MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off-Topic I know, but speaking of ka50

During summer 2013, the 51st was running Black Sea Redemption ( if memory serves me right). The Red Ka-50 base was only a 45 minute flight through the mountains and valleys to the blue a-10 base (Sochi). We used to make that flight, knock out one Sam radar that was dangerous to us, and we would sit there and plink taxiing A-10c's and sometimes even hit them just after they took off. Was a lot of fun until they put in a crap load of sam's in the valleys we would approach from, oh well.

Oh well, just reminds me a bit about the Mig-21. Sometimes we shouldnt be able to do what were doing but we do it anyway. And the feeling of success is that much greater.

Edited by ff4life4

Off-Topic I know, but speaking of ka50

During summer 2013, the 51st was running Black Sea Redemption ( if memory serves me right). The Red Ka-50 base was only a 45 minute flight through the mountains and valleys to the blue a-10 base (Sochi). We used to make that flight, knock out one Sam radar that was dangerous to us, and we would sit there and plink taxiing A-10c's and sometimes even hit them just after they took off. Was a lot of fun until they put in a crap load of sam's in the valleys we would approach from, oh well.

Oh well, just reminds me a bit about the Mig-21. Sometimes we shouldnt be able to do what were doing but we do it anyway. And the feeling of success is that much greater.

Yeah that was well said. I used to fly the Ka-50 exclusively before the Fishbed. Beautiful times learning that thing actually lol

• 2 weeks later...

So i was bored and decided to do an all-out X-55 key config thing, if anyone wants this profile let me know

if anyone has some advice or can figure a way to make a key config that makes flying the mig-21 any easier than this, would be nice :D

XOmXT4V.jpg

gPn8pdk.jpg

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[ATTACH]110745[/ATTACH]

Here's the profile for that

I also suggest you watch

to see what switches you'll still need to turn on even with auto start.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found this, enjoy!

OCFMX5z-ed4

Good video, very useful :thumbup:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Ha! I just got my first Mig-21 kill vs a modern jet. I shot down a F-15 on 104th server tonight. I will upload the video later or tomorrow. Never was a kill so rewarding for me :pilotfly:

1921114344_Screen_150104_223847-Kopie.thumb.jpg.b9d9b084e5bc5ef90d165a7dca8094a3.jpg

Edited by LuSi_6

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

Ha! I just got my first Mig-21 kill vs a modern jet. I shot down a F-15 on 104th server tonight. I will upload the video later or tomorrow. Never was a kill so rewarding for me ilotfly:

Congratulations mate! Mig21 ftw! :D

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

As promised, here is the video:

tactic: I tried to stay low as possible and use the terrain as cover and very limited use of my own radar. I did switch on my radar once a minute for a quick scan and if I detect a target for IFF.

loadout: make the Mig as light as possible! 4 R-60 heat seakers, one on each pylon, 65% fuel and a centerline droptank.

What did I do? I switched on the radar for a scan once I pass the mountain in front of me. A contact! Quick IFF, ENEMEY! Immediatly I set the radar to standby. One second later my RWR freaks out, missile launch!

Now I do some things simultaneously: drop fuel tank, high 6g 90° turn into the valley next to me, deploy countermeassures. In the after battle report you get at the end of the track I saw it was an AIM-120C!

When I came out of the valley, the enemy F-15 just passes by directly abouve me. I go full force second stage of afterburner and end up on his low six o'clock! First R-60 failed (I think it went into the mountain in front of me) but the second killed his plane and the pilot. Epic win!

Pls. note that Track IR seems to not work in the replay, that's why the camera doesn't move.

Enjoy!

Edited by LuSi_6

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

As promised, here is the video:

tactic: I tried to stay low as possible and use the terrain as cover and very limited use of my own radar. I did switch on my radar once a minute for a quick scan and if I detect a target for IFF.

loadout: make the Mig as light as possible! 4 R-60 heat seakers, one on each pylon, 65% fuel and a centerline droptank.

What did I do? I switched on the radar for a scan once I pass the mountain in front of me. A contact! Quick IFF, ENEMEY! Immediatly I set the radar to standby. One second later my RWR freaks out, missile launch!

Now I do some things simultaneously: drop fuel tank, high 6g 90° turn into the valley next to me, deploy countermeassures. In the after battle report you get at the end of the track I saw it was an AIM-120C!

When I came out of the valley, the enemy F-15 just passes by directly abouve me. I go full force second stage of afterburner and end up on his low six o'clock! First R-60 failed (I think it went into the mountain in front of me) but the second killed his plane and the pilot. Epic win!

Pls. note that Track IR seems to not work in the replay, that's why the camera doesn't move.

Enjoy!

Very well done sir. Your TIR probably isn't working because you pressed an F key (F1-F-12). I've still yet to bag a fighter with an R-60 tho. How many times did he launch?

I actually got my first kill before my first death!

Flying around the mountains with radar off - anxiously turn on for a quick scan. Multiple targets, IFF says one of em was an enemy. I lock on, fire the missile and Splash! Killed an F-15 on my first sortie. I was really glad.

Since then, however - no kills, only deaths :( So my first kill stayed the only kill for now.

I got my first kill as well yesterday! Took me a few missiles since I partially don't know what I'm doing but it's a kill either way :P

Ignore the background clicking (skype call with girlfriend), shitty sound and Hadwell's voice on teamspeak. I'm not very experience with recording/uploading).

Either way, I got shot down in the process as I was being suicidal cause I just wanted to kill someone :D

And yes, I really need trackir.

I got my first kill as well yesterday! Took me a few missiles since I partially don't know what I'm doing but it's a kill either way :P

Ignore the background clicking (skype call with girlfriend), shitty sound and Hadwell's voice on teamspeak. I'm not very experience with recording/uploading).

Either way, I got shot down in the process as I was being suicidal cause I just wanted to kill someone :D

I always wanted to play with Hadwell :cry:

Well done man, was it SAMS that had you locked? You sacrificed your aircraft for the kill, but I guess F-15 pilots do that already anyways.

I actually got my first kill before my first death!

Flying around the mountains with radar off - anxiously turn on for a quick scan. Multiple targets, IFF says one of em was an enemy. I lock on, fire the missile and Splash! Killed an F-15 on my first sortie. I was really glad.

Since then, however - no kills, only deaths :( So my first kill stayed the only kill for now.

Just remember to fly reeeal defensively. Be a complete coward in the aircraft and after enough sorties you will rack up kills.

Edited by lucien

You really need to map those controls too. It was killing me watching you clicking everywhere haha

I always wanted to play with Hadwell :cry:

Well done man, was it SAMS that had you locked? You sacrificed your aircraft for the kill, but I guess F-15 pilots do that already anyways.

Just remember to fly reeeal defensively. Be a complete coward in the aircraft and after enough sorties you will rack up kills.

Do you have steam? You can add us both and play with us for sure. Thanks for the tip :)

Anyway, I was being locked onto by other F15s, there were 4 or 5 in the area which is why Hadwell was saying "ruuuuuunnnn". I decided to stay for a kill, even though I knew I'd get shot down.

And yeah, taylor, I still have some things left to map, like the IFF button and SARH/IR selector. I pretty much don't play singleplayer so I have to launch it exclusively to map my keys (can't change controls in MP).

here's the same sortie from my plane

Santi and I pared up for a while, short video of that, got a couple kills too, one with R-3Rs, one with R-60Ms

so Santi and I split up because we ran into 4+ F-15s.

I ran away to live, still managed two kills, but after that dive at the end I pulled too many G's and lost my last two missiles and had to rtb...

Santi managed his first online kill, Gratz to him!, but he ran into the F-15s and got shot down in the process...

He got his first kill at exactly the same time as the first kill I get in this video

and yeah if you wanna fly, just lemme know your steam name so I know its you and not some random guy, my nick is hadwell in steam too...

or if you see me in-game...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really need to start taking video. Last night I had 3 kills. (2 f15, 1 su-27) in one life, until I was nailed by AAMRAM. The su-27 was was very funny actually. I merged and got behind him and his reaction was just to put up a wall of flares which spoofed 3 of my r-60s. Then it appeared he ran out so I managed to stick my last r-60m in his rear end. The 2 f15s were handled with my r-3rs.

Other than that had one other r3r kill. One r3r hit nut didn't kill. And one r60m hit a target and he limped home.

I like the warhead and speed of the r-13m1, and hate the small warhead of the r-60,

Bit I like how I can double pylon the r-60m and there extremely maneuverable close in... Choices

I really need to start taking video. Last night I had 3 kills. (2 f15, 1 su-27) in one life, until I was nailed by AAMRAM. The su-27 was was very funny actually. I merged and got behind him and his reaction was just to put up a wall of flares which spoofed 3 of my r-60s. Then it appeared he ran out so I managed to stick my last r-60m in his rear end. The 2 f15s were handled with my r-3rs.

Other than that had one other r3r kill. One r3r hit nut didn't kill. And one r60m hit a target and he limped home.

I like the warhead and speed of the r-13m1, and hate the small warhead of the r-60,

Bit I like how I can double pylon the r-60m and there extremely maneuverable close in... Choices

On 104??? Damn lemme catch that replay

Do you have steam? You can add us both and play with us for sure. Thanks for the tip :)

Anyway, I was being locked onto by other F15s, there were 4 or 5 in the area which is why Hadwell was saying "ruuuuuunnnn". I decided to stay for a kill, even though I knew I'd get shot down.

And yeah, taylor, I still have some things left to map, like the IFF button and SARH/IR selector. I pretty much don't play singleplayer so I have to launch it exclusively to map my keys (can't change controls in MP).

lucienlachanceii is my steam add me

On 104??? Damn lemme catch that replay

Yup, Ill try and find the track.

Edit:

I believe the mission was Operation Leapord???? Took off from Nalchick I believe and bullseye was a nice big mountain range. Perfect for stalking quietly down there until a target pops up. Also it provides great cover if I get locked and fired at from someone.

Edited by ff4life4