Help wanted building a 14 screen Professional Flight Simulator

Thai Police Flight Sim

As far as I understand it, there is no way you are going to be able to utilize a high number of CPU cores for rendering (whether distributed over several networked PCs or not) without support from ED, at least with the current engine. Of course I have no idea what might change with EDGE.

If you cannot get that support but you still want to use your monitors instead of a small number of projectors, the only way I see this working is to let DCS render a single viewport with a high FOV and then apply some mathematical transformations to the output image to warp sections of that image to fit your different monitors. I have no idea how you would do that, but I imagine that people who project onto surfaces that are not perfectly flat or curved in some regular way have to solve the same problem, so there is probably a commercial solution out there somewhere. I think the magic word is "projection mapping".

• 2 weeks later...

I could read a lot of smart remarks in this thread. And in essence, yes, you guys are right. Generating a picture across 14 screens, even with the most powerful setup available won't help you to get a decent framerate with DCS which hardly uses a couple of cores on one CPU.

I am running a 7680 x 1080 display configuration for DCS with high settings, and a watercooled i7 running at 4.5 Ghz is no luxury to run the whole thing beyond the 25/30 fps consistently.

Definitively agree with Ian on the projection mapping, since it seems like you have a significantly higher budget and means than the average guy. This will allow you to run with a reasonable display size to render by DCS while benefiting from an incredible field of view and excellent frame rate.

Sluggish frame rate is a real killer when it comes to immersion.