Customizing labels in cockpit

Chain

Hello,

I went to an aviation museum and took a bunch of photos of the Finnish MiG-21 Bis cockpit and I would like to customize the current labels to look similar to the Finnish MiG-21 labels (some of them are in Finnish). Can you guys tell me what is the easiest way to edit the text labels? Do I need to edit the textures or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Chain

Edited by Chain

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

Hello,

I went to an aviation museum and took a bunch of photos of the Finnish MiG-21 Bis cockpit and I would like to customize the current labels to look similar to the Finnish MiG-21 labels (some of them are in Finnish). Can you guys tell me what is the easiest way to edit the text labels? Do I need to edit the textures or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Chain

you have to edit the texture most of them can be done directly on dds

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Can I edit .dds files in Gimp directly (or with a plugin) or do I need tools to convert .dds to a .bmp or something similar?

Chain

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

There are a few plugins for Gimp to open and save DDS files. Not sure on the best one, but a quick google found a couple.

In the Dev update it mentioned some optimisation of the cockpit geometry, which may affect the textures. If you use layers it wont be too bad as you could move your modifactions around, just bear in mind that things may change.

Good luck.

Is the Finnish cockpit very different from the one we have in game right now? I think there might be for example different navigation instruments etc. Long time ago when I missed the funding campaign I thought it would've been great to have the Finnish cockpit included in the project, I wonder if there's any chance of that happening ever? There are plenty of resources available to model it (I think), I wonder how much work (& money) would be required to create one?

Maybe that would be enough incentive to include Finland as a playable country as well.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Is the Finnish cockpit very different from the one we have in game right now? I think there might be for example different navigation instruments etc. Long time ago when I missed the funding campaign I thought it would've been great to have the Finnish cockpit included in the project, I wonder if there's any chance of that happening ever? There are plenty of resources available to model it (I think), I wonder how much work (& money) would be required to create one?

Maybe that would be enough incentive to include Finland as a playable country as well.

MiG-21Bis_FINAF_labels.png

Thanks for the tips guys!

Labels are well underway and about 50% of them are now done. I will need to go get more reference photos to finish (no pun intended :megalol:) the rest of them.

Yes the Finnish Bis has few different instruments and control panels but I wanted to do the labels which are same in both versions. I will post the completed package when it's ready.

Chain

Edited by Chain

System:

Made a new thread where you can download the work in progress version of the "mod".

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2182151#post2182151

System: