Forget fighting Phantoms, I am killing Eagles :)

streakeagle

I have all the old F-15C DACT missions from LOMAC/FC2 imported into FC3. These covered the F-15C fighting guns only, heaters and guns, and BVR categories versus 1 or 2 MiG-23s/MiG-29s/Su-27s. I had already modified them to support flying MiG-29s and Su-27s vs F-4s/F-15s/F-16s.

Now I have MiG-21bis DACT missions vs F-4s/F-15s. The two missions I have been playing are the guns only and guns/heaters vs 1xF-15C with Excellent skill level. In the heaters mission, the F-15C has 4xAIM-9P vs the MiG-21bis with 4xR-60M and 2xR-13M1.

As the mission starts head on and fairly close, I have just enough time to set all my switches before merging and reversing. I arm the chaff/flare dispenser with the cover flipped up, dial the target wingspan to 12m, charge the guns, and set the radar to interference mode since the F-15C jams the crap out of the MiG-21bis radar. If I get my buttons lined up quick enough, I can get a clean gun kill at the head on pass somewhat easily. But where is the sport in that?

Typically, I climb over the top and then use the RWR to get hints as to where the F-15 went after the pass. Sometimes, I never lose sight, which allows me to more quickly start pulling g toward the F-15. With patience and a light touch, I can pull enough g to force the F-15C out in front, at which point the AI panics and provides some good shot opportunities.

R-60M is the weapon of choice: it gets a tone and hits for a kill almost every time if fired within valid parameters.

GOFFLS.jpg

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you can fight the F-4 effectively, you can fight the F-15... but you have to make good use of every bit of speed before it bleeds too low. I highly suggest use of the secondary (emergency) reheat, but that means you have to get turned around and shoot very quickly or suffer engine damage/failure. As it stands, the fuel situation makes a fast, effective shot a necessity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, last night I was practicing gunzo with F-16's & F-15's, after a fair merge could usually get on their 6 and in a good firing position with patience and careful airspeed,AoA and G management. :)

Btw- The "skill" setting is no such thing, it only changes the range at which the AI can identify targets.

post videos please!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

If you can fight the F-4 effectively, you can fight the F-15... but you have to make good use of every bit of speed before it bleeds too low. I highly suggest use of the secondary (emergency) reheat, but that means you have to get turned around and shoot very quickly or suffer engine damage/failure. As it stands, the fuel situation makes a fast, effective shot a necessity.

How do you use the emergency afterburner? I press the switch , but cannot go over the normal full reheat.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Ah, there is the explanation. I wonder why though. Any insights?

I have no idea, think I read it in the manual, oh! here it is:

"The delta wing, while excellent for fast acceleration and supersonic speeds, was not the best option for low speed flying and close air-to-air (AA) combat. This was partially improved with the

introduction of an emergency afterburner, which improved thrust/weight ratio at altitudes up to

4000m, enabling the plane to fly at low speeds while performing sharp maneuvers and to quickly

recover from low speed stall conditions." manual page 12

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

My tally is up to 2 human f15s killed on the 104th.. and an enemy mig 21 attacking our a10s

I fear for the day I overlook a Mig and get shot down. I let a Warthog hit me with an AIM-9 once and that was pretty much the most embarrassing thing ever.

Stay low and tough to pick up on the radar and you'll continue to get some nice pop up kills.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I fear for the day I overlook a Mig and get shot down. I let a Warthog hit me with an AIM-9 once and that was pretty much the most embarrassing thing ever.

Stay low and tough to pick up on the radar and you'll continue to get some nice pop up kills.

Yup and communication on TS3 with friendlies helps a ton as well. I get their help with vectoring to where the enemy fighters are so I can ambush.