correct time to arrive at waypoint ?

m1tp2king

hi.

OK I learnt that to work the autopilot you must trim then engage the autopilot. correct ?

my new question is this.

in other PC flight sims you must arrive at a waypoint at a certain pre-ordained time.

is this true for Black Shark ?

how do I know what speed to fly at to arrive at the waypoint at the right time ?

how do I set this up ?

You're talking about Time on Target (TOT). This is used in military operations to coordinate simultaneous attacks by disparate assets. I don't think the ABRIS provides this information. I believe approximate TOT is achieved by speed constraints given in mission briefings. The ABRIS does however, give you continuously calculated estimated time of arrival for each waypoint. You'll find this on the NAV page for the current and next steerpoints, as well as calculated time for each steerpoint on the PLAN page.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe the ADI only shows whether you're at the speed specified for waypoint... it's not continuously computed is it?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

OK I learnt that to work the autopilot you must trim then engage the autopilot. correct ?

They work in conjunction. Trimming is absolutely necessary for autopilot operation, yes. But there's no required "trim first, then engage autopilot" order of things, if that's what you're asking.

Also, to remain technically correct, there's not "autopilot" button or function. There are the channels of the stability augmentation system and there's Route Mode, the latter being closest to what people usually mean by "autopilot"; however, without Route Mode the helicopter can still be flown almost hands-free.

in other PC flight sims you must arrive at a waypoint at a certain pre-ordained time.

is this true for Black Shark ?

Not usually, no. It really depends on the mission. The only mission I remember where timing is actually of importance is "Air show". In all other missions I've flown (single missions, large parts of the GOW, Operation Medvedev II and Vergeev campaigns and the entirety of the Deployment Campaign), missions don't depend on precise timing.

Actually, missions in stock Falcon 4.0 were more timing dependent than almost any mission I've ever flown in DCS. Dear Santa, with X-mas fast approaching, how about DCS: Dynamic Campaign...? :music_whistling: :D

No, what I think he means is:

1. Will autopilot overcome lack of trim?

2. Is there a continuously computed Time On Target indicator for coordinated alpha strikes (like Falcon 4.0)

What I understand to be the answers:

1. no - You have to trim for speed and alt, then AP attempts to hold those values.. in other words, you have to zero out your controls to those values because stick inputs (or the counter input of not trimming) overcomes AP (i.e. if you have your stick 40% forward, then set AP, then let go of the stick.. the AP receives -40% input after you let go of the stick if you're not trimmed)

2. no - It tells you when you'll arrive at your NAV point, but there is no indication that you're going to be late for an alpha strike. In missions where this is important the briefing provides a takeoff time and speed to maintain enroute