the flight controls different than the whole helicopter "vibrating" itself.

Thus the hydraulic flight controls do not have specific vibration themselves.

Addin an artificial vibration to the flight controls would make precission flying even more difficult and unrealistc. :joystick:

I agree that the airframe is the one that vibrates but only our stick is what vibrates... besides in evely module the stick is what vibrates to alert to various situations i.e stall. Adding the effect with variable by the user strengh wouldn't affect your control. Tune it down to just feel that something that needs your attention is happening. Disable it if you don't like it!

• 3 weeks later...

The only time the stick will vibrate irl is if the is damage and/or imbalance to the rotors, which you will feel in the stick as you try to fight this vibration. (Hydraulic controls are capable of transmitting force back to the user/pilot). Or maybe if the rpm is too low. But mostly vibrations come from the airframe and a buttkicker or similar is what you're looking for. Stick shaking will make flying very hard and is mostly unrealistic.

Buttkicker uses audio signal to generate the effects you feel. As there is no special sound/audio heard when you are entering VRS, or close to stall speed or when passing through ETL, buttkicker will do nothing

True, but I meant buttkicker in the sense of the technology (move your seat) over moving the stick. You can still be clever with it. The buttkicker series, at least the one under my couch, will resonate at sub-audible frequencies, which certain movies do have integrated into the sound track. Assuming equipment that can process below 20hz, you can cheat a little by sending the vibration effects as a analog audio signal under the audible band of 20-20k and the buttkicker should respond when your speakers do not. But that's on the programming side.

Just for the record, in the past vibrations to the joystick have been implemented in order to alert pilot for various dangerous conditions. Not in the Huey though. For example in the F-104 starfighter, when approaching stall speed the designers made the stick shake to allert the pilot.

Just for the record, found the info in wikipedia and thought nice to share