VOR no-Line-of-Sight reception bug

Huesudo

? Its still just a radio signal.

It's been a long time since I remembered the frequencies, but very low frequency radio waves that's been used over the world for normal radio (maybe they still are) could travel to the opposite side of the Earth because they bounced of off the upper layers of atmosphere. No LOS there. No idea whether this is the case with NDB, but physically it's completely possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HF radios require a precise tweak of the frequency used to actually succesfully go over the horizon. The usable frequency differs for each specific time during the day and enviromental conditions. Eventhough a NDB might be a shortwave frequency its still not a dedicated over the horizon beacon and requires LOS. Those few times I usee them when they were still in commision, you already got a weak and fluctuating direction at 20nm, ofcourse dependig on the power output of the station.

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

229th Air Cav, D Coy, Gunships

I received a NDB 270NM away at 15000'. The horizon should be around 150NM away at that altitude if you use the old approximation formula of 1,23x SqRt (Alt.).

I also received an NDB 40NM away when on ground at the airport. And there' a 4000' high mountain range between me and the beacon, so no LoS there.

• 4 weeks later...