FPS with details...?

fitness88

I understand the FPS info, but what does all the other info mean? Is it info to know what is costing you video ram which would be a good way to tweak your 3D settings...?

Debugging time information to see what is consuming time during one cycle / frame ... probably displayed here in miliseconds . I think the memory usage is an average/total usage of RAM + CG , since you can not realy know what is stored where. This is the CG driver who choose how to manage memory , sometime it's in the main Ram and other time in the Cg Ram, this is fluctuant.

I also guess that "Render" is mainly CG drawing related, and "Scene" is the objects's graph exploration/sorting/updating which is CPU related.

If you want to tweak memory, set the texture detail level to medium or low, textures are the biggest memory usage.

Edited by sedenion

FPS (Not sure what value in parenthesis means)

Mission time

MIS???

Objects drawn on screen

Polygons drawn on screen

FT (Complementary opposite of FPS)

How many FT are spent on drawing each component of the image

RAM use (or VRAM?)

Camera angles???

If the MFD/Mirror FT value is high that means you should turn those settings down but in your case only Main is high (no MFDs/Mirrors on-screen so that makes sense) meaning you have to turn down general/view settings if you want a better FPS/FT.

FPS (Not sure what value in parenthesis means)

Mission time

MIS???

Objects drawn on screen

Polygons drawn on screen

FT (Complementary opposite of FPS)

How many FT are spent on drawing each component of the image

RAM use (or VRAM?)

Camera angles???

If the MFD/Mirror FT value is high that means you should turn those settings down but in your case only Main is high (no MFDs/Mirrors on-screen so that makes sense) meaning you have to turn down general/view settings if you want a better FPS/FT.

Turn down General view settings, would that mean in the DCS options, lower from high to medium or medium to low or is it in my video 3D card settings that I should be turning down?

Turn down General view settings, would that mean in the DCS options, lower from high to medium or medium to low or is it in my video 3D card settings that I should be turning down?

Yes.

If your "Mirrors" value becomes high when you are flying with mirrors activated and the mirrors are currently on screen that means a lot of time is spent drawing them and since the graphics card won't send the image to your monitor until it is fully drawn that means your frametime (time to draw the frame) will increase and framerate (frequency frames are displayed at) decrease.

However in this case the only high values are “General” and “Scene” that aren’t something you can simply switch off with only a setting and means that your computer is generally sweating.

In order to decrease the general work your computer has to do you can attempt turning down all of the graphics settings from high to medium and if your performance increases that means your graphics card is the weaker one however on my computer with a stronger graphics card than CPU changing any of the graphics settings doesn’t make any difference because my graphics card can always keep up with my CPU (which is generally the case with new computers).

The other set of options are the CPU settings including draw distance (view distance) and all of that which is something your CPU handles more than your graphics card. Decreasing your draw distance will almost always increase your performance and if it doesn’t then it’s a sign you have a stronger CPU than graphics card and that it’s your graphics card slugging behind on drawing the details and not your CPU slugging behind on calculating what needs to be drawn.

Anyways see what your framerate/frametime is when simply flying straight and watching the ground at a small altitude so the vegetation is also drawn. It should be 30-60 fps to be enjoyable however at around 20 most users will experience the screen chopping and the controls becoming slow.

If it’s down at 20 that’s a sign your computer isn’t doing well and you should first try turning down all the settings with a drop-down menu then the draw distance or play around with the presets that change everything simultaneously automatically.

It’s quite important to know that the performance is affected by both the CPU and the graphics card and they are usually of different strength so changing some settings may not affect gameplay at all and you can play with them at the highest setting constantly while some other settings will immediately slow down the game significantly on nearly anyone’s computer (such as mirrors).

In 2011 I was still using a 5 year old CPU or so and bought a brand new graphics card and was surprised that changing anti-aliasing settings up or down in video games didn't affect my performance at all anymore while it used to have extreme effects. It was only because my CPU was now a lot slower than my graphics card and it was struggling to do what it has to do while my graphics card easily could handle anti-aliasing which is one of the things the graphics card does quite independently.

Edited by Archer7

Great explanation Archer7 !!!

Should be framed and hung on the entrance door ;)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the explanation Archer7. Since changing my video card from 512 to 2 gig my FPS went up 4-6 times what they were. Now averaging 30-60 with highs over 80 FPS but in reality above 30 I don't really need the extra FPS so I spend it on quality. With all but mirrors on and graphic options at high I'm averaging 35-45, and 25-30 when coming in for a rainy day landing.

I will use the screen info to help me fine tune my graphic options.

Thanks again.

My computer is a Dell XPS 730 from 2008

intel core2 quad cpu, q9550 @ 2.83GHz

ram 8 gig

[Display]

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Driver version: 344.65

Direct3D API version: 11

Direct3D feature level: 11_0

CUDA Cores: 640

Core clock: 1071 MHz

Memory data rate: 5400 MHz

Memory interface: 128-bit

Memory bandwidth: 86.40 GB/s

Total available graphics memory: 4096 MB

Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5

Edited by fitness88

Archer7, can you please explain why in the screen shot below:

Screen_141127_185117.thumb.jpg.20e3f1f04bacd305021264422ac192d7.jpg

1. This screen shot shows as an example, no cockpit and yet cockpit is showing 2.5 in the Render Total line. I thought if an object is not on the screen then it won't be calculated into the usage, using mirrors as your example?
  2. Render Trial = 17.2 but if you add up the individual values they come out to 16.5. Shouldn't it equal 17.2. Same thing with Scene = 7.2, but if you add up the individual values there they come out to 8.5?
  3. From your previous post: "However in this case the only high values are “General” and “Scene” that aren’t something you can simply switch off with only a setting and means that your computer is generally sweating. What do you mean by "General", I don't see it listed?

Thanks.

Edited by fitness88